Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

HP DesignJet 1050c Color problem

What is the problem...!
    We have av "old" 1050c that have working perfect for the last 10 years (!) and now,
    on testprint, it's only b/w on the head test but color on next part of the test page
    and when a send file to the printer it's also b/w that prints...!
    IMG_3497_s.jpg.
    Left the current one, and right the old one that's ok..!??
    Have tried to read service manual, ... could it be Drop detector ...?
    All heads ok!
    /Lars

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: HP DesignJet 1050c Color problem

I've never seen that before. When you run the test print, did you have 'color' selected on the front panel? That's about the only time when that button does anything; when printing internal prints. I don't know if it would cause that effect though.

For it to be happening when you send a print is even stranger. What are you printing from? And what driver? Did anything change?

It's not the drop detector.

Kiran

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Just out of curiosity, how did you decide that the heads are OK? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Just out of curiosity, how did you decide that the heads are OK? =^..^=
    Part 3 (the color bars) of the print come out correctly, so I'd agree the heads are OK. Just my two cents!

Kiran

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    I've never seen that before. When you run the test print, did you have 'color' selected on the front panel? That's about the only time when that button does anything; when printing internal prints. I don't know if it would cause that effect though.

For it to be happening when you send a print is even stranger. What are you printing from? And what driver? Did anything change?

It's not the drop detector.

Kiran
    That's an internal print in the Image Quality menu. I had the same problem a few years ago. I honestly don't recall exactly what it was but I'll take a look today at my 1055CM and see if I can recreate the problem. I do know it's just a menu button push problem, not an ink supply or mechanical issue.

Technician

Thanks for the reply!
    This problem occurred after I used loose sheets for a job and after that the problem occurred!
    Tried changing a head (C) and it's still the same problem!
    Must be an internal problem in the printer (!?) because I do an internal print in the printer test menu ..?
    Regards
    Lars

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    That's an internal print in the Image Quality menu. I had the same problem a few years ago. I honestly don't recall exactly what it was but I'll take a look today at my 1055CM and see if I can recreate the problem. I do know it's just a menu button push problem, not an ink supply or mechanical issue.
    Hi!
    Have you had time to check what was possibly wrong with your printer?
    Regards
    Lars

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Kiran nailed it. Checked it just now (sorry for the delay) and on the front panel, to the left of the display, you have a button that says "Color"/Grayscale". Be sure this is set to "Color". I just now set mine to "Grayscale" and got the same result you posted a picture of. When this happened to me awhile back I completely overlooked that button. I was doing some work on the printer and must've inadvertently set it to "Grayscale". Soon as I switched it to "Color" it started to print the Quality Image in color again.

Hope that works for you. Thanks to Kiran for posting up the suggestion earlier.

Heh, in all my years, I never knew that set to greyscale would affect that test print. You learn something new every day.

But why would it affect his prints from a PC? The settings in the driver always override the front panel settings. Unless he's using something out of the ordinary, like a generic PS driver (though he said it's a 1050C, not a 1055CM) or maybe Linux and the driver doesn't tell the PC color/greyscale.

Kiran

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    Kiran nailed it. Checked it just now (sorry for the delay) and on the front panel, to the left of the display, you have a button that says "Color"/Grayscale". Be sure this is set to "Color". I just now set mine to "Grayscale" and got the same result you posted a picture of. When this happened to me awhile back I completely overlooked that button. I was doing some work on the printer and must've inadvertently set it to "Grayscale". Soon as I switched it to "Color" it started to print the Quality Image in color again.

Hope that works for you. Thanks to Kiran for posting up the suggestion earlier.
    Hi!
    Thanks for your help...!
    Yes, this was the problem!
    I've worked with large format printers for almost 20 years and have never had a problem that I couldn't solve - until now...
    A bit embarrassing that there is a button on the panel that was set incorrectly!
    A small excuse could be that I don't use it much today except for cad drawings ..!
    Tanks!
    /Regards
    Lars