Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HP Designjet 815mfp Wide Format Scanner WON'T TURN ON! HELP!

Hey guys,

We were claibrating our scanner and shut it down when completed. We tried to turn it on the next day and nothing. It's completely dead. We had one of the power boards (smaller one under the glass) tested for blown resisters, etc and everything seems okay.

Any suggestions?

Note: Obviously we tried different power chords and different outlets. Btw there seems to be a slight ticking sound but no led's on the boards turn on as normal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    HP Designjet 815mfp Wide Format Scanner  WON'T TURN ON!  HELP!

Lightbulb Re: HP Designjet 815mfp Wide Format Scanner WON'T TURN ON! HELP!

This Parts & Service Manual can now be purchased for $12.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from:

Just Manuals, The Internet's largest selection of manuals ~ Instant Downloads

Paul@justmanuals.com

Technician

Re: HP Designjet 815mfp Wide Format Scanner WON'T TURN ON! HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by jdichter View Post
    Hey guys,

We were claibrating our scanner and shut it down when completed. We tried to turn it on the next day and nothing. It's completely dead. We had one of the power boards (smaller one under the glass) tested for blown resisters, etc and everything seems okay.

Any suggestions?

Note: Obviously we tried different power chords and different outlets. Btw there seems to be a slight ticking sound but no led's on the boards turn on as normal.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    Jdichter, I have the same problem with my 815 scanner. I have the service manual and haven't found anything in it about how to resolve this issue. I replaced the power board under the top cover but no improvement. I realize this is an old post but was wondering if you ever got yours working? Thanks.

Plotterguy

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Does the monitor come on at all?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by D Hook View Post
    Does the monitor come on at all?
    Yes. Monitor boots to HP home screen (tabs at top with scan, copy, print, etc.) Displays "No Scanner found" Rescan/Demo. Scanner console LED's on but not flashing and remain on. Lamp is on. Feed will respond to jog in both directions but only incremental. I've checked the Firewire connections and they are seated.20221210_181922.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I believe the issue is the scanner is failing to boot, meaning it's likely the main PCA. However, the power supply in these are notoriously bad; despite the fact it does power up, I wouldn't rule out the power supply board. You might check the power supply voltages and see if they're correct.

FoxitReader_2022-12-18_15-35-29.jpg
    FoxitReader_2022-12-18_15-37-53.jpg

Kiran

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    I believe the issue is the scanner is failing to boot, meaning it's likely the main PCA. However, the power supply in these are notoriously bad; despite the fact it does power up, I wouldn't rule out the power supply board. You might check the power supply voltages and see if they're correct.

FoxitReader_2022-12-18_15-35-29.jpg
    FoxitReader_2022-12-18_15-37-53.jpg

Kiran
    I will test the board using your instructions Kiran and I'll let you know what I find. Thank you for the reply and information.
    Plotterguy.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Plotterguy View Post
    I will test the board using your instructions Kiran and I'll let you know what I find. Thank you for the reply and information.
    Plotterguy.
    Good Afternoon Kiran,
    The power supply board checked out 100% so we can dismiss that component and thank you for the diagrams and pin info. The good news is the LED's have changed to green on power and amber on the hourglass at the console. The others LED's are blank. The monitor however still doesn't see the scanner on start up. I re-seated the Firewire cable at both ends but it didn't produce any results. I noticed the driver board (right side of unit) has a amber led blinking at 04 and solid green at 05 (no red on 03). The cooling fan is running and the lamp is on too. I'm lost at this point.

Just curious; what is the credit card looking holder doing. I cycled it but didn't notice anything changing. Looks like its been inside for awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

From what you describe, it sounds like the scanner is now booting. You might want to try holding the firewire cable in different positions and see if it's a bad connection at the scanner. I had one and had to jam a piece of paper into the connector for it to keep a connection. Ultimately the board failed and it was the end of my scanner. If yours has a SCSI interface you can try connecting with that and see if the interface board works at all. I don't know of any other way to tell, other than to replace it. It appears LPS has one.

Designjet 815mfp 4200 Scanner Firewire Interface Board

If that doesn't resolve it then I would suspect the main PCA, but the lights you described are normal, so... not sure there. It's really a matter of trial and error at this point.

Kiran

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Kiran Otter View Post
    From what you describe, it sounds like the scanner is now booting. You might want to try holding the firewire cable in different positions and see if it's a bad connection at the scanner. I had one and had to jam a piece of paper into the connector for it to keep a connection. Ultimately the board failed and it was the end of my scanner. If yours has a SCSI interface you can try connecting with that and see if the interface board works at all. I don't know of any other way to tell, other than to replace it. It appears LPS has one.

Designjet 815mfp 4200 Scanner Firewire Interface Board

If that doesn't resolve it then I would suspect the main PCA, but the lights you described are normal, so... not sure there. It's really a matter of trial and error at this point.

Kiran
    I spoke to Tim about the board a few weeks ago. Thought I would work my way across the machine before I bought anymore surplus parts. At least I have a starting point with the other 2 scanners now. Thanks for all the help and Happy Holidays.