Technician

HP LJ Pro 400 M475 programming new Serial number and page count

Hello,

I have an HP LaserJet Pro 400 M475, that I just replaced the formatter board. And I was wondering if anybody knew how to change the serial number from XXXXXXXXXX to the actual Serial number. I know with the older models you have to go into service mode and change it manually, but with these newer devices Im not sure if its the same way or not. I went throughout the entire menu and couldn't find anything thing that would even come close... or maybe Im just missing something. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Jimbo

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: HP LJ Pro 400 M475 programming new Serial number and page count

I don't know if it will work for you, but I can dig up some PJL commands that may help you set the serial number and other stuff. These commands were used on the earliest HPs. I'll see what I can find for you. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

These newer models are setup in a way that will allow the dc controller pca and formatter to share information and write that information back to eachother when one is replaced. If this information was somehow lost during initial boot-up after the repair I'm not aware of any way to maunually enter it on this model... If there is a way I would love to know what it is!

See exert from service manual below

WARNING! Do not install a replacement formatter PCA and DC controller PCA at the same time.
    The formatter PCA and the DC controller PCA store important product configuration information
    (NVRAM data) that is lost if both PCAs are replaced at the same time. When the product power is
    turned on, the DC controller restores the NVRAM data on the replacement formatter.

NOTE: The base model does not have a fax card installed.
    Replacing the formatter PCA before the DC controller PCA
    Use the following procedure if you need to install a replacement formatter PCA and a replacement DC
    controller.
    NOTE: If you are only installing a replacement formatter PCA, go to Remove the formatter PCA and
    fax PCA on page 76.
    1. Install a replacement formatter PCA.
    2. Turn the product on, and wait for the print-cartridge volume indicators to appear on the control
    panel display.
    NOTE: This allows important product information to be written to the replacement formatter PCA.
    3. Turn the product off.
    4. Install a replacement DC controller. See DC controller PCA on page 80.
    5. Turn the product on.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

So what happens if both are bad? Come to think of it, when else would you replace them both. And if both are bad, how in the world would either one be able to update the other? I hate to say it, but it sounds like HP didn't think this through all the way.

I have a M600 in the field right now that has a row of X's for the serial number. Of course, I was the only one who noticed it because I was just getting for my own records. The customer is unaware. I never replaced anything on this machine. My plan was to look it up and update it the next visit... but if the above post counts for the m600 series, I really don't know how to get the proper serial number on it. Grrrr.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by theengel View Post
    So what happens if both are bad? Come to think of it, when else would you replace them both. And if both are bad, how in the world would either one be able to update the other? I hate to say it, but it sounds like HP didn't think this through all the way.

I have a M600 in the field right now that has a row of X's for the serial number. Of course, I was the only one who noticed it because I was just getting for my own records. The customer is unaware. I never replaced anything on this machine. My plan was to look it up and update it the next visit... but if the above post counts for the m600 series, I really don't know how to get the proper serial number on it. Grrrr.
    Doesn't it have the usual external stamped metal plate somewhere, or a sticker inside the toner add cover? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Sharp & HP Tech 100+ Posts austonrush's Avatar

The LJ M601/602/603 has a service menu that will allow you to set a serial number, so no worries there

The PIN for the HP LaserJet Enterprise 600 M601,
    M602, and M603 Series Printer is 10060111, 10060211, or 10060311 depending on your model.
    1. Press the Home button.
    2. Open the following menus:
    ● Device Maintenance
    ● Service
    ● Service Access Code

First level Second level Third level Description

Print Event Log Use this item to print the
    service event log.

View Event Log Use this item to view the
    service event log.

Clear Event Log Use this item to clear (erase)
    the service event log.

Cycle Counts Mono Cycle Counts Use this item to reset the
    mono print job page count.

Refurbish Cycle Count Use this item to reset the
    refurbuish print job page
    count.

Serial Number Use this item to reset the
    product serial number.

Service ID Use this item to reset the
    product service identification
    number.

Cold Reset Paper Use this item to set the cold
    reset paper size.

Test Support Continuous Print from
    USB

Use this item to test print from
    an external USB.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts theengel's Avatar

Thanks... I guess I could have looked that up before griping about it. From the thread it sounded like the newer models don't allow you to program in the serial number. The very idea just irritates me.

That's what I love about this forum. Information can be found, even several years later. I'm having an issue with needing to update the serial number on a M477--or continue to send in meters to my company, because the meter collection program doesn't recognize this printer anymore after I changed the formatter, and the serial number disappeared. I may have been a complete dipwad and didn't swap everything over (I'm usually good about that, but have been known to miss things).

I suppose I can call HP and see if there's anything that can be done with current technology, since serial ports don't exist on these newer models.

Peace.

Sr. Service Tech 100+ Posts Murv's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techie0419 View Post
    That's what I love about this forum. Information can be found, even several years later. I'm having an issue with needing to update the serial number on a M477--or continue to send in meters to my company, because the meter collection program doesn't recognize this printer anymore after I changed the formatter, and the serial number disappeared. I may have been a complete dipwad and didn't swap everything over (I'm usually good about that, but have been known to miss things).

I suppose I can call HP and see if there's anything that can be done with current technology, since serial ports don't exist on these newer models.

Peace.
    Edit the text file below - Make sure to replace the % with the ascii ESC character

%-12345X@PJL SET SERVICEMODE=HPBOISEID
    @PJL DEFAULT SERIALNUMBER=PHB5C13790 <-- Put your SN here
    @PJL DEFAULT MODELNUMBER=“C1234B” <-- Put your model # here
    @PJL SET SERVICEMODE=EXIT
    @PJL RESET
    %-12345X

Open an FTP window
    Send the above file to printer

That's how we used to do it WAYYYYYYY back when, and I've done it to a couple of newer models. Not all of them will take the bait, though.