Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician
    HP DJ T610/1100 hard drive and firmware

Does anybody have any experience with cloning hard drive for these machines? I have two that for "data security" had hard drives removed and disposed of. Standard 80 GB SATA laptop hard drive makes unit to display 08:11 error. An attempt to copy one from working unit was unsuccessful.
    Is there a way to fix it besides buying new hard drive from HP? Thanks,

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: HP DJ T610/1100 hard drive and firmware

Unfortunately no, all the S/N's have to flash to the new firmware on the drive I believe, and only a new setup from hp will do it. weve had to replace a few smoked drives. try LPT and see if they have any.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I see some drives on ebay for $145.

What did you try to clone the drive with? I've used O&O Disk Image on other drives. I haven't had to fiddle with a T-series drive, yet.

The O&O Disk Image has a free 30 day trial.

Kiran

Technician

I called LPS and they only sell hard drives with formatter board - that's over $400 expense. I've seen hard drives from China on eBay for $150 but it takes at least couple of weeks to get here. I used standalone hard drive duplicator from StarTech and it could not clone, had IT guys try Norton Ghost and DD, even MacPro could not mount this hard drive. If hooked-up to Windows PC or Mac it shows as non-partitioned empty hard drive. HP really did a number on this one! Thanks for all your help guys. If anybody knows "how to" - I am all ears.

Not a service manager 2,500+ Posts Iowatech's Avatar

I'm not sure how much this will help, but I think if you don't have the original hard drive from the the machine, drive duplication technology won't help.
    If you want to use locally sourced hard drives that actually will connect to the formatter properly, I think you need to hook the drive up to a PC first and format it as FAT16 or FAT32, then install it in the machine, and then load the firmware found on HP's website.
    That's just a guess though. Sorry if it was a waste of time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Check with Tom Bush at designjetpartsfast.com

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

FACT: Designjet T610FACT: Designjet T1100Questions/Symptoms
    SYMPTOM:Not booting upSYMPTOM:System Error 08:11Cause
    CAUSE: Unknown at this timeAnswer/Solution
    FIX:

System error 08:11 is an error that prevents the printer from being used. Printing cannot be performed until the error is eliminated. Normally, this error is caused by corruption or interrupted communication with the front panel. In some cases it is solved by re-seating the cable on the back of the panel.

Call center support:
    1. Verify if the front panel is connected correctly.

2. With the printer powered off and the power cable disconnected, open the main center cover/window and carefully remove the front panel from the printer (see the first illustration that follows), then disconnect the cable from the back side of the panel and re-seat it (see the second illustration that follows).

front panel 1.jpg

front panel 2.jpg

3. Now snap the panel back into the correct position, and power up the printer to test. If the error does not reoccur, troubleshoot no further as the issue is resolved. If it reoccurs, proceed to the next step.

4. Make sure the formatter is not loose. If the formatter is loose, then remove it. With the formatter out of the printer, check that the memory SODIMM is correctly connected to the formatter, then re-seat the Formatter (see the illustration that follows).

formatter.jpg

5. If the issue continues, an on-site repair may be needed.

On-site repair technician troubleshooting instructions:

Ensure that the printer has the latest Firmware (FW) version on-board (version 8.0.0.3 or later). If it needs to be updated, update the printer in an FTP session using the firmware file that has the "PLT" extension. To do the update perform the following steps:

1. Make a note of the printer IP address. Turn the printer Off and enter into the Diagnostic Mode by using the method that follows:

a. With the printer Off, press and hold the UP and OK keys. While holding these keys down, press and hold the power key to turn On the printer and watch the power key light flash.

b. Continue to hold the three keys until the power key stops flashing; usually after about 20 seconds.

2. Once the FW is has been saved on the PC and is ready to be sent to the printer, use an FTP session PUT command to send the FW upgrade "PLT" file to the printer IP address. For information on FTP syntax, see the document titled HP Designjet Printers - How to Copy Firmware Using FTP on a Network (bpp03613).

Click here to view the document titled "HP Designjet Printers - How to Copy Firmware Using FTP on a Network.

The printer will receive the firmware file without showing any front panel activity. After it is finished processing the upgrade, the printer will reboot automatically. At this point, Error 08:11 should have been eliminated.

NOTE: If after all the preceding steps have been tried the error remains, replace the following parts one by one, testing each before proceeding to try the next.

1. If the printer is new (out of the box) and the error appears suddenly, and the FW 8.0.0.3 PLT did not eliminate it, then for the selected printer models replace the Formatter.

2. If the error appeared after a previous on-site hardware repair, ensure that the front panel cable and other harness cables are not pinched or incorrectly routed without ferrite rings. If needed, replace a damaged harness cable or front panel.

3. If after replacing the Formatter, Front Panel, and harness parts or front panel cable, the error is still not eliminated, then replace the Main PCA.

Note: Part numbers are subject to change, be careful when choosing them, it is recommended to always double check them at the Click here to view part surfer
    site. If Removal and Installation instructions are needed for reference during any repairs performed, refer to the HP Designjet T-Series Service Manual

Technician

It does not come to error code if formatter board does NOT have hard drive mounted - screen stays blank, HP logo "no show". I found some information that stated "HP-Unix language is used to write firmware on hard drive". Basically, for a regular Joe it is copy protected, can not be duplicated so have to be purchased from HP only. Well, China it is.