Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: C258 SMB errors

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

C258 SMB errors

I installed a Bizhub C258 to print and scan. When installing print drivers it wouldn't automatically find the printer on the network. I had to go into devices and printers and install it manually on all the computers (6). Then while setting up SMB scanning I only worked on two of the computers. On the other four I get a 16711703 (failed to connect to the server) error when I use the host name, and a 16712692 (The user does not have write permission to the folder. The access is rejected) error when I use IP address. Has anyone had an issue like this. I'm guessing the print driver problem is related to firmware or version, however, I'm not sure what is going on with the scanning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

Re: C258 SMB errors

#1 always install manually by IP don't use a samba port it's a train wreck.
    As far as smb scanning upgrade the FW to the latest. Was at a c287 this morning and smb scans didn't go through no matter what so I upgraded the FW an viola it worked right off..
    Also there is another thread here about turning off a security setting under client settings in SMB that may help too.
    Also make sure you add read write permissions for the user to the shared folder. Just using everyone will never work.
    I posted the smb setup guide here a few threads down maybe refer to that.

Good luck.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    #1 always install manually by IP don't use a samba port it's a train wreck.
    As far as smb scanning upgrade the FW to the latest. Was at a c287 this morning and smb scans didn't go through no matter what so I upgraded the FW an viola it worked right off..
    Also there is another thread here about turning off a security setting under client settings in SMB that may help too.
    Also make sure you add read write permissions for the user to the shared folder. Just using everyone will never work.
    I posted the smb setup guide here a few threads down maybe refer to that.

Good luck.
    Not sure what a samba port is, but I usually install print drivers by just clicking on the extracted file and clicking "next" Works almost every time.
    I will be going back next week with firmware and go from there.
    Thanks.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

windows creates its own port to print via netbios.
    manually adding the printer via TCP-IP is the best solid way to go.

Aging Tech 10,000+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    windows creates its own port to print via netbios.
    manually adding the printer via TCP-IP is the best solid way to go.
    I truly do know how to install print drivers. I DO install them using IP. I am not an IT professional so netbios and samba port are greek to me. You seem to be missing what the problem is.
    Normally when I install print drivers, I just click on the extracted file, the program searches the network for the printer, it finds the printer by the IP address. And then I click "Install". During this install, the program was unable to find the printer and I had to go into "Devices and printers" and use "Add a printer". I am guessing it is a firmware issue.

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I installed a Bizhub C258 to print and scan. When installing print drivers it wouldn't automatically find the printer on the network. I had to go into devices and printers and install it manually on all the computers (6). Then while setting up SMB scanning I only worked on two of the computers. On the other four I get a 16711703 (failed to connect to the server) error when I use the host name, and a 16712692 (The user does not have write permission to the folder. The access is rejected) error when I use IP address. Has anyone had an issue like this. I'm guessing the print driver problem is related to firmware or version, however, I'm not sure what is going on with the scanning. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
    If the search and find doesn't work when installing the print driver there are always problems. Try both CD and download the latest driver, sometimes one works and the other doesn't. You may also try a different IP for the machine. Once the driver wizard finds the machine you should be fine.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

Quote Originally Posted by copier addict View Post
    I truly do know how to install print drivers. I DO install them using IP. I am not an IT professional so netbios and samba port are greek to me. You seem to be missing what the problem is.
    Normally when I install print drivers, I just click on the extracted file, the program searches the network for the printer, it finds the printer by the IP address. And then I click "Install". During this install, the program was unable to find the printer and I had to go into "Devices and printers" and use "Add a printer". I am guessing it is a firmware issue.
    I second the FW road..also im greek and i find this post offensive! lol
    I don't like the new copier I just bought. It says "put face down" but every time I do it, it blinds my eyes.

Technician

Always install with the IP address on a network. As far as smb (samba), you'll need to make sure the ports are open in the firewall on any workstation or server you want to scan to. Samba runs on TCP ports 137, 138, and 139 plus 445 and UDP ports 137 and 138. Go to the workstation or server running windows and create a shared folder. You want to make sure the user that you input on the copier has read and write permissions on the shared folder. You'll input the path to the shared folder, user and password on the copier to access the share.

Technician

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    C258 SMB errors

If the computer was unable to find the copier on the network, it's because the port is set for "NetBIOS over DHCP", which makes network discovery and SMB scan dicey at best!

This walkthrough will show you how to configure the computer's settings and make your life a lot easier!

Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP with Windows

Good luck!