Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Lock document being scanned until completed

Quote Originally Posted by BHM View Post
    Not sure how much scanning is being done but you could scan the files into a temp folder and once the scanning is complete, manually move the files to the watched folder. This could file moving could be automated with software if need be.

I can not think of any way to lock the file until it is completed scanning or fo the machine to change the extension.
    Hi!

We need a solution for departments that do scanning all day. They get the documents from many departments and scanning is their entire position. Our software has already been built to wait until a document is 6 minutes old before it picks it up. The Konica is taking so long to send it over, we're talking 10 minutes.

This question is for my customer, I can't change anything about their environment. The only thing I know is that they are using a Konica Minolta, it is SMB and they are using separate scan.

@rrrohan
    Our software waits until a documents modified date is 6 minutes old (configurable) already. We had to up it to 6 minutes. The idea is to scan as much paper as possible into the system each day.

NOTE: This is happening only on the documents coming from the Konica. They have other scanners that are scanned to the same network location and the scanner doesn't take as long to deliver.

We cannot add more software, we need a scanner level solution. If the Konica is not going to offer or do any of the suggested items then perhaps another scanner will?

Quote Originally Posted by D_L_P View Post
    In my experience seeing a 0 byte file has been due to having read/write but not modify rights. However you're not scanning via smb.

Is it possible to delete and recreate the scanner object in your scanning software?

IIRC certain scanning software,I wont name here, had a temp folder that had to have the contents deleted a couple times a uear. The folder would fill up and cause partial scan jobs or memory errors. Maybe the software you're using has a similar scanlog that needs cleared?
    Our service account has full access to that network folder, those credentials are used on the scanner to scan to that location

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JenniField View Post
    Our service account has full access to that network folder, those credentials are used on the scanner to scan to that location
    If it takes more than 6 minutes to transfer a scan document to a folder it sounds like their network is terrible. It's possible separate scan is set to page instead of batch, but it sounds like a network issue.

Utility-> User settings->Copier settings-> Separate scan output method-> set to "batch".

If it is set to batch you can try making the file size smaller by lowering the resolution, 150x150 is still great for test, use compact pdf or higher compression for jpeg.
    6 minutes is more than enough time to transfer even a large (300 mb +) file over a lan.

1. Replace the patch cable from wall to copier.
    2. Turn off chatty protocols, appletalk, bonjour, upnp, smb server.
    3. If possible have them try segmenting off the copier and users with a vlan.

From a workstation open command prompt and ping with the -l switch.

Ping -t -l 1024 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

This will ping the copier with 1mb data until you hit ctrl+c. Let it go for a minute or two.. Any request timed out is bad. Time above 40ms is bad for a lan. Don't worry about TTL.
    Hope this helps!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Lock document being scanned until completed

Strange its taking so long. Are you using searchable pft

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    Strange its taking so long. Are you using searchable pft
    My understanding is that they are just scanning in as much as the feeder will hold, putting in the next stack, hitting scan again, etc until the stack is completed. The scanner should just be creating a PDF image, no text.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Lock document being scanned until completed

searchable pdf is OCR more or less.
    have they tried compact pdf for faster scan file building?

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JenniField View Post
    My understanding is that they are just scanning in as much as the feeder will hold, putting in the next stack, hitting scan again, etc until the stack is completed. The scanner should just be creating a PDF image, no text.
    Separate scan has two send settings, page and batch. Batch will wait for the entire scan job to complete then send the data. Page will send send the data as it is being created. If it set to page it could explain the long send time.