Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: Bizhub C258 color and Bw drum unit

Quote Originally Posted by nitro912gr View Post
    Hello everyone, so you need to replace what exactly? The blue part only or the blue AND the black part behind it? (I have the chip changed, I just need to fix the half drum not touching right thing).

This difference isn't visible with just looking at it?
    I haven't touched the new units but I try to compare an older used one that was with the printer (that is dated before 2016) with the new unopened black drum and can't spot any difference of the old black with the new black.
    (yet the new unit can't sit right and I get that gradient printing).

Attachment 49155
    The differences aren't visible in your picture. If you are trying to use a black drum in place of a color drum, then the black end piece needs to be swapped between the new black drum and the old color drum. Depending on when that black drum was made, you may also need to swap the small black piece that is still on the metal drum shaft in your picture. One last thing that needs to come off is a small plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly, 3/4 of the way down the body of the drum towards the rear side.

The differences between the color and black drums (besides the chip itself) are:
    1) The piece of plastic that is held in place by the 2 screws on the black drum end cap in your picture. That piece is a spacer the affects the gap between the drum and dev unit. The black drums have a raised tab on that piece, where the color drums are flat.
    2) The plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly.

Konica-Minolta DR-313 Drum Comparison.jpg
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Technician

Talking Re: Bizhub C258 color and Bw drum unit

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    The differences aren't visible in your picture. If you are trying to use a black drum in place of a color drum, then the black end piece needs to be swapped between the new black drum and the old color drum. Depending on when that black drum was made, you may also need to swap the small black piece that is still on the metal drum shaft in your picture. One last thing that needs to come off is a small plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly, 3/4 of the way down the body of the drum towards the rear side.

The differences between the color and black drums (besides the chip itself) are:
    1) The piece of plastic that is held in place by the 2 screws on the black drum end cap in your picture. That piece is a spacer the affects the gap between the drum and dev unit. The black drums have a raised tab on that piece, where the color drums are flat.
    2) The plastic piece attached to the right side of the drum assembly.

Konica-Minolta DR-313 Drum Comparison.jpg
    Thank you very much for the clarification.
    My man sent me the drums without this modification (only the chip change) and I didn't want to sent them another trip back and forth because couriers are savages and those are delicate parts.
    He told me by phone what to do but having a clear picture of what I'm looking for helps a ton.

Field Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bizhub C258 color and Bw drum unit

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Helpdesk View Post
    We don't bother changing the chips we use adapters !

Very easy to convert the black drums to color and the savings are massive.
    I know this is old but with today's shortages we find we have Black drum and can't get color drums. Do you know if these adapters are still available? and where I may purchase them? Thanks
    Online Store is closed. Chip resetting is a thing of the past! Thank you to all my past customers.
    Now into Ip TV KODI Boxes

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Can someone please give me a tip? I changed the black and blue front from an old color drum onto the new black drum. I replaced 2 drums and both had the same problem. Where is the trick?
    sample.jpgsample2.jpg

Thank you for feedback.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by occus View Post
    Can someone please give me a tip? I changed the black and blue front from an old color drum onto the new black drum. I replaced 2 drums and both had the same problem. Where is the trick?
    The two suggestions I have are:

1) Don't leave the tiny screw behind when you remove the small black tab on the side of the K-drum. Some people just tend to pull the plastic tab off and then never remove the screw that was holding it in place.
    2) Once the blue handle piece is removed, you are faced with FIVE (5) screws in the black plastic end-cap. Remove only the three (3) screws with the wide heads, DO NOT TOUCH the two (2) small head screws found on either side of the metal drum shaft! These hold a black plastic piece to the other side of the end-cap. If that piece is moved it will alter the gap (distance) between the drum and development unit and create all sorts chaos and mayhem with your copy quality, along with potential damage to the new drum as well as possibly draining of the developer from the development unit.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    The two suggestions I have are:

1) Don't leave the tiny screw behind when you remove the small black tab on the side of the K-drum. Some people just tend to pull the plastic tab off and then never remove the screw that was holding it in place.
    2) Once the blue handle piece is removed, you are faced with FIVE (5) screws in the black plastic end-cap. Remove only the three (3) screws with the wide heads, DO NOT TOUCH the two (2) small head screws found on either side of the metal drum shaft! These hold a black plastic piece to the other side of the end-cap. If that piece is moved it will alter the gap (distance) between the drum and development unit and create all sorts chaos and mayhem with your copy quality, along with potential damage to the new drum as well as possibly draining of the developer from the development unit.
    Many thanks for your support.

I didn't touch the two screws from the spacers. Yes, I left the small black screw that falls in when removing the blockage, but removed it afterwards. Unfortunately, it makes no difference in print quality.
    I also played around with the metal spring contact on the front. There is contact grease on it from the old color unit. I cleaned and removed them but that doesn't make a difference either.

At first there were other versions of image units where they then changed the spacer.
    My black imaging units are now new versions and I take the front part of the old factory color imaging units.
    Can that cause the problem? Can anyone confirm this has ever worked? Stripes are not visible at full tone pattern 255. I test always with 150 density.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by occus View Post
    Many thanks for your support.

I didn't touch the two screws from the spacers. Yes, I left the small black screw that falls in when removing the blockage, but removed it afterwards. Unfortunately, it makes no difference in print quality.
    I also played around with the metal spring contact on the front. There is contact grease on it from the old color unit. I cleaned and removed them but that doesn't make a difference either.

At first there were other versions of image units where they then changed the spacer.
    My black imaging units are now new versions and I take the front part of the old factory color imaging units.
    Can that cause the problem? Can anyone confirm this has ever worked? Stripes are not visible at full tone pattern 255. I test always with 150 density.
    On new style K drum there is an extra black plastic tab which I just remove and throw away because it hinder.
    I will do one next week and take some pics for you.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.