Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

Bizhub C280 error C2554

Hello People

this is an old machine with over a million prints on it and the client only wants to keep it running til the end of a build job they're doing (another month tops) - i realise this is a magenta problem, so i checked State Confirmation - Level History and while all the other colors showed around the 6% mark, magenta showed around the 10% mark

is it just depleted dev? any pointers would be very much appreciated

thanks in advance

Andy

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

Re: Bizhub C280 error C2554

Did you recently change the magenta drum? Sometimes when the drum is changed or re-chipped it crashes the developer. Especially if the consumable life counters are turned off and consumables are way over life. You customer will have to bite the bullet and replace the mag unit if they want to continue using it

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Did you recently change the magenta drum? Sometimes when the drum is changed or re-chipped it crashes the developer. Especially if the consumable life counters are turned off and consumables are way over life. You customer will have to bite the bullet and replace the mag unit if they want to continue using it
    nothing was recently changed and life counters are on - from memory the drum units were re-chipped a year ago but it has been printing fine til this error popped up,,, cyan dev is slightly depleted (very faint diagonal banding) but no such banding on magenta, which is producing a lovely solid with no backgrounding

i've seen similar problems before, but in those instances "level history' showed 3%, not 10%

replace the developer is the solution?
    Last edited by aAandy; 06-07-2018 at 12:00 AM.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

if the cyan is banding from depletion you will need to change both. i have seen these pull even if life has not been met.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

should mention you should change the drum too or it might pull again

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

Good points wox. Forgot that the drum should be changed at same time as new developer. Last thing you want is a bad drum to pull the developer out of a new unit.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

thanks for your responses gents, but the magenta dev is not being pulled, it prints perfectly - the cyan dev is only just showing the faintest signs of diagonal banding and they will put up with that for a month

just wanted to make sure it was the dev that's sick, not some toner supply issue - i imagine that the level history for magenta showing 10+% is indicative of the dev being bad (not depleted)

can either of you confirm?

Try this.

Block the toner port and run 20 halftones(255) then short out pin 1 and 5(ICP) on the dev tank connector while its plugged in an make the door switch for a second and a bit. That will reset the devtank and initialize the dev.
    Then for the depletion add DV116(yes its black) until the mag roller is covered and do the same to reset. Then run half tones(255) until the black toner is worked out, that will take around 200 to 300 print.

Bobs your uncle.
    Whatever

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Try this.

Block the toner port and run 20 halftones(255) then short out pin 1 and 5(ICP) on the dev tank connector while its plugged in an make the door switch for a second and a bit. That will reset the devtank and initialize the dev.
    Then for the depletion add DV116(yes its black) until the mag roller is covered and do the same to reset. Then run half tones(255) until the black toner is worked out, that will take around 200 to 300 print.

Bobs your uncle.
    I have had luck with running magenta (or whichever color the code is pointing to) gradations until the TCR levels returns to sub-8% depending on how high the level was before.
    Anytime I've seen one at 12% or above it signaled a developer/drum/high voltage issue. I've debated keeping the Life Stop setting ON specifically for this issue, but could cause me headaches in the field having to replace good drum units.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Bizhub C280 error C2554

many thanks gentlemen - i will try your suggestions