Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by CopierNerd View Post
    ... I will say i go by the book most of the time...
    That's not bad at all.
    In fact most of the techs I know around me prefer to lay on their vast experience(20+ years) and stay in analog era. They can handle any mechanical problem, but reading a book is big no-no for them.
    That's fine but at some point they will start to fail against new technologies.
    I highly appreciate senior members here with their experience and their development sometimes from typing machines of 70-80s to the nowadays when they are leading force of this fine Forum.
    Just be consistent, stay humble, ask your colleagues questions and finally one day you may find yourself amongst people here who HAVE answers
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopierNerd's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    That's not bad at all.
    In fact most of the techs I know around me prefer to lay on their vast experience(20+ years) and stay in analog era. They can handle any mechanical problem, but reading a book is big no-no for them.
    I highly appreciate senior members here with their experience and their development sometimes from typing machines of 70-80s to the nowadays when they are leading force of this fine Forum.
    Just be consistent, stay humble, ask your colleagues questions and finally one day you may find yourself amongst people here who HAVE answers
    Wonderful! what a perfect reply!
    Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CopierNerd View Post
    That is really a good idea, but can you please tell me that if i cut that spring and lower the tension of transfer roller then why that spring is there? Did the Engineer of Designer/manufacturer was fool to put that spring there? The spring is just to provide tension so that paper touch the drum firmly and equal and even print transfer is done.
    Been fixing design problems on theses machine for years these engineers are not all saints. The spring i mention does not press the roller against the drum that is 2 other springs doing that.
    The spring i refer to is for the paper guide only and the spacers for that guide press against the drum.
    Whatever

former propeller tester 250+ Posts

hey copiernerd, another idea, what if the contents of the dev unit were not circulating properly because of tank design, and over time the contents separated so that larger magnetic particles ended up at one end and smaller particles ended up at the other. I've seen dev spacers get blamed for faults when they were innocent

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

That's not bad at all.
    RE: analog era? I have worked on the old 'handcrank smelly ink" to analog..to digital units. 70's-80's ran my own 'Bulletin Board System' wrote doorways (Edlin) etc.. Built/Repaired PC's at nite.. I READ CONSTANTLY ..and if you notice.. MOST of us '20+' year techs.. we tell the folks asking the questions where answers can be found IN A BOOK.. to RTFM = read the fucking manual.
    RE: adapt to new tech.. totally agree.. have been out of the mainstream on : Food Prep/Cooking and Construction/Re-Modeling ... in my current *self imposed* lack of employment, and desire to repair/improve the homestead, I found my knowledge in those areas lacking. It didn't take long to get to speed on certain facets of them... but AGAIN.. I read..watched..inquired and finally executed the job... all good.
    61yrs is still not to late in life to learn..but I find I do have a harder problems with lazy/people with lacking common skills/knowledge.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    RE: analog era? I have worked on the old 'handcrank smelly ink" to analog..to digital units. 70's-80's ran my own 'Bulletin Board System' wrote doorways (Edlin) etc.. Built/Repaired PC's at nite.. I READ CONSTANTLY ..and if you notice.. MOST of us '20+' year techs.. we tell the folks asking the questions where answers can be found IN A BOOK.. to RTFM = read the fucking manual.
    RE: adapt to new tech.. totally agree.. have been out of the mainstream on : Food Prep/Cooking and Construction/Re-Modeling ... in my current *self imposed* lack of employment, and desire to repair/improve the homestead, I found my knowledge in those areas lacking. It didn't take long to get to speed on certain facets of them... but AGAIN.. I read..watched..inquired and finally executed the job... all good.
    61yrs is still not to late in life to learn..but I find I do have a harder problems with lazy/people with lacking common skills/knowledge.
    But the book can only lead you so far.. I’ve lost count of the times that my fellow younger engineers have fitted parts (usually expensive ones) because the manual says so, only to find it’s something else not even suggested. I always say to my guys that the manual only tells you how it works, not how it goes wrong!
    Intuition and experience count for a lot in this game.
    I’m not saying you shouldn’t use manuals ( you have to for codes etc) but as far as I’m concerned a manual is a tool to be used along with a good knowledge of the copy process and a well developed troubleshooting process.
    Phew I feel better now! Rant over.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Off topic

Phil B.
    Just for clarification I will quote myself:
    In fact most of the techs I know around me...
    Means most of techs in my area, techs I know in person(they are not CTN members, no way).
    I highly appreciate senior members here...
    Means what you think, seniors here in CTN.
    Take care and stay here even new challenges are more thrilling

P.S
    And yeah this young buck copier nerd is pretty cocky, but still may became valuable member here...one day.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Had one where the transfer roller metal guide was bent recently did exactly the same as you pictures.
    Not buying the mag brush theory on this one. look at the nature of the damaged. Mag brush will polish the surface off.
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

if you line up the transfer roller and the drum you will see what the wear is. remove the two screws on each end of the transfer roller and remove all but one on each side (black spacer) i have replaced new dev and still did it within 100k. its too much pressure on the drum. dev unit can and will do more damage when they get too bad on the dev unit

Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopierNerd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLADE View Post
    hey copiernerd, another idea, what if the contents of the dev unit were not circulating properly because of tank design, and over time the contents separated so that larger magnetic particles ended up at one end and smaller particles ended up at the other. I've seen dev spacers get blamed for faults when they were innocent
    What contents do you think may not circulating properly? when i rotate the gear manually, it circulates smoothly not stiff and mag brush is uniform, also circulating properly. There is no excessive developer deposited at any side.

DV Spacers circulate with a bearing inside. If that bearing comes out due to any reason the space or gap at that particular spacers becomes narrow and surface of drum gets in contact with the magnet roller. as a result drum get damage.

In this case there is no such signs. I have to trace the problematic part before replacement of transfer roller and drum unit.