Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Technician

Re: Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by ayeright View Post
    I enjoyed the thread especially for the idea of 20+ year tech's being considered oldies

20 year techs are newbies to some of us
    ))) Exactly.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by ayeright View Post
    I enjoyed the thread especially for the idea of 20+ year tech's being considered oldies

20 year techs are newbies to some of us
    LOL!! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts subaro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Muso View Post
    Thanks Sir for your reply. I agree that Alan fix is a kinda crazy)). To cut the springs and there is no explanation how much need to cut. And if you cut the springs and the pressure reduse more than needed you may have printing problems (pale printouts). But as he mentioned for him this solution worked. Sharing your experience working with Kyocera can tell that some issues and fixes can be that you never think off)). So what I did replaced this two spacer(round white plastic) from both side of the transfer roller and will be monitoring the drum. But the drum is already a little bit scratched. If the scratch will not increase than I can be sure that the issue is resolved. Otherwise I will hang myself in front of this copying machine))).

As I said before, I don't know that machine, but just working by the priciples of copier/printer basic mechanics. The transfer roller springs IMO, should never be cut or modified, as you also mentioned. It has the right enough tension, even it looses a bit in age, it should not be a problem.
    A question though. When you guys say you replace the drum, is it the entire assy or just the drum itself.
    The assy , as far as I see from the parts manual, has the charge grid and wire, the cleaning blade and the recovery blade. I see, most replace the cleaning blade and not the recovery blade. The recovery blade also gets worn and leaks toner, which gets onto the drum and then it drops on the charge grid. There is also the felt, that the drums sits on the ends that gets worn and needs to be replaced.
    Panasonic drums use to have these kind of issues as the entire drum parts had to be replaced or you would get all kind of symptoms, of toner leakage and lead to all kind of problems, if they were not rebuilt properly.
    Me, I stil think the problem is in that drum unit. The spaces do not rotate. The transfer roller rotates and the inside of the spacer has to be worn for the spacer to be a problem. This is my theory anyway.
    Let us know your results as you mention.
    THE ONLY THING FOR EVIL TO TRIUMPH IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING..........edmund burke

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Transfer Roller damaged, damaging Drum Unit

Quote Originally Posted by subaro View Post
    As I said before, I don't know that machine, but just working by the principles of copier/printer basic mechanics. The transfer roller springs IMO, should never be cut or modified, as you also mentioned. It has the right enough tension, even it looses a bit in age, it should not be a problem...
    I tend to agree with you. I've had transfer roller springs go missing ... and I've had to choose a replacement from my miscellany of springs ... but I've never tried to alter the transfer roller pressure.

... A question though. When you guys say you replace the drum, is it the entire assy or just the drum itself. The assy , as far as I see from the parts manual, has the charge grid and wire, the cleaning blade and the recovery blade. I see, most replace the cleaning blade and not the recovery blade. The recovery blade also gets worn and leaks toner, which gets onto the drum and then it drops on the charge grid. There is also the felt, that the drums sits on the ends that gets worn and needs to be replaced.
    Panasonic drums use to have these kind of issues as the entire drum parts had to be replaced or you would get all kind of symptoms, of toner leakage and lead to all kind of problems, if they were not rebuilt properly.
    Me, I stil think the problem is in that drum unit. The spaces do not rotate. The transfer roller rotates and the inside of the spacer has to be worn for the spacer to be a problem. This is my theory anyway.
    These drum units only come from KM as an assembly, but there are aftermarket sources for drums & blades. And yes, in my experience the biggest problems with drum units are the result of a poorly performed rebuild. Specifically there is a positioning adjustment for the drum within the assembly, and if it's not correct the developing roller spacing will be wrong, the charge wire spacing will be wrong, so one side or the other side of the image can be light if that rebuild is done incorrectly. IMHO the savings from replacing individual components in a drum unit are not worth the poor final results. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I have seen this but drum damage was outside image anyway and drum unit was over life and changed. Transfer roller also regularly changed, will check pressure next time.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

As I said before, I don't know that machine, but just working by the priciples of copier/printer basic mechanics. The transfer roller springs IMO, should never be cut or modified, as you also mentioned. It has the right enough tension, even it looses a bit in age, it should not be a problem.
    A question though. When you guys say you replace the drum, is it the entire assy or just the drum itself.
    The assy , as far as I see from the parts manual, has the charge grid and wire, the cleaning blade and the recovery blade. I see, most replace the cleaning blade and not the recovery blade. The recovery blade also gets worn and leaks toner, which gets onto the drum and then it drops on the charge grid. There is also the felt, that the drums sits on the ends that gets worn and needs to be replaced.
    Thanks for your reply. As for the drum I never change the parts. I always change the entire essy. The srange thing is that if the scratch strats even at 80k that will be ok for me (the drum life is 100k). But when it starts at 1k this s not normal. Sure I will update and hope the issue will be solved.