Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bizhub c3850 print control board replaced, will not boot past column screen. Need hel

Hey guys, big problem I cannot seem to solve...I have a 3850 which was throwing a code for toner cartridge M, saying it needed replacement after I put a new one in. Tried a bunch of things like cleaning the connector on the new cartridge, etc.

Anyway, I replaced the control board, swapped the EPROM chip, and now the machine won't get past the initial screen with the five columns you get when you first turn it on. I have ordered two boards, I get the same with both. I tried putting in the old board, and it boots past that screen and throws the magenta toner error.

Any ideas on what to do to get this pig back up and running? Many thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub c3850 print control board replaced, will not boot past column screen. Need hel

Re: Bizhub c3850 print control board replaced, will not boot past column screen. Need

double check the legs and orientation of the chip.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: Bizhub c3850 print control board replaced, will not boot past column screen. Need

Let me guess. You use used boards and didn't update FW?
    Two big NO-NOs.

Never use the combination of the used MFP board removed from another machine and the original EEPROM. This combination causes corruption of stored data.

Note that the combination of the original MFP board and the used EEPROM removed from another machine also causes the same problem.

Do not replace the MFP board and the printer control board with new ones at the same time.

When replacing the MFP board, in order to make the existing counter data become available in the new board, be sure to back up the counter data following the replacement procedure below.

When the MFP board is replaced, upgrade the firmware to the latest version.

Your best chance will be to return original MFP and call a tech to find why toner isn't recognized.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

I didn't replace both boards at the same time, and swapped the chip to the new control board as per Konica instruction and per the service manual. I am a tech, though very fresh to the field. Could you outline the procedure you'd follow to swap the control board out?

I guess I wasn't clear, I have only changed the one prj term control board, I have just tried multiple boards. But they sent HYTEC boards that I believe are repaired, and Konica service had said to go with an OEM board instead of one of those. Do you not think it will fix it, like have I screwed the pooch, so to speak?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_sane View Post
    I guess I wasn't clear, I have only changed the one prj term control board, I have just tried multiple boards. But they sent HYTEC boards that I believe are repaired, and Konica service had said to go with an OEM board instead of one of those. Do you not think it will fix it, like have I screwed the pooch, so to speak?

I still don't see the word firmware in your post. Are you ignoring tbservice and hoping we won't notice?

We've been doing this a long time, and when somebody doesn't answer a question it trips my bullshit meter. Customers lie to me all the time, so I have a pretty good idea what it sounds like.

Don't get me wrong. I don't mind when people lie to me. But you won't ever see me repeating myself. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

your problem is you did not follow the back up procedure before you changed the board. read the manual...... there is a soft sw you have to do to back it up otherwise you get the symptoms you have

No I'm not a customer, and I took this call on, and described it as I had known. It may be as you describe, but yes, I thought I HAD answered your question when I said I was a tech, who followed the service manual. But I'll figure it out, thanks anyway.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

good to know. i was not trying to be rude or suggest you were not a tech. i have techs who just dive in then call me later. guess typing does not always sound right.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Dude no one here is trying to scare you away. We may seem defensive because so may end users try and pull the wool over our eyes.

Anyway since you said you did everything by the manual like Wox said had to be done than I'm lost. I thought for sure you were going to say you didn't do the backup procedure. It sounds like you did everything right. Not sure if there a firmware reset tool for that model. But just to be clear did you do F/W update? Even if it has the latest F/W