Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Re: 8e versus 8 series drums

If you use compatible toner, the drum is known to die sooner.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    If you use compatible toner, the drum is known to die sooner.
    Man, you guys are quick to jump on compatible toner. Not saying there isn't CRAP out there!!! BUT, so far we've seen some 8 series (C308) get about 150k before cleaning blade failure forced a change. We provided compatible toners to them ever since the first OEM tube was gone. Just seems to suggest that a good drum cylinder can survive contact with PCR's for 150k, and good compatible toner too.
    Possible KM had some bad cylinders?

In the 8e series I have found that in addition to the drum, the fuser also lasts half its life.
    Somewhere there is a pile of toner which, in addition to damaging the drum, also damages the surface of the fuser roller.
    Also I only use OEM toner. So it's hard to say it's the fault of compatible toner. But if you contact KM and you try to pass the part under warranty, they only replace if you have everything OEM (it is very complicated to prove that the fault is not from the paper or something that the technician has done).

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    8e versus 8 series drums

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    Man, you guys are quick to jump on compatible toner. Not saying there isn't CRAP out there!!! BUT, so far we've seen some 8 series (C308) get about 150k before cleaning blade failure forced a change. We provided compatible toners to them ever since the first OEM tube was gone. Just seems to suggest that a good drum cylinder can survive contact with PCR's for 150k, and good compatible toner too.
    Possible KM had some bad cylinders?
    I'm yet to come across any 'good' compatible toner
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    I'm yet to come across any 'good' compatible toner
    My comment is based heavily on the fact that so many techs at factory auth dealers put not even the slightest weight on some customer's need for lower cost.
    Not faulting the auth dealer tech at all. It's not their job...

1) The auth dealer tech has no control over buying.
    2) The auth dealer tech usually just sees their oem toner vs. stuff customers buy with no knowledge of the source, like Amazon/Ebay, etc.
    3) The auth dealer tech benefits from one more troubleshooting step eliminated and less possibility of a recall.
    4) The auth dealer tech is using what they're given and doing what they are told to do.

Independents like me test on eagerly willing subjects like non-profits & charitables, where often we have donated the machine, our time and materials, and they appreciate that because otherwise they would just go without. We also are buying from trusted nationwide distributors that we have relationship with for decades and they have hundreds of dealers giving them feedback. We don't buy from the same sources as a rogue customer does. We can track batch numbers unlike end users. After 30 years we have struck a pretty good balance that is not easily attained in an ever changing sea of competition, and our reliance on OEM parts & supplies is about 20%. There are "good" compatible supplies out there. Perfect? Nope, but this forum is full of examples of OEM failures.

There's a line for every tech or dealership where the balance between cost and performance meets. One can go to the dance wearing clean borrowed slacks, consignment store shoes, the older brother's tie, drink the working man's brand instead of top shelf, still look good and have a great time!

There have always been failures, there is no perfect MFP. Indeed, one must be lucky! With OEM, you reduce the chance that the fault comes from something stupid like rotten toner.

In my experience, Konica Minolta is the company that costs slightly more but has excellent reliability. For example, if you spend $60 x original, you will only have to spend $100 for regular maintenance.

For example, if you spend $10 on a compatible toner, you run the risk of spending $300 on a new toner-damaged fuser.
    (The prices are for example only, they are not real)

I tell you this because I gave out of production multifunction printers with compatible toners. I spent a lot of money only on travel for requests for intervention caused by a bad compatible toner (transfer belt motor block, toner drain clogging, dirty pages, printer to be cleaned, striped fuser, timely worn drums etc.). Being nonprofit companies, I was unable to ask for money for interventions.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    8e versus 8 series drums

Cool Re: 8e versus 8 series drums

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    My comment is based heavily on the fact that so many techs at factory auth dealers put not even the slightest weight on some customer's need for lower cost.
    Not faulting the auth dealer tech at all. It's not their job...

1) The auth dealer tech has no control over buying.
    2) The auth dealer tech usually just sees their oem toner vs. stuff customers buy with no knowledge of the source, like Amazon/Ebay, etc.
    3) The auth dealer tech benefits from one more troubleshooting step eliminated and less possibility of a recall.
    4) The auth dealer tech is using what they're given and doing what they are told to do.

Independents like me test on eagerly willing subjects like non-profits & charitables, where often we have donated the machine, our time and materials, and they appreciate that because otherwise they would just go without. We also are buying from trusted nationwide distributors that we have relationship with for decades and they have hundreds of dealers giving them feedback. We don't buy from the same sources as a rogue customer does. We can track batch numbers unlike end users. After 30 years we have struck a pretty good balance that is not easily attained in an ever changing sea of competition, and our reliance on OEM parts & supplies is about 20%. There are "good" compatible supplies out there. Perfect? Nope, but this forum is full of examples of OEM failures.

There's a line for every tech or dealership where the balance between cost and performance meets. One can go to the dance wearing clean borrowed slacks, consignment store shoes, the older brother's tie, drink the working man's brand instead of top shelf, still look good and have a great time!
    HEAR! HEAR!

Excellent statement.
    Saying this as an Indy, trying to fight costs every day......

Hans
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "