Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts CopierNerd's Avatar

Thumbs down How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

I was thinking how to increase print speed of PDF files which contain minimum 2000 pages. Actually i am printing pages from a pdf file which contains 22000 pages in 1 single file. The size of file vary from 500mb to 1.6GB and i have used both PCL and PS drivers.I have also read some options on the internet about how to increase print speed but i would like to take advice from experts of the field.....

Many Thanks

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

Quote Originally Posted by CopierNerd View Post
    I was thinking how to increase print speed of PDF files which contain minimum 2000 pages. Actually i am printing pages from a pdf file which contains 22000 pages in 1 single file. The size of file vary from 500mb to 1.6GB and i have used both PCL and PS drivers.I have also read some options on the internet about how to increase print speed but i would like to take advice from experts of the field.....

Many Thanks
    PDF is a CONTAINER FORMAT!!! ...If they are just "scanned image files" they should process quite quickly!!! If the PDF was generated but NOT FLATTENED with all graphics on the same layer & in the same color space gamut, processing will probably error out with a memory buffer overflow. What I have done in a situation such as this is to use a PDF Printer such as Bullzip to re-generate the PDF so it is flattened properly and in the same color space. If you've used photoshop you will understand the layer aspect. Most of the problems I have seen have come from PDF documents that were designed on an Apple & someone tries to print off on a Windows machine. I have designed yearbooks for my wife's school and for print output 200dpi is a fully adequate resolution. In fact, I could barely tell the difference between 200dpi & 300dpi! If you need to get info on how the PDF was generated, open the file with Acrobat Reader & do a "CTRL+D" keyboard shortcut. It will tell you what program was used to compile & generate the PDF. How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pagesHow to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    PDF is a CONTAINER FORMAT!!! ...If they are just "scanned image files" they should process quite quickly!!! If the PDF was generated but NOT FLATTENED with all graphics on the same layer & in the same color space gamut, processing will probably error out with a memory buffer overflow. What I have done in a situation such as this is to use a PDF Printer such as Bullzip to re-generate the PDF so it is flattened properly and in the same color space. If you've used photoshop you will understand the layer aspect. Most of the problems I have seen have come from PDF documents that were designed on an Apple & someone tries to print off on a Windows machine. I have designed yearbooks for my wife's school and for print output 200dpi is a fully adequate resolution. In fact, I could barely tell the difference between 200dpi & 300dpi! If you need to get info on how the PDF was generated, open the file with Acrobat Reader & do a "CTRL+D" keyboard shortcut. It will tell you what program was used to compile & generate the PDF. How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pagesHow to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

Thanks qbert very concise info Dude!

Not sure if this is exactly what you are getting at, but with problematic and/or huge PDFs, I utilize the "print as bitmap" in the print dialogue box (most decent programs have this feature) even on large jobs, you can still get away with as high as 600dpi.
    I did not know about CTRL+D, good stuff

There are a lot of websites that reduce a PDF size, but that is problematic with sensitive documents (I have only used this method once, personally). Quick google search will give several options like this wiki page

You can also use a pdf splitter, set the default print preferences (e.g., landscape, fold, punch, et cetera) in Devices and Printers select all the individual pages right click and print (this is not very good for mix-sized documents though).

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Would this phenomenon explain why a PDF document would multiply x10 or more in size in the print queue?
    Is this BullZip anything like CutePDF? I've been using this for many years. For a long time some Kyocera and Lexmark bulletins were in html format only. If you wanted to save them in a file structure it is really handy to convert to a PDF. Is flattening happening in this process? I've noticed that when color matching is crucial, a PDF conversion does not necessarily maintain the same color as the Publisher original document. 100% K portions of color documents can become composite black in the converted file, and vice versa. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    Would this phenomenon explain why a PDF document would multiply x10 or more in size in the print queue?
    Is this BullZip anything like CutePDF? I've been using this for many years. For a long time some Kyocera and Lexmark bulletins were in html format only. If you wanted to save them in a file structure it is really handy to convert to a PDF. Is flattening happening in this process? I've noticed that when color matching is crucial, a PDF conversion does not necessarily maintain the same color as the Publisher original document. 100% K portions of color documents can become composite black in the converted file, and vice versa. =^..^=
    If the PDF is not flattened prior to sending to the printer, it will "bloat" when the mfp tries to RIP it. Best thing to do is reduce the elements of the document as much as possible. This means forcing the graphics into one layer & reducing the number of color spaces that are contained therein. I had a quite large PDF document a customer was trying to print. It would always get into the job about 50 pages then stall and hang...never recover. I was able to use a program called FileJuicer that would rip ANY containerized document open and then categorize the components into folders....jpg, tif, html, etc, etc. Long story short, the PDF contained graphics with multiple different color spaces...RGB, CMYK, etc, etc. I basically arrived at the conclusion that the dissimilar color spaces was what was causing the machine to hang. I believe it was a Ricoh/Savin that it happened on and the document (product catalogue) was compiled on an Apple computer. Some MFP's process PDF'S better than others. I have found with Ricoh/Savin you REALLY have to "dumb the process down"!!!How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages Other brands such as HP seem to do a better job at processing PDF files!!! Just my "observed" 2 cents worth!!!How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pagesHow to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

File Juicer - Extract images from PDF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Files on Mac OS X

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I found this page has some insights within:
    Printing complex PDF document using Adobe Acrobat
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Many Thanks

What are these files? how are they made? are they scans? Few ways you can speed up before printing, not of them complicated...
    Does you client have Adobe CC?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Many Thanks
    Try using Fox IT PDF reader you can save the PDF as a flattened document & it will print a lot faster.

Free PDF Reader & PDF Viewer Download | Foxit Software
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

If the PDF is not flattened prior to sending to the printer, it will "bloat" when the mfp tries to RIP it. Best thing to do is reduce the elements of the document as much as possible. This means forcing the graphics into one layer & reducing the number of color spaces that are contained therein. I had a quite large PDF document a customer was trying to print. It would always get into the job about 50 pages then stall and hang...never recover. I was able to use a program called FileJuicer that would rip ANY containerized document open and then categorize the components into folders....jpg, tif, html, etc, etc. Long story short, the PDF contained graphics with multiple different color spaces...RGB, CMYK, etc, etc. I basically arrived at the conclusion that the dissimilar color spaces was what was causing the machine to hang. I believe it was a Ricoh/Savin that it happened on and the document (product catalogue) was compiled on an Apple computer. Some MFP's process PDF'S better than others. I have found with Ricoh/Savin you REALLY have to "dumb the process down"!!!How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages Other brands such as HP seem to do a better job at processing PDF files!!! Just my "observed" 2 cents worth!!!How to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pagesHow to increase printing speed of Large PDF files, 2000+ pages

File Juicer - Extract images from PDF, PowerPoint, Word, Excel and other Files on Mac OS X

Is there an easy way to tell if a PDF document is flattened? Too bad that info doesn't show up in the properties found with Ctrl+D.

Also, is flattening the same as printing to another PDF creating program/application? For example, I have a PDF with form fields but I don't want them to be editable. I print to a PDF program ( I use PDF Creator which is free and open source) and then it makes a new PDF but without editable form fields.
    Last edited by srvctec; 10-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.