Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: C454e cyan developer

Yea, just took the drums, developers and transfer belt and had access to the ducts and vacuumed them from the front.

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

FYI - Cyan developers with black dot on the barcode labels are modified type to reduce the incidence of this problem. You should be doing all the usual stuff still, ie vacuuming out suction ports, ensureing all consumables are within life and damaged ones replaced, the cyan toner was shaken before installation, the toner filter is new, the drum is replaced with the developing unit - you can aditionally set CYAN TCR value to minus 1 or 2 as well. Also ensure suction port gaskets are not damaged on any of the 4 ports, a single one damaged and not sealing properly will cause no suction at all 4 - cyan will be destroyed continuously in any case on these ones.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    C454e cyan developer

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Use new black developer units for colors. Just swap chips. Run 60 11x17 halftones of the color dev unit you are replacing, around 40 pages you will see the black changing to the color. After around 60 pages black will have changed to the color!

Also I've brought back many dev units that have crashed by adding developer from another bad unit until I get the proper TCR reading. Of course did this after replacing any overlife consumables that caused the dev crash in first place.

There is NO way I'm paying Kon/Min $500+ for a color dev unit !!! I'll buy an off lease working C224 for around $500 and get 4 dev units plus other parts before paying kon/min that kind of money !!!!
    Hi copyman...

If you were to put the cyan developer unit from a known working c224 into the c554e, would you need to reset the dev counter to run stabilization?

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonbonse View Post
    Hi copyman...

If you were to put the cyan developer unit from a known working c224 into the c554e, would you need to reset the dev counter to run stabilization?
    Dev counter could be reset only by replacing a chip, and I won't suggest doing that for an old dev unit. That is only counter, and you will have false life reading anyway resetting it or not.
    Don't worry, TCR sensor will measure toner density in dev unit and will be adding toner accordingly in the future.

Run stabilization and check table number and level history 1&2 values.

Doing gradation won't hurt also.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Got to share this one.....

Few days ago I completely recovered a cyan dev unit with no visible developer on magnet roller. On my surprise magnet roller was covered with a very thin layer of toner but it was so pale that I thought that unit could't be recovered.
    Surprisingly no P codes before and during repair was recorded.

And I saved it.....
    I replaced ozone filter and vacum all excessive cyan toner on sides of dev unit and suction ports. Clean dusted charge unit from cyan drum unit (90k).
    Run stabilization and get 15% Tcr C and Vdc 130V giving the code C2552.
    Of course toner level was not so high; developer was under level.
    Then I run halftones 64 full A3 letting the new toner with developer in dev unit to increase developer level.
    First output was pale with random cyan dots and smears. Gradually TCR ratio was lowering and VdcC was rising. Running stabilization after every 6-10 pages.At TCR 12% I started running halftones 128 (output was much better) an finaly under 10% change to halftones 255.
    Final result was TCR 6% and VdcC 280V (jut like a new one).
    Pulled out dev unit and magnet roller was completely covered with developer. It took about 60 A3 in total.
    This was the worst one.
    Still, it is not clear to me how so little developer from the toner bottle could repair such damage.
    Maybe I was lucky but I will try the same next time to see if it was luck or a way of recovery.