Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

KM drivers and Win10

1st off, I am not new to this, I've been networking KM machines since the C451 days, Toshiba before that. I was installing various 3rd party software for advanced scanning and cost recovery solutions for the previous 3 years, hold A+/Net+. Not saying I can't learn new tricks, but I have a "working knowledge".

Had a customer setting up printing on a 558e. Added the printer on his server (local, TCP-IP, manual settings, 2016 Datacenter) but even though it finished w/o error the 558e would not show up, nor could we (verified logged in as admin) delete/remove the old printers. Any attempt at getting a config from the existing printers generated a exception fault. Played around with this then tried going into "print management" (customer was and been adding through control panel). Print Mgmt showed the new C458 printer and allowed the proper config query and get a test print. Said "I guess the new drivers want to be installed via print mgmt", but even through PM we were unable to remove the older C658 drivers. Customer says "no prob, were working, I'll handle the rest"

fast forward 2 days I get a tech question about secure print on a C360i..We have one so I download the latest Win10 driver to try and find the answer..Added the printer, selected the correct family, installer plods through and finished w/o error………..NO FREAKING C360i printer in my printers folder...I do a google search and find a MS KB about specific services not running. Start these and restart and printer shows up, but I cannot delete any older print queues now.. Anyone seeing this and have an answer? E

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts
    KM drivers and Win10

Re: KM drivers and Win10

I've had a couple of these lately with Kyocera drivers and Win 10. Installer works fine and finishes but the printer doesn't show in the printers folder. It shows from the print dialogue in applications and works. Just no entry in the printers folder.

I had planned on checking back after a couple of days. These particular customers would never look at the printer folder anyway.

Technician

if it happened to me
    all for the win10 updates
    give me errors when desistalar a printer and after two days the same team have no problem

You can't delete old printer if it still has a print job still in the queue

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I believe this behavior is due shit*y M$ updates. There are several threads in CTN about similar problems, new installed printers goes in Unspecified devices, unusually long time to install print driver or printer isn't appear at all before Windows restart, etc.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Sometimes I find myself more comfortable with the automatic KM installer. Sometimes it is impossible for me to remove old printers because the computer has some particular block or Window is buggy

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    KM drivers and Win10

In a recent late Sept 2019 automatic update, Microsoft pushed out software that appears to corrupt the print spooler.

forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2019/10/03/microsoft-windows-10-warning-printer-updates-upgrade-windows-10/#42fdbdd14353

Just starting the last few days, I have been experiencing wonky Win 10 print driver installs on multiple unrelated PCs with Toshiba, Lexmark and HP print devices.

I know that I correctly installed the print driver but it does not immediately show up in Control Panel/ Devices & Printers.

If you open a software application like Microsoft Word and select a printer, the new driver you just installed will show up there.

Sometimes the new driver will show up on its own in Control Panel/ Devices & Printers a few hours or next day later.