Bizhub 454e not staying powered on?

Heyya,

So I recently got myself a bizhub 454e, but later realized I did not have a 20 amp outlet in my office space. I decided to see if i could simply fit a 20 amp outlet in place of a 15 amp outlet without doing the wiring or fuse box for it and initially it worked fine. But about 2 days later there was a POP and now the machine won't power up fully.

When initially plugged in to the 20 amp outlet (which still has 15 amp cables that run to the mains technically), the screen will flash on for a split second and then the machine is dead again. Appears as if it has no power. It was plugged into a "Panamax M2A20 20A Surge Protector" at the time as well, but appears the issue is from within the machine as the smell of something burnt is within the machine. Surge protector and 20 amp outlet appear to be working fine, multimeter shows power flowing into it without an issue.

I have also opened the back of my bizhub 454e and took both the sub power board and main power board out to see if it was anything obvious, but I cannot see anything burnt or fried.

If anyone has any helpful input or a nudge in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Aaron

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 454e not staying powered on?

Quote Originally Posted by avj95 View Post
    Heyya,

So I recently got myself a bizhub 454e, but later realized I did not have a 20 amp outlet in my office space. I decided to see if i could simply fit a 20 amp outlet in place of a 15 amp outlet without doing the wiring or fuse box for it and initially it worked fine. But about 2 days later there was a POP and now the machine won't power up fully.

When initially plugged in to the 20 amp outlet (which still has 15 amp cables that run to the mains technically), the screen will flash on for a split second and then the machine is dead again. Appears as if it has no power. It was plugged into a "Panamax M2A20 20A Surge Protector" at the time as well, but appears the issue is from within the machine as the smell of something burnt is within the machine. Surge protector and 20 amp outlet appear to be working fine, multimeter shows power flowing into it without an issue.

I have also opened the back of my bizhub 454e and took both the sub power board and main power board out to see if it was anything obvious, but I cannot see anything burnt or fried.

If anyone has any helpful input or a nudge in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Aaron
    what in heavens name gave you the thought just to wire in a 20amp socket but not supply proper voltage...

stop half assing the job do it right! I bet you have fucked up the copier now also! PANAMAX isn't a surge suppressor it is nothing more than and extension cord... STOP peeing on the sidewalk DO IT RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    what in heavens name gave you the thought just to wire in a 20amp socket but not supply proper voltage...

stop half assing the job do it right! I bet you have fucked up the copier now also! PANAMAX isn't a surge suppressor it is nothing more than and extension cord... STOP peeing on the sidewalk DO IT RIGHT!
    Thank you Phil for your helpful input! very insightful!

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Ok, I'll come clean. In a few desperate times I've twisted the prongs around on a 20 amp plug to fit into a 15 amp outlet. The outlets are both 120V so not really a problem, especially that the 454e only pulls 17A when running. Prob luck but worked fine until outlet could be changed up to months later. Also have done what you did and put a 20 amp in 15 amp with no problems (in my shop right now been using for 10+ years)
    So point being something else happened like not being wired properly, or bad ground, etc. Or might of just overloaded that circuit or got a real power surge. Probably blew out the power supply or MFP board.

If you are going to "cheat" using 20A in 15A then at least make sure nothing else is on circuit.

FYI, the 454e only pulls around 17A when working

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

i think you need to replace the nvram. that machine works on 16 amps.

I had a C364e do the same thing last month. Replaced the DC power supply and it works great. Customer said it made a loud pop and died. Turned out to be the CCD portion of the DCPS that went out.