C458 with a FS536 Code C1102 and Jam J 72-2

I have a C458 with a FS536. There are 711K on the machine. I am getting J72-21 jams and often followed by a C1102. I can run this in copy mode all day long but it seems that when the users badge in and print a 20 page job, that's when the machine jams and or codes out. This company is using EquiTrak. Also, the paper will sometimes exit onto the RU unit. BTW I have 2 C458's sitting next to each other doing the exact same thing. Customer uses EquiTrack. Here are the following procedures I have done:

1. Updated FW to W5
    2. Replaced the FS PWB (Repaired)
    3. Replaced the Switchback Unit
    4. Replaced the exit sensor on the machine
    5. Cleaned all sensors on the FS
    6. Replaced the exit tray motor M11 and sensor
    7. Swapped the FS unit and the problem goes away

Thanks!
    Signed,
    Up Creek Without Paddle

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: C458 with a FS536 Code C1102 and Jam J 72-2

check the clock disk for the exit belt paddle motor.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

There have been instances where the finisher Ejector unit bracket fails to return to home position. Check for binding drive, gear damage, belt tension.
    If there is an "internal" Ejector Unit issue that cannot easily be repaired, install a new one A87GPP1702 Ejector Unit.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts Choclit007's Avatar

I just had this exact issue (C458 & FS-536) with either C1102 or J7221 showing up.
    1 or more of these symptoms were seen after coding:
    - 2 pages on top of the RU
    - 1 page would be halfway thru the fuser & crumpled
    - 1 or more pages crumpled at the RU entrance

To replicate the problem after power cycling I had to first copy 2 originals in Group mode.
    I then tested using the paper passage test.

I torn down the ejector & then reassembled it & the problem has disappeared.
    If the problem returns I will be replacing the ejector unit.

[Disassembly method & mistakes made]
    Remove front door & upper cover then back cover
    Remove the Stapler assy: 2 front screws, 2 at back & rear 2 connectors

Remove 2 covers under the main tray; bottom covers part of the top so has to come off first
    !!! Do not unplug the top covers' black connector one by pulling on the cover - the sideways motion will cause the lower half to break!!!

The ejector unit & motors attached to a metal frame ( the 'ejector frame' ) are now visible.

Remove the 2 motors from the ejector frame, 2 screws each underneath ( note that the motor assemblies hook on to the ejector unit)
    !!! on Reassembly do not pinch any wires with the screws (C1105 = front motor)!!!

Remove 4 large screws holding the ejector to the frame
    Remove the ejector frame by removing 2screws from both front & back

On either side of the ejector unit are the alignment plate assemblies
    In order to release the ejector unit remove the mounting screws from them; 1 per side
    !!! the belts will release from their drive motors - reattach on reassembly!!!

You should now be able to force the ejector frame up a bit then slide it out of the way

The ejector unit is held to the alignment trays at 2 points, a large metal piece & a small plastic tab

Try to twist the ejector unit creating a bit of space between it & the rear alignment tray.
    As soon as you can do that pull the ejector downwards & away, it should easily separate from the other alignment tray.
    Getting it back in between the alignment trays is the real challenge

Reverse these steps for reassembly

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guycampo View Post

I have a C458 with a FS536. There are 711K on the machine. I am getting J72-21 jams and often followed by a C1102. I can run this in copy mode all day long but it seems that when the users badge in and print a 20 page job, that's when the machine jams and or codes out. This company is using EquiTrak. Also, the paper will sometimes exit onto the RU unit. BTW I have 2 C458's sitting next to each other doing the exact same thing. Customer uses EquiTrack. Here are the following procedures I have done:

1. Updated FW to W5
    2. Replaced the FS PWB (Repaired)
    3. Replaced the Switchback Unit
    4. Replaced the exit sensor on the machine
    5. Cleaned all sensors on the FS
    6. Replaced the exit tray motor M11 and sensor
    7. Swapped the FS unit and the problem goes away

Thanks!
    Signed,
    Up Creek Without Paddle
    I see you are in Phila. I'm in South Jersey. Why not just take a ride across bridge to NJ and buy a low meter FS-536 from ARS warehouse for $25. I was just there today and they have plenty available. They are low priced because finishers are removed from off-lease machines that are put on containers to export.
    I don't even waste my time on finishers anymore, just swap them out. Take staples and trays off bad fin and send to scrap yard.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    I see you are in Phila. I'm in South Jersey. Why not just take a ride across bridge to NJ and buy a low meter FS-536 from ARS warehouse for $25. I was just there today and they have plenty available. They are low priced because finishers are removed from off-lease machines that are put on containers to export.
    I don't even waste my time on finishers anymore, just swap them out. Take staples and trays off bad fin and send to scrap yard.
    4 years ago and he never replied to his own question...
    No need to bother at all I would say.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    4 years ago and he never replied to his own question...
    No need to bother at all I would say.
    Haha. I hate when I miss the OP date! I always "assume" it's a new post since someone replied to it. But you know the old saying about "assume"..... When you "assume" you make an "Ass" out of "U" and "Me"

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Was going to say basically the same thing myself. If there is a problem with the ejector on an older FS-536 finisher these days, the whole finisher gets replaced. Way too much wasted time and effort trying to remove, repair and/or lube, and reinstall the assembly to even bother with it. Not a financially sound idea when we have tons of them coming back from trade-in machines these days.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...