Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Bizhub 222 not adding toner

Are you using original toner? Is the machine making a funny noise?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Bizhub 222 not adding toner

Are you getting any C2403 errors? =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

I was not receiving any error code but I did find the problem. After replacing the pads on the solenoids with electrical tape, trouble resetting, and performing F8 the error code of C2557 was gone. I looked at the scanning value of the ATDC sensor and it was 5.5% but the minimum is 7%, so once I replaced the ATDC sensor with another the new scanning value was 8% and no longer asked to add toner, once I placed the original back into the developing unit the machine gave me a C2557 error code and scanning value remained below 7%. Once the official part comes in I will update you all and let you know if the solenoids activate. Thank you all for attempting to help

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

here is the thing about running F8. you have to reset drum and dev counts turn machine off leave side door open then turn main sw back on ., go into service make sure the counts reset to 0. NEW DRUM and DEV are highly recommended. If you run F8 without resseting counters it will give a 2557 in a day or two. the atdc sets up around 145 to 165. the higher the number the higher the toner % will be. running f8 and not ressetting drum will give you a 2557.

Customer called back and said the machine was not adding toner, I looked inside the toner hopper assembly and saw a mountain of toner and the sub hopper solenoid is not activating now. I swapped the connectors for the sub and main hopper in the back of the machine and the black connector that goes to the sub hopper solenoid will make both solenoids work if plugged into each connector housing individually BUT the white connector for the main hopper solenoid will not work. It is receiving 24v but still will not work. I have changed the connector, board, and toner hopper assembly and nothing works. The white connector for the main hopper solenoid absolutely will not activate the solenoid but the black one for the sub hopper will activate them. Any ideas at all? I'm stumped.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

I think you might be chasing your own tail at this point. It seems like the machine isn't adding toner because it doesn't want to. The ATDC values / life counters / developer mix are all out of whack. If I were in your position, I would bite the bullet and install new dev/drum and follow the advice of Wox. Depending on your level of frustration/budget, might be good to throw a new developer housing in there at the same time.

@907tec I just cleaned the sub hopper out and cleared the counters. I have not ran an F8 just yet but am about to. I checked the level history and the ATDC sensor is at 6.5% with the ATDC set at 106. I felt the same way when you said maybe the machine didn't WANT to add toner but doubted that this old of a machine would do that. I could be wrong though

cleared counters, cleaned sub hopper, and ran F8. Started a large print job (400) pages and when the copier came up with the message "The machine will begin printing after adding toner" after running about 250-270 copies, the toner main hopper solenoid never activated and the toner bottle never began to spin. Also I checked level history after running F8 and the ATDC is set for 96 now (was previously 106)

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Woxner's Avatar

106 is way too low. the lower the number the less toner is added. it needes to set up at 145 to 170. never seen one that low. you should not run f8 gemerally unless new dev is used. take all of our sugestions and start with new dev and drum. if you reset old drum as new you might get streaks. seen too many guys try and get around this and have failed. the bottle will not turn until the sub hopper asks for it too. at 106 it may not add toner till its at 3% or so

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub 222 not adding toner

I can't add much more than has been posted. I just had this same thing on my last Biz 222. Had C2557 code so brought a rebuilt complete Image unit with me. Surprised to see there were only 18k on the current drum / dev. Went ahead and replaced the IU, ran F8 and so far so good. What had me worried a little was I ran around 75 pages and couldn't get btl to turn but % was still at 145. Customer had to make important copies so I didn't want to run all the toner out trying to get btl to turn. So I left. It's been about a month so assuming all good. I even waited around 2 weeks to bill them because I was so sure they would be calling any day with 2557 code.

Also told them if code came back that it wouldn't make sense to waste more $$$ on that obsolete model. Figured I would upgrade them to a Biz 224e and have them as a customer until I retire