Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Copiers with rediculously high page counts or rediculously old.

Just curious if anybody else has to deal with working for a company that just won't let copiers die? The company I work for just can't seem to let their "cash cows" go, and replace them with updated machines. We've got a model span out there that is about as ridiculous as it comes. The oldest machine out in the field (with a service contract) that I know of is a Konica 2125. Yes, you read that correctly! We also have a number of the newest "i" models out there.

There are also a number of machines that, at least in my opinion, have gone way beyond their expected life. Matter of fact, I worked on what I believe to be our highest page count machine this morning, a Bizhub C652. Its Total page count is just under 4-million pages (3,843,080 as of this morning). Anybody else have units out there like this? I've attached a scan of the count page to the post in case anyone doesn't believe it.

BH_C652_Counts.jpg
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Re: Copiers with rediculously high page counts or rediculously old.

I have been installing a couple 454e with 400k hope they go at least a million like the taskalfa they replaced

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjlc View Post
    I have been installing a couple 454e with 400k hope they go at least a million like the taskalfa they replaced

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    TaskAlfa Amorphous Silicon drums may be rated for 600k, but their rubber charge rollers are TOTAL CRAP!!!....and last only 100k to 120k before getting oxidized by ozone, getting pop marks and cracking in them!!!...so that's about $400 to $500 extra...PER DRUM!!!Copiers with rediculously high page counts or rediculously old.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    TaskAlfa Amorphous Silicon drums may be rated for 600k, but their rubber charge rollers are TOTAL CRAP!!!....and last only 100k to 120k before getting oxidized by ozone, getting pop marks and cracking in them!!!...so that's about $400 to $500 extra...PER DRUM!!!Copiers with rediculously high page counts or rediculously old.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    Compare to the old TA8030 with 80 page/min with Selenium drums that lasted 5 million if maintained properly. Shame about the expensive cassette feeder rollers, only lasted 200k (as oppose to 500k)if you were lucky and fusers drive falling apart.
    Nothing high tech but good workhorses.

Sent from portable device using fast cheapset!
    .OK Google! ... will I need Berrocca this morning?
    Firmwares HERE

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    Just curious if anybody else has to deal with working for a company that just won't let copiers die? The company I work for just can't seem to let their "cash cows" go, and replace them with updated machines. We've got a model span out there that is about as ridiculous as it comes. The oldest machine out in the field (with a service contract) that I know of is a Konica 2125. Yes, you read that correctly! We also have a number of the newest "i" models out there.

There are also a number of machines that, at least in my opinion, have gone way beyond their expected life. Matter of fact, I worked on what I believe to be our highest page count machine this morning, a Bizhub C652. Its Total page count is just under 4-million pages (3,843,080 as of this morning). Anybody else have units out there like this? I've attached a scan of the count page to the post in case anyone doesn't believe it.

BH_C652_Counts.jpg
    The C652 series was/still is a good workhorse I have one out that has done 8 million, no major problems in 1 maybe 2 drive units thats about it other then the usual image units, fusers & transfer but we keep all these parts on site so no downtime.

A similar millage on say a 4 series would be a different story.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

I still have a few old workhorse models that my customers refuse to upgrade. Told them years ago the machine it is no longer supported by Kon/Min but they said run it until it dies, well guess what these old models are never going to die. Have a feeling we will be dead before the machines

Even if I do upgrade these customers most say they want to keep the old machine as a backup. Fine with me because those old models are friggen heavy to move!

In the meantime I'm still making good money servicing the old machines so leave well enough alone, (di 251, biz 652,biz 250,etc) Make a lot more money than newer models because most parts are used and no longer available.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    The C652 series was/still is a good workhorse I have one out that has done 8 million, no major problems in 1 maybe 2 drive units thats about it other then the usual image units, fusers & transfer but we keep all these parts on site so no downtime.

A similar millage on say a 4 series would be a different story.
    That's pretty incredible in my eyes. The 4-mill machine works well enough, but has started to become a bit of burden on us techs. The plastic parts along the paper path are becoming extremely worn down to the point where the "fins" no longer exist in places, or there are grooves being carved into the ends of the parts from the edge of the paper. It wouldn't be such an issue if they would get replacement parts for it, but they will not. They also have lots of replacement consumable parts in stock so there is no down time as far as that goes. The big issue is just the non-consumable parts that are severely worn out.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...