Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Konica Minolta C754 - Fiery issue (IC-414)

Hi guys,

We currently have a customer trying to print A3 booklets center staple and fold through a IC-414 Fiery (command workstation). Is anyone aware of the settings that are required for this to actually work ( if you see the attached pictures)Booklet 1.jpgBooklet 2.jpg

The top booklet is how the A3 booklet is meant to be coming out and the below A3 booklet is how the prints are coming out. The top booklet is how the prints were coming out before we swapped the Fiery, unfortunately the customers IT guy doesn't remember the previous IP address and the config sheet for the fiery has gone 'missing' so we have had to set it up as new.

The settings that are set are the following:

Staple: Center
    Fold: Half Fold
    Document size: A3
    Duplex: Right & Left Binding

The machine is on the lastest firmware and the fiery has been updated to system software v1.2.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Konica Minolta C754 - Fiery issue (IC-414)

You're trying to reprint a job in CWS..Why not just send a fresh job from the direct driver, then if that looks correct, send it to the HOLD queue. Also, if you send the job to the Emperon can you get the output you want? E

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

As a printer - not tech - myself who has a machine with the Fiery in question, and we print everything through the Fiery's on our MFP and all our presses, from what I can make out from the posted images...

To me there are three parts to this, the CWS settings, the printing of the crop marks and file info., the lack of image on duplexing???

Regards CWS:
    Your setting choices for CWS seem correct - assuming the duplex direction is correct for the print file, on ours it would be Top Binding.

Regards the printing of the crop marks etc.
    I would ask was the identical print file/settings used in both cases, because the pics show that the bleed lines and file info. are being printed and these are more to do with how the file has been set up for printing before being sent to the print queue.
    It may help to see a page of the original file as it appears on the computer screen and the print screen options they have chosen before sending it to CWS, and a shot of CWS.
    If they are using Adobe DC Pro, they have either forgotten to set the trim size, so that when the file is imposed to A3 spreads the bleed marks/file info are out of the page print area.
    Or if the PDF is already in spreads then check that the original file isn't SRA3 (to include bleed etc) and the file is being sent as A3 with scaling to fit either in the print settings or the MFP is auto scaling SRA3 to A3.
    What I've said here may be irrelevant if the they trim the brochure after printing, and I've assumed they are printing from PDF

Check the EFI driver is up to date and the finishing options are set as installed, obvious but worth mentioning.

Regards not duplexing:
    I'll leave that to someone else to comment, other than the obvious to check the duplex option has actually been selected.

We often send a file from one fiery to another to run the same job on more than one press - so in effect change from one fiery to another as you've done, and not had the files print differently which is why from my perspective I would start at the artwork on the PC/Mac side before the fiery side.

Just a few musings while I wait for a job to come off press...and apologies if I've missed the problem

If you solve it let us know.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

shouldnt the first page be "cover with image" or something like that? so the blue wraps around the spine as shown?
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raplma View Post
    As a printer - not tech - myself who has a machine with the Fiery in question, and we print everything through the Fiery's on our MFP and all our presses, from what I can make out from the posted images...

To me there are three parts to this, the CWS settings, the printing of the crop marks and file info., the lack of image on duplexing???

Regards CWS:
    Your setting choices for CWS seem correct - assuming the duplex direction is correct for the print file, on ours it would be Top Binding.

Regards the printing of the crop marks etc.
    I would ask was the identical print file/settings used in both cases, because the pics show that the bleed lines and file info. are being printed and these are more to do with how the file has been set up for printing before being sent to the print queue.
    It may help to see a page of the original file as it appears on the computer screen and the print screen options they have chosen before sending it to CWS, and a shot of CWS.
    If they are using Adobe DC Pro, they have either forgotten to set the trim size, so that when the file is imposed to A3 spreads the bleed marks/file info are out of the page print area.
    Or if the PDF is already in spreads then check that the original file isn't SRA3 (to include bleed etc) and the file is being sent as A3 with scaling to fit either in the print settings or the MFP is auto scaling SRA3 to A3.
    What I've said here may be irrelevant if the they trim the brochure after printing, and I've assumed they are printing from PDF

Check the EFI driver is up to date and the finishing options are set as installed, obvious but worth mentioning.

Regards not duplexing:
    I'll leave that to someone else to comment, other than the obvious to check the duplex option has actually been selected.

We often send a file from one fiery to another to run the same job on more than one press - so in effect change from one fiery to another as you've done, and not had the files print differently which is why from my perspective I would start at the artwork on the PC/Mac side before the fiery side.

Just a few musings while I wait for a job to come off press...and apologies if I've missed the problem

If you solve it let us know.

Operators that actually have a clue are wonderful assets..When a tech is trying to resolve a CQ issue and the operator can actually inspect the document for flaws, it may save thousands of dollars trying to shotgun a repair..So IMHO your comments are great and certainly appropriate. E

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Hi Guys,

I have managed to narrow it down to the Impose setting on the fiery driver through command workstation.

I got this to work by trying the impose software demo

the required settings for this to work is -

Document Size: A3
    Imposition: 2-up saddle
    Right and Left Binding
    Booklet - saddle - left
    Staple: Center
    Fold: Half-fold

You can select all the required settings above apart from the document size which only defaults to A4 and the box is greyed out so I can not change this, does anyone have any idea how I change this without me needing to buy the actual imposition software for the fiery.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Have a look under the layout tab in CWS, you can create a booklet through this.
    Although never used it myself, we always impose on the origination software, or a plug-in to Adobe DC Pro, or the impose software on the Fiery.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Had a quick play... I sent a 32 individual page A4 document to the fiery process and hold queue.
    The pic below (CSW 6.4) shows the settings on the layout tab
    Not shown are the folding and staple options which are as you mentioned.
    This combination produced the file as a booklet.

Just had a flash back to your original pics...note the cover settings below, both front and back cover need to be set as Print on both sides, this will ensure you get the duplexing on the front cover, which your second pic shows as being blank.

ScreenHunter_159 Jan. 14 15.39.jpg
    Last edited by raplma; 01-14-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but fiery impose is for repeating a single image several times on the same page.
    Impose has nothing to do with proper booklet output.
    At least in my experience. And if impose is used without the dongle a "copy" watermark repeats all over the page.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

need to impose for a booklet, not sure if the driver on the embedded fiery's will do it right. Book order is different then page order.

we impose in acrobat with software then drop in to CW.