Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KM 601

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM 601

Re: KM 601

Quote Originally Posted by Downunder View Post
    2. Change DIP switch 27, bit 0 to 1.
    3. Change DIP switch 27, bit 1 to 0.
    4. Change DIP switch 27, bits 5 and 6 to 1.
    5. Change DIP switch 27, bit 7 to 0 to ensure the recycle clutch turns all of the time.
    6. Interlock the front door and verify the recycle unit turns and cannot be easily stopped by hand. If
    stopped easily, replace the clutch (p/n 56AA 8202 2) and one-way gear on the rear frame (p/n 56AA R706
    00).
    These switches can cause more issues if not ensured they fix the issue before leaving the location. (Beware, selmila)

You can bypass the recycle clutch. And yes, the recycle area tends to get clogged.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    These switches can cause more issues if not ensured they fix the issue before leaving the location. (Beware, selmila)

You can bypass the recycle clutch. And yes, the recycle area tends to get clogged.
    Yes these switches must be set for for different environments base on the type of use.
    Takes more than a thousand print to see the result of your tweaking.
    But found that the defaults work ok. Had one a week ago that had modified switches and was not adding enough toner, had to change it back for it to function right.
    Low volume and low use will result in bad developer life about 50-100K prints. High volume use you can get 250K plus prints.

Just unplug the clutch it needs to be energized to be released. But that also cause issues, on high volumes the clutch system works.
    Only on low volumes the toner builds up in the cleaning unit.

There is an issue on the developer tank where there is to much resistance between the dev bias contact and the mag roller thru the bearings.
    Easily confirmed with a tester the resistance should be less than 50ohm.
    I use a piece of spring wire to run again the mag roller shaft that gets fixed behind a screw on the plate receiving the bias.
    That will get the resistance down close to zero, and should stop toner flying off of the roller. But if done with too much tension it will cut the shaft.
    Those switches change the speed the mag roller runs at to control density (only Konica could come up with a shitty idea like that).

If you do single shot copies on this machine its not going to be fun. They like to do 150K print or more a month to be happy.
    Whatever

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Yes these switches must be set for for different environments base on the type of use.
    Takes more than a thousand print to see the result of your tweaking.
    But found that the defaults work ok. Had one a week ago that had modified switches and was not adding enough toner, had to change it back for it to function right.
    Low volume and low use will result in bad developer life about 50-100K prints. High volume use you can get 250K plus prints.

Just unplug the clutch it needs to be energized to be released. But that also cause issues, on high volumes the clutch system works.
    Only on low volumes the toner builds up in the cleaning unit.

There is an issue on the developer tank where there is to much resistance between the dev bias contact and the mag roller thru the bearings.
    I use a piece of spring wire to run again the mag roller shaft that gets fixed behind a screw on the plate receiving the bias.
    That will get the resistance down close to zero, and should stop toner flying off of the roller. But if done with too much tension it will cut the shaft.
    Those switches change the speed the mag roller runs at to control density (only Konica could come up with a shitty idea like that).

If you do single shot copies on this machine its not going to be fun. They like to do 150K print or more a month to be happy.
    You're spot on with everything. I went so far as to use a bushing (junked from somewhere) with a ground wire soldered to it, installed on the end of the mag roller to keep it grounded. I never could get a spring type grounding solution to last long because it would wear through the spring in no time it seemed. On the other hand, all the machines I put the ground wire bushings on, never had ground issues again. We still have some in the field that I modified years ago. Used the same trick on a 950 as well.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    You're spot on with everything. I went so far as to use a bushing (junked from somewhere) with a ground wire soldered to it, installed on the end of the mag roller to keep it grounded. I never could get a spring type grounding solution to last long because it would wear through the spring in no time it seemed. On the other hand, all the machines I put the ground wire bushings on, never had ground issues again. We still have some in the field that I modified years ago. Used the same trick on a 950 as well.
    You use one of those brass bushings?
    Will give that a try thanks.

These days wondering if i should service them at all.
    Will now just get a couple of good ones for the print shop i want to get running.
    Know i can get joy from them just not on customers premises any more.
    Whatever

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

You use one of those brass bushings?
    Will give that a try thanks.

These days wondering if i should service them at all.
    Will now just get a couple of good ones for the print shop i want to get running.
    Know i can get joy from them just not on customers premises any more.
    Yep, that's exactly what I did. I just rummaged through our stash of old bushings and made a few with ground wires I cut off junk machines near the power cord, using the ring/loop end to attach to the developer ground point (don't even remember exactly where, it's been so many years). It seems like there is a screw underneath that I removed and then put back through the ring end. The bushings I used were brass but of the Oilite variety. I used a small torch to burn out the oil from the bushing before soldering it.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    KM 601

I used a paperclip twisted around the shaft to...I have lost the photo, but if I have more energy tomorrow I will dig through my posts and add to this.
    I do not recall that explanation in the docs--good stuffs!
    [/QUOTE]
    When they run, they run. I was very disappointed--in a sense--when everyone seems to have gotten rid of them. Nowadays, Konica seems think it is wise to repurpose color MFPs for mono (aka without the color IUs--basically). I have a handful of clients (I am working in a different field now) that opted for the color versions just for the functionality. Just more unnecessary complications...and arguably weaker engines--in a sense...