Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

458E not cancel staple command not working

I have a 458E with a FS-533 finisher. The staple limit on that model is 50 sheets. When my customer puts a stack of originals in that have more than 50 sheets the machine will display a screen that has a "CANCEL STAPLE" button when the ADF feeds the 50th sheet. I'm assuming it should cancel the staple command and then just copy the stack without being stapled. That's what the customer wants as well. But the machine spits out exactly 50 and then staples them leaving the rest of the job undone. And, even when I just cancel the job, it does the same thing. I have updated firmware and dug through all the bulletins to no avail. I even called tech support but, so far, no help. They didn't have this model with this finisher configuration to test this problem.
    Has anyone seen this or have an idea? Or, does anyone have one of these machines in this configuration so they could test and see if maybe this is software issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.
    Also, does anyone know a setting I could change that would at least hold off printing until the scanning is done. Right now it starts printing after only a few sheets are scanned. That would at least be a temporary fix until I found a better solution.
    I know I could ask the customer to count their originals before putting them in but I'm not sure that will go over too well.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: 458E not cancel staple command not working

Quote Originally Posted by cgw71 View Post
    I have a 458E with a FS-533 finisher. The staple limit on that model is 50 sheets. When my customer puts a stack of originals in that have more than 50 sheets the machine will display a screen that has a "CANCEL STAPLE" button when the ADF feeds the 50th sheet. I'm assuming it should cancel the staple command and then just copy the stack without being stapled. That's what the customer wants as well. But the machine spits out exactly 50 and then staples them leaving the rest of the job undone. And, even when I just cancel the job, it does the same thing. I have updated firmware and dug through all the bulletins to no avail. I even called tech support but, so far, no help. They didn't have this model with this finisher configuration to test this problem.
    Has anyone seen this or have an idea? Or, does anyone have one of these machines in this configuration so they could test and see if maybe this is software issue that needs to be addressed by the manufacturer.
    Also, does anyone know a setting I could change that would at least hold off printing until the scanning is done. Right now it starts printing after only a few sheets are scanned. That would at least be a temporary fix until I found a better solution.
    I know I could ask the customer to count their originals before putting them in but I'm not sure that will go over too well.

if the set is looking for a staple in the stack then yes.. it will error out.

why not just configure the files for NO STAPLE?

try setting the file to " print after last page spooled"?

maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but to me it sounds like the customer doesn't know how to properly configure the print job?

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

So after ADF counts 50th page fed machine stops and this "CANCEL STAPLE" message pop ups? What they choose then? Maybe instead of confirming of "CANCEL STAPLE" they should choose to NOT "CANCEL STAPLE"
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    if the set is looking for a staple in the stack then yes.. it will error out.

why not just configure the files for NO STAPLE?

try setting the file to " print after last page spooled"?

maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but to me it sounds like the customer doesn't know how to properly configure the print job?
    It isn't a print job. It's a copy job. And they want it to staple. They aren't counting how many originals they have when they put them in the ADF. If it happens to be more than 50 (and they want it staple) then the problem happens. And I know of no setting with COPY jobs that waits till all pages have been scanned.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    So after ADF counts 50th page fed machine stops and this "CANCEL STAPLE" message pop ups? What they choose then? Maybe instead of confirming of "CANCEL STAPLE" they should choose to NOT "CANCEL STAPLE"
    You're only choice is "Cancel Staple" or to cancel the job. The problem is that either way you do it then it just proceeds to spit out 50 pages and then staple them. That's not so good when the original stack was 58 sheets. That leaves 8 sheets not scanned or copied. So the customer is left with an incomplete set that is stapled.
    I know I can tell them to just count the originals before they start the job so they know not to hit the staple option if their set is over 50 sheets but they may not be to keen on having to do that......or just not selecting staple when they have a large stack. Still though.....why have the "cancel staple" button if it's not going to work?

Technician

Ok, I managed to get my hands on a C308 with an FS-533 finisher on it. I tried to copy a 57 page set and, after 50 pages, it stopped scanning and offered me the "Cancel staple" screen. I selected that and it still would not scan the last 7 pages and proceeded to spit out the 50 copies of the of 50 pages it had scanned and stapled them. If I simply don't touch anything it does the exact same thing. I let Konica know. I am thinking its a software flaw. If anyone sees something I totally overlooked then I'm all ears.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

On two different models with presumably different FW levels...sounds like something they need to fix with next FW updates. Sorry, not too much help though.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Quote Originally Posted by cgw71 View Post
    It isn't a print job. It's a copy job. And they want it to staple. They aren't counting how many originals they have when they put them in the ADF. If it happens to be more than 50 (and they want it staple) then the problem happens. And I know of no setting with COPY jobs that waits till all pages have been scanned.
    they are EXCEEDING the max amount of pages to staple..

doubt you can make it staple anything that thick. ONLY Large Production machines will handle that!

your salesman fucked you and your customer..

Sales will always blame it on the tech.

Get the spec sheets and show the customer "It's NOT possible"!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

My 360i will scan the 1st 50 sheets, then in the display "can't staple more than 50" I get a icon to cancel stapling and it brings the job log up to highlight and delete the current job.

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    My 360i will scan the 1st 50 sheets, then in the display "can't staple more than 50" I get a icon to cancel stapling and it brings the job log up to highlight and delete the current job.
    So does your unit have the same options? (finisher) so does is get 50 stapled? Or just 49? Or does it bomb and not staple at all? Does your finisher and copier match his in settings?
    Thanks for your input brother!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk