Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives

Has anyone tried to replace the standard hdd with the new ssd drives on the e to 8 series copiers? We tried but get get an error of fa14. If we get into the service mode to run a logic format, It stays at 0% and never changes. Not sure if we should try Physical format on the ssd or what.

Re: Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives

Wonder if the SATA driver and firmware will allow for this.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by larweedad View Post
    Has anyone tried to replace the standard hdd with the new ssd drives on the e to 8 series copiers? We tried but get get an error of fa14. If we get into the service mode to run a logic format, It stays at 0% and never changes. Not sure if we should try Physical format on the ssd or what.
    What Brand of SSD? Most copiers run a *nix (Linux/Unix) flavor of Operating System. You might check to see if that SSD has been tested & spec'd to run natively with a *nix OS!!! I know that there is a company that sells Apple upgrade parts, Apple Mac Upgrades - RAM, SSD Flash, External Drives and More Mac OS X is a *nix system and Macsales has their SSD'S rated to work with Apple Hardware. You might need to dig a little deeper for compatibility information!!!Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrivesHas anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

There is an SSD upgrade kit available however I simply replace the failed HDD with “like for like”
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

I don't really know much about the cx58s but I do know about HDDs.

In theory it should work as long as you have the correct partitions tables set, and I am almost sure you will need to the Physical Format first either way. I don't know what the HDD sizes are, but you might have to utilize a partition editor to make a partition the exact size as the 8 series (in case KM but some sort of HDD size checking in place for some reason).

I always thought that if I needed to I could always upgrade the HDD on older machines, but I have always had extras and honestly haven't had many HDD failures that I couldn't fix, so I never tried it.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts larweedad's Avatar

It was worth a try and thanks for the responses

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Do you have real advantages with an SSD on a multifunction printer? The operating system is integrated into the card so I don't think there are speeds in the startup. Maybe when doing voluminous scans or using the user box but I usually haven't noticed any particular differences.

What do you think? Let me know your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Do you have real advantages with an SSD on a multifunction printer? The operating system is integrated into the card so I don't think there are speeds in the startup. Maybe when doing voluminous scans or using the user box but I usually haven't noticed any particular differences.

I have wondered the same. I am not sure if the bottleneck is the HDD, but a c650 with the IC-409 (no SSD) will run circles around c654s with no Fiery especially on large pdf scans/prints. Given the age discrepancy, there should be no excuse for this and what more annoying is the IC-409 is really not that powerful of a computer.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post

My whole reasoning of the idea for this SSD swap of a failed HDD (I work with @larweedad) was from a standpoint of price and mechanical reliability, in addition to possibly faster scans to the HDD or even prints when ripped to the HDD. Our service manager gets HDDs for about $90.00 already formatted properly for specific machines. If we could use SSD's in place of spinning HDD's, one can get a brand name 256GB SSD for around $50.00. Then all we would have to do would be to properly format the new drives. But what we discovered was that there are 11 partitions for the 4e series HDDs after performing a physical format, followed by a logical format. Since mechanical failures of spinning HDD's are relatively rare, I'm not sure the effort to try and make SSD's usable is worth it. And the whole SATA controller F/W compatibility thing is also a consideration.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    I have wondered the same. I am not sure if the bottleneck is the HDD, but a c650 with the IC-409 (no SSD) will run circles around c654s with no Fiery especially on large pdf scans/prints. Given the age discrepancy, there should be no excuse for this and what more annoying is the IC-409 is really not that powerful of a computer.
    Your computing device, regardless of operating system, is only as fast as the slowest component bottle necking the data chain!!!Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives...so yes, a SSD (no moving parts) is a definite consideration for upgrading!!!Has anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrivesHas anyone replaced the standard hdd with the new ssd harddrives

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html