Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

C368 power-over-ethernet request

I have a C368 that keeps falling off the network a few minutes after connecting the cable. The customer's IT says they're detecting a power-over-ethernet request from that port, which is causing the port to reset. They've tried switching to a different port on the switch, with the same results. Any idea what could be happening?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Re: C368 power-over-ethernet request

I would start doing a very simple thing: you try to connect it directly to the PC. If this works, the problem is with the customer's network. If not, there may be something wrong with the c368.

let me know
    Bix

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Keep this in mind too: ip filtering in the new firmware may be set by default. I advise you to disable it!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    I have a C368 that keeps falling off the network a few minutes after connecting the cable. The customer's IT says they're detecting a power-over-ethernet request from that port, which is causing the port to reset. They've tried switching to a different port on the switch, with the same results. Any idea what could be happening?
    C368 shouldn't have ANY POE!!! POE sounds like it is being pushed by/from the switch!!! POE is only necessary for ethernet powered devices such as POE powered Wi-Fi Routers, IP Video Cameras, Raspberry Pi with a POE Hat and other such IOT devices that do not have their own external power supply or are at a remote location and it's not feasible to have a power point at that location for powering that device... it can be powered through the ethernet cable sent from the POE ethernet switch. The switch functions for power and data. In the case of the C368, I would think you'd not want to have it attached to a POE Switch!!!C368 power-over-ethernet requestC368 power-over-ethernet request

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
    REACH FOR THE STARS!!!
    Konica Minolta Planetariums!
    https://www.konicaminolta.com/planet...gma/index.html

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

The customer is getting by for now by disabling POE on that port. But they insist there is a request for power coming over the port (not happening when another device is connected). There is no issue when I connect my laptop to the printer, but the problem follows it when they switch it to a different port.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by qbert69 View Post
    C368 shouldn't have ANY POE!!! POE sounds like it is being pushed by/from the switch!!! POE is only necessary for ethernet powered devices such as POE powered Wi-Fi Routers, IP Video Cameras, Raspberry Pi with a POE Hat and other such IOT devices that do not have their own external power supply or are at a remote location and it's not feasible to have a power point at that location for powering that device... it can be powered through the ethernet cable sent from the POE ethernet switch. The switch functions for power and data. In the case of the C368, I would think you'd not want to have it attached to a POE Switch!!!C368 power-over-ethernet requestC368 power-over-ethernet request

All of their other copiers are connected through the same switch with no problem.

All of their other copiers are connected through the same switch with no problem.
    Doesn't matter!!! POE should NOT be enabled except for devices that require it!!!C368 power-over-ethernet requestC368 power-over-ethernet request

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Image Resolution Extremely Low...Pixellated...Impossible to Read!!!C368 power-over-ethernet request

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by harigabi View Post
    Hi! I found this...

Attachment 45877
    Yep! I figured as much!!! Why enable POE if you don't need it!!!--printers don't need POE for sure!!!...so basically it comes down to the IT Department's problem and mis-management of their network devices!!! C368 power-over-ethernet requestC368 power-over-ethernet request

REACH FOR THE STARS!!!

Self Employed 1,000+ Posts D_L_P's Avatar

The customer is getting by for now by disabling POE on that port. But they insist there is a request for power coming over the port (not happening when another device is connected). There is no issue when I connect my laptop to the printer, but the problem follows it when they switch it to a different port.
    That's a weird one. I'd turn off extra protocals like Bonjour, SNMP, or UPnP at the C368.
    Maybe that specific router interprets the request from one of those discovery protocols as a sign the C368 has PPOE?