Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

Post Bizhub C284e lines down prints

Hello,

I have a C284e, I bought off a shady supplier - All is good with these printers for a few months then I come across this issue again.
    Due to lack of knowledge on them I usually just return it and buy a new machine from them, but I am tired of doing this and would like to learn/fix it myself or at least know what is wrong with it.

I print around 4000 color pages a month with around 30-50% coverage of the A4.

If I print light colors, mainly light grey, light pink or light blue I get some dark lines down the page - I have attached an image of the problem.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Bizhub C284e lines down prints

Re: Bizhub C284e lines down prints

Quote Originally Posted by schmeckles22 View Post
    Hello,

I have a C284e, I bought off a shady supplier - All is good with these printers for a few months then I come across this issue again.
    Due to lack of knowledge on them I usually just return it and buy a new machine from them, but I am tired of doing this and would like to learn/fix it myself or at least know what is wrong with it.

I print around 4000 color pages a month with around 30-50% coverage of the A4.

If I print light colors, mainly light grey, light pink or light blue I get some dark lines down the page - I have attached an image of the problem.

hello, 1) get at least one service manual to study, if you have to do technical assistance don't you think? 2) make a print with 100% coverage for each color (C, M, Y, Blk). Check the PM counters.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by GIUBOSS View Post
    hello, 1) get at least one service manual to study, if you have to do technical assistance don't you think? 2) make a print with 100% coverage for each color (C, M, Y, Blk). Check the PM counters.
    I have done full coverage in the past and the issue was with Yellow and Magenta.
    The counters for the DR-512s is 0% because the shady company says they replaced them without resetting the chips.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub C284e lines down prints

I have done full coverage in the past and the issue was with Yellow and Magenta.
    The counters for the DR-512s is 0% because the shady company says they replaced them without resetting the chips.
    Looks like you need a few drums and possibly the transfer belt. Some aftermarket drums work fine to save money. Also you can use the less expensive black drum for color but need to change the chip. Kon/Min knew people were doing this so the new style drums have the chip riveted in, you have to break out oem chip and there is a chip sold on internet with cutout to tightly fit around the rivet. No screw needed.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Sometimes this could be just dirty drum charging grid but if you have drum at 0% life i doubt that is the case.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Print CMYK at 30% coverage one for every color. Then you will know which drum/drums is/are problematic, swap color drums around to verify faulty drums. As others said TBU may need change.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

I would try black drum first then possibly colours ad transfer belt. If that doesn’t sort it possible dev units.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technician

I would try black drum first then possibly colour drums and transfer belt

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Looks like you need a few drums and possibly the transfer belt. Some aftermarket drums work fine to save money. Also you can use the less expensive black drum for color but need to change the chip. Kon/Min knew people were doing this so the new style drums have the chip riveted in, you have to break out oem chip and there is a chip sold on internet with cutout to tightly fit around the rivet. No screw needed.
    Thank you, I read that using the black drum as color with the chip change can cause issues with prints? Can you confirm this

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Print CMYK at 30% coverage one for every color. Then you will know which drum/drums is/are problematic, swap color drums around to verify faulty drums. As others said TBU may need change.
    Did not think about swapping drums to differentiate the problem! Good shout

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops85 View Post
    I would try black drum first then possibly colour drums and transfer belt
    Will look into it, thank you

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Thank you, I read that using the black drum as color with the chip change can cause issues with prints? Can you confirm this
    Have done this hundreds of times. On this model you can do it without any problems.

Your sample definitely looks like drum(s), but without a sample print from each individual drum, it's hard to say which one(s).

Have you tried to clean the charge coronas or laser glass yet? Doing this might improve the quality of the output temporarily.

• Open the front access door and CAREFULLY remove waste tone box (it will make a HUGE mess if you tip or drop it!). Each drum has a charge cleaner and a laser glass window. There may be instructions on the inside of the access door how to clean them, but it's real simple.

• Charge cleaning: Grab the WHITE "flags" (Red circles in image) that are sticking out from each drum and carefully slide them in and out fully quite a few times. It's unlikely that it's ever been done before, so the more you do each the better. Maybe 10 to 20 times each.
    • Laser glass cleaning: Use the cleaning "wand" (Green circle in image) mounted inside the front access door. With the waste box removed, you will see small slots under each of the drum/dev assemblies. They are marked with a light blue rectangle just below the opening (Green arrows in image). Slide the wand in and out 2 or 3 times in each slot. It can be a tight fit sometimes, so take care, especially when removing the wand so as to not tear off the cleaning pad.

Laser and Charge C284e.jpg
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...