Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Bizhub c552 color issue

Bizhub c552 color issue

Hey everyone,

I am having a color issue with a Konica Minolta C552. This print job will run great and then from one page to the next, the colors change almost as if the yellow is overcharged, or cyan goes missing. It is consistently inconsistent as it can run 9 out of 10 fine, or 9 of the next 10 will be off. Sometimes it is one page, sometimes it is five in a row.

Re-seated everything on the HVPS, re-seated transfer belt and all imaging units, even created a spacer to hold the IU's tighter against the contacts on the machine side, cleaned contacts, ID sensors, ran gradation adjustments. Customer also has a C654e that I have tested the job on and it runs great. I've tested the job on two different Macs and even tried using the C654e driver on the C552 and none of it made any difference. I had the exact problem at the same account about a year ago on the same machine but they ended up just running the job on the C654e and called it good. This job is run on plain paper setting but the stock is a little bit glossy.

At this point I would say it's something within the file or InDesign, but why doesn't it do it on the C654e?

I've attached the example, the second page is the problem image. Let me know what you guys think!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Bizhub c552 color issue

sounds like a hv short, look for the white arc marks. there is a bulletin about this.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boltaction View Post
    I've attached the example, the second page is the problem image. Let me know what you guys think!
    I'll be honest with you, the second page looks better to me than the first. The flesh tones and the wood floor actually look the correct color. The first page looks way too "blue".
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Bizhub c552 color issue

The first image has absolutely no yellow: 0% everywhere I checked. I'd concentrate on the absence of yellow.

It won't be a primary charge issue: no yellow primary charge would give you a yellow solid page.

It won't be a secondary transfer charge issue: it would affect all colors.

If you were losing yellow primary transfer it might look like this.

If you were losing yellow developer bias voltage it might look like this.

I would be curious to know if there was residual yellow toner on the primary transfer belt if you emergency stop the machine during one of the anomalous prints.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    The first image has absolutely no yellow: 0% everywhere I checked. I'd concentrate on the absence of yellow.

=^..^=
    The funny thing is, the way he has the pages labeled, and how he describes it in the post, the first page is the "good" page, and the second is the "bad" page. In my opinion, there is no problem with the C552, it is the C654e that has the problem. As you pointed out, the "good" page has no yellow, and just looks terrible. I think we need some clarification from the OP before diagnosing further, because the "bad" page looks perfect to me.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

I'm noticing less Magenta on second page. You can take test prints from Utility, User settings printer settings reports and demo page. Or Make CMY boxes in MS Word and print multiple pages to see which color is causing problem. Start with IU and then to ITB.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Bizhub c552 color issue

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    The funny thing is, the way he has the pages labeled, and how he describes it in the post, the first page is the "good" page, and the second is the "bad" page. In my opinion, there is no problem with the C552, it is the C654e that has the problem. As you pointed out, the "good" page has no yellow, and just looks terrible. I think we need some clarification from the OP before diagnosing further, because the "bad" page looks perfect to me.
    I told them the same thing but the first page matches what you see on the original when they pull up the file on their Macs, and it prints that way on the C654e. I assumed the photo was shot or edited using a filter. It is a two sided document, the second page is B/W and they print it out using auto color. Thinking that it might have something to do with switching between color and grayscale, I called them yesterday and had them send the job using full color and they said it was printing fine. Then I had them switch it back to auto color and it wasn't doing it then either.

My guess is that it was a problem within InDesign, the file itself or the Mac because now they can't get the problem to come back.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts
    Bizhub c552 color issue

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post

I would be curious to know if there was residual yellow toner on the primary transfer belt if you emergency stop the machine during one of the anomalous prints.

=^..^=
    Tried it but the problem is if you aren't taking the belt out of the machine to inspect the image then it's hard to tell but if you are then its incredibly time consuming and it's always looked like the first image (the apparently correct one) with no visible excess of yellow.