Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Technician

[PICS] What needs replacing here?

Hello,

I have posted a few times on this forum and asked similar questions but I have opted to keep the 130k milage printer and replace some of the parts (If it's what I think it is).
    For a long time now prints have had dark lines down them, Its visible on light shades (graduation of colors) and a lot of my customers complain about it.

I have posted a "Peach" print as it's visible more and appears to be slightly visible on - Magenta, Cyan and Yellow prints.
    Below is the graduation test / calibration pages which seem completely broken and this is after a few attempts to calibrate.

Would the problem be with the drum units or developer? I really hope it could be the drum unit - Due to COVID-19 I cannot get someone to check the printer as my city is in complete lockdown.
    Worst case I will fork out £2200 for a new printer and a service contract but I like to salvage what I have right now with money being short.

Total Prints - 136,454
    Dev Units all on 86%

Last edited by schmeckles22; 07-13-2020 at 09:18 PM.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: [PICS] What needs replacing here?

Quote Originally Posted by schmeckles22 View Post
    Hello,

I have posted a few times on this forum and asked similar questions but I have opted to keep the 130k milage printer and replace some of the parts (If it's what I think it is).
    For a long time now prints have had dark lines down them, Its visible on light shades (graduation of colors) and a lot of my customers complain about it.

I have posted a "Peach" print as it's visible more and appears to be slightly visible on - Magenta, Cyan and Yellow prints.
    Below is the graduation test / calibration pages which seem completely broken and this is after a few attempts to calibrate.

Would the problem be with the drum units or developer? I really hope it could be the drum unit - Due to COVID-19 I cannot get someone to check the printer as my city is in complete lockdown.
    Worst case I will fork out £2200 for a new printer and a service contract but I like to salvage what I have right now with money being short.

of the top of my head WITHOUT knowing the model/make of the printer..... dev units.

do a full fill of each individual color and report back.

in your profile you say you have 10+ years experience .. in what brand/model?

IMHO anyone with that much time in should be able to give better information.

"Due to COVID-19 I cannot get someone to check the printer as my city is in complete lockdown." again if you are a 10yr tech why do you need someone else to come out and service your printer?

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Phil B. View Post
    of the top of my head WITHOUT knowing the model/make of the printer..... dev units.

do a full fill of each individual color and report back.
    Sorry! I should have mentioned - It's a C284e.
    Dev units ! Not the news I wanted to hear as they are not cheap. I have done a full fill on Cyan,Magenta and Yellow and it's difficult to see any lines, they are present but not as noticeable than the image sent above.

I corrected my profile, not sure why it mentions 10+ years, definitely not a technician that's for sure (Printers drive me nuts)

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Press Utility, Check consumable life and replace any items that are at end of life. Clean print head windows and rerun calibration.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Press Utility, Check consumable life and replace any items that are at end of life. Clean print head windows and rerun calibration.
    The Drum Units show 0% but the supplier insists that they replaced the chip and when questioned he said the engineer changed a setting and this is the reason they show 0%, when setting is disabled consumable percentage will come back.

"That’s a setting on the machine in service mode so you can use the drums past the allowance, Konica restrict the drums miles before they actually need replacing so most people want to have that setting on so you can continue printing after it says the life has expired on the drum, you can’t do that if the settings off. My engineer is away this week but if you want instructions on how to turn that back on I’ll get them for you when he returns."

I am really trying to avoid buying the wrong part here as they are not cheap.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

fuck the chip and all who use them.
    replace the damn worn consumables and fix the damn thing!

normally i dont get that rude and direct but im tired of seeing "I put a band-aid on a broken arm but it still hurts"
    im starting to think maybe Phil has it right all along

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    fuck the chip and all who use them.
    replace the damn worn consumables and fix the damn thing!

normally i dont get that rude and direct but im tired of seeing "I put a band-aid on a broken arm but it still hurts"
    im starting to think maybe Phil has it right all along
    I never did it myself, I was told it had 80% consumables on the drum units when purchased and received it with 0% and assumed they replaced the drum. I agree with your quote, I just want to determine from pictures if it's the drum units at fault or developer units.

Business has been hit hard due to the virus and my business revolves around this printer, its not used just to print a few invoices - It is my business, so I don't want to offload £700 on dev units to find it's the drums or the other way around

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Without reading the replies and most of your post, by looking at the picture:

- Charging Units
    - Drum Units
    - Development Units

in this order.

Also, if the machine has it, and to minimize the problem, adjust the background voltage to either the maximum or minimum allowed (can't remember which one, I mainly do Ricoh nowadays).
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mrwho View Post
    Without reading the replies and most of your post, by looking at the picture:

- Charging Units
    - Drum Units
    - Development Units

in this order.

Also, if the machine has it, and to minimize the problem, adjust the background voltage to either the maximum or minimum allowed (can't remember which one, I mainly do Ricoh nowadays).
    I have no idea where charging units go on a c284e, I will start with Drum units Wish me luck

Major Asshole! 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schmeckles22 View Post
    I have no idea where charging units go on a c284e, I will start with Drum units Wish me luck
    I believe the drum units include the chargers on those models...
    ' "But the salesman said . . ." The salesman's an asshole!'
    Mascan42

'You will always find some Eskimo ready to instruct the Congolese on how to cope with heat waves.'

Ibid

I'm just an ex-tech lurking around and spreading disinformation!