Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub 364e letterhead & 2 sided?

Delivered this off lease machine. I initalized the machine and wiped all the settings when in the shop.

Customer called a few hours later and said she put letterhead in tray 2 and set for letterhead. Tray 1 plain paper. When she sends a print job or copying from tray 2 it always pulls letterhead back in for two sided. If they change to plain paper it's fine and doesn't do 2 sided.

I know the print drivers are factory set for 2 sided and I always change that to one sided but like I posted this happens when copying and printing.

She changed some settings on the interface page and didn't help.

Anyone ever see this? Hoping it's some simple setting so I don't have to drive 2 hours and spend another hour trying to find setting.

Why does this stupid crap always happen to far away accounts

Thanks in advance for any help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 364e letterhead & 2 sided?

Konica always duplex letter head even if its only printing one sided. you cant turn that off.

thats why i always i leave it on plain paper and just take it out of the auto tray selection list

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

it pre-warms the paper and flattens the fibers because traditional letterhead is on linen paper.
    if its regular white you can assign special paper to that tray and for 1 sided only if i recall.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the quick replies! Good information.

Do you know if it will automatically duplex from by-pass tray?

Learn something new everyday.

Thanks again for the help.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    it pre-warms the paper and flattens the fibers because traditional letterhead is on linen paper.
    if its regular white you can assign special paper to that tray and for 1 sided only if i recall.
    This is something I have never really thought about and subsequently always thought letterhead was a pointless setting. Thanks for reading the manuals far closer than me

When she sends a print job or copying from tray 2 it always pulls letterhead back in for two sided. If they change to plain paper it's fine and doesn't do 2 sided.
    So duplex is not working or is this one observant operator?

Here are some observations I formulated working in different fields over the years:

Regarding running stocks that have a rough "paper-calendering," I have personally ran cases upon cases of such letterhead stock--linen/laid/parch/cotton/plastics/labels/odd glossy shit that should be ran on a press--if I ever had a problem, I just bumped it up to thick 1-4 (sometimes even second side). Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Another trick I have used with nonstandard stocks is to add a blank page to the document with a dot outside of the printing boundaries (in case skip blank page is enabled and as long as the duplex section is functional [same method can be used for copies if needed].) of course this is not something to push on customers but it works quite well.

Another trick with really stubborn stocks and/or stubborn solids (i.e., pure black/dark composites) is to print the job, then run it though the bypass again as thick 4 as a blank copy/running mode out of SM--really smooths it out.

I know most of you are not in the actual printing industry (I used to be). These machines can be manipulated far beyond their intended use.
    Last edited by Synaux; 08-01-2020 at 04:53 AM.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Do you know if it will automatically duplex from by-pass tray?
    every/any tray that is denoted as letterhead will auto duplex including the bypass

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts B0265's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Delivered this off lease machine. I initalized the machine and wiped all the settings when in the shop.

Customer called a few hours later and said she put letterhead in tray 2 and set for letterhead. Tray 1 plain paper. When she sends a print job or copying from tray 2 it always pulls letterhead back in for two sided. If they change to plain paper it's fine and doesn't do 2 sided.

I know the print drivers are factory set for 2 sided and I always change that to one sided but like I posted this happens when copying and printing.

She changed some settings on the interface page and didn't help.

Anyone ever see this? Hoping it's some simple setting so I don't have to drive 2 hours and spend another hour trying to find setting.

Why does this stupid crap always happen to far away accounts

Thanks in advance for any help.
    The reason for this behavior is to ensure that the letterhead/logo is always printed on the front page regardless if you print 1 sided or 2 sided documents.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts drowranger's Avatar

There is a way around by using media modifier IWS to print without this delay even letterhead selected by driver. But need extra memory and Web kit to install the IWS.