Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Re: Bizhub C258 high pitch whine when copying/printing

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    I'd really like to know why the claim that the k drum is not the same as the cmy for the 8 series as it has been for the 0 and 4/e series. Yes there's a plastic stopper (easily removed). Then there's the chip. What else? I'm told you can't just chip an 8 series k drum as cmy... Why?
    There is the small plastic stopper on the right side of the black drum, there is the chip you need to swap, and then there is a change in the front left area near the drum. See the attached image. At one point you could remove the pieces and just swap between the 2 drums, but apparently they modified it making it impossible to do that now.

Some people have said that this piece is a spacer to keep the drum a certain distance from the development unit. I say it's not. I've looked at it pretty closely, and as far as I can tell, this piece does not touch the development unit at all. What I've started doing is just clipping the tab off with a small pair of end cutters (nippers), down just far enough so that the drum fits into the machine. So far haven't had a bit of problem, which if that truly was a spacer, I'd figure I would have seen one by now. Just my opinion, your welcome to try if you like, or not...

Konica-Minolta DR-313 Drum Comparison.jpg
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

femaster
    Looks like you knocked that one outta da park!
    We'll try that out. Thanks.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Don N. View Post
    femaster
    Looks like you knocked that one outta da park!
    We'll try that out. Thanks.
    I have changed the drum and still got the same noise, I will try an oem drum just to check.

It doesn't do the noise on start up, but does the noise when using the bypass feed.

if you want to use K drums as colour drums, then keep the front end caps from your colour drums and swap them onto black drums with col chip and break off the right side spacer. otherwise you will get half a colour fade down the side of copies, the dev space is crutial.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scarekrow View Post
    I have changed the drum and still got the same noise, I will try an oem drum just to check.

It doesn't do the noise on start up, but does the noise when using the bypass feed.

if you want to use K drums as colour drums, then keep the front end caps from your colour drums and swap them onto black drums with col chip and break off the right side spacer. otherwise you will get half a colour fade down the side of copies, the dev space is crutial.
    The documented high pitch noise on aftermarket drums is heard anytime high voltage/charge is applied. During part of stabilization and copy process.
    Appreciate the tip on saving color front end caps.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    There is the small plastic stopper on the right side of the black drum, there is the chip you need to swap, and then there is a change in the front left area near the drum. See the attached image. At one point you could remove the pieces and just swap between the 2 drums, but apparently they modified it making it impossible to do that now.

Some people have said that this piece is a spacer to keep the drum a certain distance from the development unit. I say it's not. I've looked at it pretty closely, and as far as I can tell, this piece does not touch the development unit at all. What I've started doing is just clipping the tab off with a small pair of end cutters (nippers), down just far enough so that the drum fits into the machine. So far haven't had a bit of problem, which if that truly was a spacer, I'd figure I would have seen one by now. Just my opinion, your welcome to try if you like, or not...

Konica-Minolta DR-313 Drum Comparison.jpg
    I need to make a correction to this post, as I made an extensive look into this yesterday. I was in the office doing a full tear-down and refurb on a C284e and took some time to thoroughly look at the connection between the development unit and the drum units. The tab indicated in the image above for all models with this style setup DO in fact interface with the development unit. That location is where the silver bearing on each end of the mag roller in the development unit rests.

Just to clarify my recommendation of trimming the tab in my original post: When modifying a Cxx8 series black drum to fit as a color drum, if you elect to snip off the tab with end cutters as I have been doing, it is important to cut it down so that it is even with the height of the rest of that plastic piece. Basically you want it trimmed down enough to the point that there is no longer a tab, but is an even height across the whole piece, like you find on the color drums. I have personally been doing this the whole time, so it would explain why I haven't been having any issues with it.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

Problem Identified, It was the drums The drum I swapped it with must have been from the same batch as swapping it again with an OEM drum stopped the noise, when I got back to the workshop I tested a new Katun drum and it was fine, so it must have been from a different supplier or an older katun drum, the only visible difference was the the one that was making the noise was a dark olive green colour as opposed to the katun one that was ok been a lighter green colour.

Thanks Don for pushing on that idea and for all the input from everyone else.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scarekrow View Post
    Problem Identified, It was the drums The drum I swapped it with must have been from the same batch as swapping it again with an OEM drum stopped the noise, when I got back to the workshop I tested a new Katun drum and it was fine, so it must have been from a different supplier or an older katun drum, the only visible difference was the the one that was making the noise was a dark olive green colour as opposed to the katun one that was ok been a lighter green colour.

Thanks Don for pushing on that idea and for all the input from everyone else.
    Appreciate you reporting the solution! It bears repeating, ( I think I posted already?) Katun is coming out with a redesigned batch. We've been all OEM since returning defects from 2 diff. suppliers. Will likely try KTN again pending succes with converting K drums to CMY with 2-3 steps on 8 series.