Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

KM bizhub C364e touch panel unresponsive

Hi guys. Just fly over one C364e machine with touch panel completely unresponsive to touches. It goes to ready, it prints fine, buttons are working but touch not.
    Strange thing is I went into SM via trouble reset door and touch worked perfectly. I saw a lot of C-FA14 errors in history and also one C-D411.
    When I perform full self-diagnostic machine ended it with C-4091 which was recovered upon reboot.
    I will try FW first but in your experience and wisdom where should I start with parts - Panel assembly, MFPB, interface cable, other?
    Should I try calibration of panel via USB memory?

TIA
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Re: KM bizhub C364e touch panel unresponsive

Have a way to go thanks to talk with senior tech member of CTN. What if HDD started to act up, that would explain somehow why touch panel works in SM.
    Next time would start doing Logical format and try to disconnect and disable HDD and see how it goes
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I've only had two kinds of operation panel failures on the "e" series: catastrophic (i.e. fork lift though the screen), and bizarre (i.e. strange color palette, not changeable, but otherwise fully functional).

The catastrophic always requires panel replacement.
    The bizarre may someday require a PRCB, but as long as it remains functional I'll leave it be.

=^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

BC, thanks for your reply. It's not visually damaged but is fully inoperable in user mode.
    They cannot scan or copy just print.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Really a strange one. You would think if screen is bad it would never come on.

Definitely worth a shot to do touch panel adj by powering on machine with firmware USB in "service port" and hold down yellow reset while turning. Similar to trouble reset but the touch panel adjust screen will come on instead (hopefully). After touch panel adjustment the firmware screen will come up. You can exit at that point if firmware doesn't need to be upgraded.

You already know touch screen adj procedure but posted it for others as well.

Can't wait to hear what it was because I have over 100 of these I work on.

Good luck

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Really a strange one. You would think if screen is bad it would never come on.

Definitely worth a shot to do touch panel adj by powering on machine with firmware USB in "service port" and hold down yellow reset while turning. Similar to trouble reset but the touch panel adjust screen will come on instead (hopefully). After touch panel adjustment the firmware screen will come up. You can exit at that point if firmware doesn't need to be upgraded.

You already know touch screen adj procedure but posted it for others as well.

Can't wait to hear what it was because I have over 100 of these I work on.

Good luck
    What the heck?!! All I work on for decades is KM and I've never even heard of this touch panel adjust thing on these models (older ones, of course but they were resistive). I can't seem to find any info on it on KM's site, either. BUT, a quick search in the service manual and there it is. I've never had to replace a touch panel on any of the 4 series or newer so wasn't aware of it. Apparently there is another way to manually do the adjustment as well. From the SM:

(1) Touch panel calibration
    • After replacing the control panel unit, you must perform the touch panel calibration.
    Perform one of the calibration procedures described below.
    (a) Panel Calibration by using USB memory
    1. Connect the USB memory containing the MFP firmware data to the service port.
    For information on how to store the firmware data into a USB memory, refer to “J.2. USB memory”.
    2. While pressing the ‘Reset’ key, turn the main power switch ON.
    3. As the calibration screen appears, press the Start key, perform calibration and wait for a while.
    4. Confirm that the completion message. Touch [Close].
    5. Turn OFF the main power switch, and remove the USB memory.
    NOTE
    • Once the panel calibration has been completed, panel screen transit to the firmware writing mode and start to update
    automatically after 30 seconds.
    (b) Panel Calibration by manual operation
    1. Press [Menu] -> [Counter] -> [Display Keypad].
    2. Press Stop -> Clear -> 1 -> 1 -> 6 -> 6 -> Start key, then calibration starts.
    3. After 30 seconds, turn OFF the main power switch.

I learned something new which is what I love about this job!
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Hi guys and thanks all for the responses, much appreciated.
    I somehow advanced on this bizarre problem now they can print and also copy but it's not fully fixed atm.
    It bothers me utmost to solve this one as it's not common panel failure or something I ever heard of.
    I will definitely follow up.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Hi guys and thanks all for the responses, much appreciated.
    I somehow advanced on this bizarre problem now they can print and also copy but it's not fully fixed atm.
    It bothers me utmost to solve this one as it's not common panel failure or something I ever heard of.
    I will definitely follow up.
    Would be nice if you had a machine you could pull a working control panel from and swap it out to see if that helps. That Control Panel Assembly is the same on all Bizhub C224e C284e C364e C454e C554e C654e C754e series copiers.

Swapping that panel would certainly confirm or eliminate it as the cause of the issue.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com

Quote Originally Posted by blazebusiness View Post
    Would be nice if you had a machine you could pull a working control panel from and swap it out to see if that helps. That Control Panel Assembly is the same on all Bizhub C224e C284e C364e C454e C554e C654e C754e series copiers.

Swapping that panel would certainly confirm or eliminate it as the cause of the issue.
    Thanks blazebusiness. Unfortunately I haven't parts machine to steal from but may search for one.
    Take care.

SanDiegoCopierRepair.com 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Thanks blazebusiness. Unfortunately I haven't parts machine to steal from but may search for one.
    Take care.
    Too bad you're not near San Diego, California....I'd give you one to try. We have a ton of used 4 series machines we use as rental copiers.
    Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough- San Diego Copier Repair.com