Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

C659 Enabling Fax

So hopefully I am missing something easy and dumb but I am having an issue faxing out with C659 - FK-516

It seems like it is the "enable Fax Tx" option like the I series have, but this is not an I series and I cannot find any such setting.

When the machine boots up it says preparing scan/fax but when you press Menu it just says "scan" and under direct input Fax is not a TX option. Interestingly I do have a dialtone it does let me "off hook"

Things tried-

Disabled - reenabled fax in service mode. Verified Marketing area to US, Initialzied Fax, Fax File format. Reseated all connectors on both Fk and Machine side. Checked any settings I could in Admin mode.... Kinda stumped.

I was unable to verify RX settings because they do not know their Fax #. This machine is used for outgoing only.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

Re: C659 Enabling Fax

2 things, if you get a dial tone, dial 958. That should read you back the phone number over the speaker or call your cell to see the number.
    While in "scan" mode hit the number keypad and see if it allows dialing a phone number.

One last thing to check, well 2... make sure the cables from the fax are in the fax 1 connectors both usb and multipin cable. The other is the dip switch on the fax board itself check the physical dip switch is in the fax #1 position.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    2 things, if you get a dial tone, dial 958. That should read you back the phone number over the speaker or call your cell to see the number.
    While in "scan" mode hit the number keypad and see if it allows dialing a phone number.

One last thing to check, well 2... make sure the cables from the fax are in the fax 1 connectors both usb and multipin cable. The other is the dip switch on the fax board itself check the physical dip switch is in the fax #1 position.
    Good to know on the 958. Never knew that. I did try calling my cell and couldn't get out. Assuming something to do with outgoing being disabled but not sure. Sometimes when I do that companies "general #" will show up not the actual fax #.

I did try "10 keypad", nothing pops up to dial like usual just beeps. Both cables are definitely plugged into Fax 1. I physically checked them plus I think an error code would occur if not.

Good idea on the the DipSw ill definitely take a look.

Thanks for help.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I will redo fax kit install from scratch as per installation manual. One thing I observed is when you set fax kit in service mode they say to wait until preparing fax/scan warning(red lamp flashing) is gone. Which I seem to jump over few times hopefully without consequences

Good call on dip switch setting, Synthohol.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

There is no "enable fax TX settings", either you have a fax installed or you don't..The direct input can be removed a few ways..User authentication and restricting fax #s to only those in the address book by security settings. I suspect that if you have 2 lines and you dedicate 1 for incoming only you may not be able direct input out on that line. I have also seen issues where a 3rd party app that takes control via the Open API may lose various settings that were not built when the app was put together. Autostore lost separate scan and equitrac lost off hook TX for example. Also if the HDD is unset it may cause faxing issues. E

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    There is no "enable fax TX settings", either you have a fax installed or you don't..The direct input can be removed a few ways..User authentication and restricting fax #s to only those in the address book by security settings. I suspect that if you have 2 lines and you dedicate 1 for incoming only you may not be able direct input out on that line. I have also seen issues where a 3rd party app that takes control via the Open API may lose various settings that were not built when the app was put together. Autostore lost separate scan and equitrac lost off hook TX for example. Also if the HDD is unset it may cause faxing issues. E
    Thanks for confirming that setting didn't exist. I didn't think so. I have installed hundreds of these style fax kits at this point and never ran into this. This is a new machine so I am positive no apps are installed on the machine. I have already confirmed HDD is set, that was one of my first thoughts as well. As for user authentication, you really got me thinking on this one now. It was turned on at setup, they did not like it so we ended up turning it back off. Is something still on, is it still on but set to public access? Good questions, maybe you led me to the fix. I hope so!

Thanks

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

when "off hook" if you press the numbers does it dial or just beep over the dial tone?
    in mtg area US and OT need to be in the boxes, if anything other than OT that will also cause an issue.
    fax circuit 1 set (you said you did already)

you can check this for the hell of it too....

Solution
    CAUSE: The Prefix/Suffix Automatic Setting is enabled

SOLUTION: Perform the following:
    1. Select Utility on MFP screen
    2. Select Administrator Settings
    3. Enter Administrator password if necessary. Default 12345678 twice
    4. Select System Connection
    5. If on the i Series, select System Connection again. If not, go to step 6
    6. Set the Prefix/Suffix Auto Selection to OFF (default is OFF)
    7. Exit Utility mode.
    8. Ensure Fax selections are available

last but not least...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C659 Enabling Fax

Quote Originally Posted by MVPunisher View Post
    ... As for user authentication, you really got me thinking on this one now. It was turned on at setup, they did not like it so we ended up turning it back off. Is something still on, is it still on but set to public access? Good questions, maybe you led me to the fix. I hope so!

Thanks
    A unique thing about Konica Minolta, is that when you turn off authentication, the machine entirely wipes any users and setting that you created. Our Toshiba trained IT guy typically sets up a couple users at first, then turns it off again until the drivers are all loaded. One day he called me to say that he cannot find any of the users he set up. "Yes, they're gone."
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=