Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

We comment on iSeries firmware

Hi, I thought I'd create this thread to stay up to date on the recent firmware released for iSeries. We can comment on them and evaluate their usefulness for our problems.

WARNING: Do not use this thread to request firmware. Follow the rules and keep this thread clean.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Re: We comment on iSeries firmware

The currently recommended firmware is G00-B5. It solves several problems, especially with possible blocks.
    Now the G00-B6 firmware is out. This should resolve slow start-up problems if the network cable is disconnected.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Hi, I thought I'd create this thread to stay up to date on the recent firmware released for iSeries. We can comment on them and evaluate their usefulness for our problems.

WARNING: Do not use this thread to request firmware. Follow the rules and keep this thread clean.
    Yes there have been a few bugs with the iseries most issues seem to have been addressed now.

C250i C300i C360i G00-B5 Readme.pdf

C3350i C4050i G00-B5 readme.pdf
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    The currently recommended firmware is G00-B5. It solves several problems, especially with possible blocks.
    Now the G00-B6 firmware is out. This should resolve slow start-up problems if the network cable is disconnected.

I am now once again brave and do a test with a customer machine who is very close to the company with activated standby to see whether it works with the G00-B5 so that the machine does not stay in standby.

Unfortunately the B6 is not yet available in knova.

I am now once again brave and do a test with a customer who is very close to the company with activated standby to see whether it works with the G00-B5 so that the machine does not stay in standby.Unfortunately the B6 is not yet available with us.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

What is difference
    Special firmware
    Periodic
    Mass production

Which is best for flash?

Quote Originally Posted by arahael View Post
    What is difference
    Special firmware
    Periodic
    Mass production

Which is best for flash?

First update to the latest mass production then update the latest periodic/special firmware.

Lastly up to the latest function version.

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    First update to the latest mass production then update the latest periodic/special firmware.

Lastly up to the latest function version.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the installing of the latest special F/W. Those are usually to fix specific issues that are only for a few or certain customers with a very large fleet of machines. We never update to the special F/W unless it fixes a specific issue we are having or unless KM suggests it to fix an issue. Just blindly installing a special F/W because it's available when it's not needed may cause unnecessary issues and be a waste of time installing it if it isn't needed.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I'm gonna have to disagree with you on the installing of the latest special F/W. Those are usually to fix specific issues that are only for a few or certain customers with a very large fleet of machines. We never update to the special F/W unless it fixes a specific issue we are having or unless KM suggests it to fix an issue. Just blindly installing a special F/W because it's available when it's not needed may cause unnecessary issues and be a waste of time installing it if it isn't needed.

I think it's different in The UK. On the training courses they advice us to update each firmware as & when it is released.

This makes perfect sense to us, that way your machine is always bang up to date.

The key here is preventative maintenance' fix any issue before you even know you had one!

We call this maintenance firmware not 'special'

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

I think it's different in The UK. On the training courses they advice us to update each firmware as & when it is released.

This makes perfect sense to us, that way your machine is always bang up to date.

The key here is preventative maintenance' fix any issue before you even know you had one!

Yeah, there is probably a difference being across the pond. I'd call B5 the latest base F/W even though it's maintenance release 3, because that's where it gets downloaded from here in the states. Special F/W is a separate tab to the right of the base F/W tab.
    Last edited by srvctec; 09-03-2020 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added photo
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Okay I'm going to shit on KM being lazy again:

Region might matter. (But why would they go though all that trouble to change all that code? I guess that could be the opposite of being lazy... )

Perhaps things have changed over the years; however, I have never read anywhere that the latest "Special Firmware" incorporates the prior special firmware fixes.

Moreover, there is no mention of this scenario: Does a base firmware released in 2020 incorporate a special firmware's fixes from--I dunno--2015. One would assume it doesn't as the special firmware and base firmware are still on a separate area as noted by srvctec.

This is program updating 101 stuffs. Ultimately, if legacy firmwares are incorporated into the new firmwares then all this is unnecessarily convoluted. There might be some scenarios where coding conflictions arise, but if there are, there should be at least a footnote about it in the release notes.

I will send KM an apology letter if someone can clarify this.