Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C280 J-3003

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C280 J-3003

C280 J-3003

Hi everyone,

As I was printing a couple of hundred questionnaires on the C280, there would be an intermittent J-3003 jam with the paper jamming at the 2nd transfer roller. It appears to be happening at random intervals, and it doesn't happen with short run jobs. The machine had been working continuously for 2 hours and the area around the fuser had become hot to the touch (nothing extreme though), if that matters at all. The paper would get folded in a z-fold pattern at the 2nd transfer roller. Sometimes though whatever is causing this I assume also causes some sheets would come out heavily wrinkled, and you can hear some abnormal noise when this occurs.

I've read some older threads regarding that particular jam code suggesting that the 2nd transfer roller needs to be replaced, which normally I'd agree with, but the total counter on the machine is 135k! Which means that the 2nd transfer roller is nowhere near its EOL. I am attaching a few pictures of the 2nd transfer roller, maybe you can pick out what's wrong if it's there.

TIA!

Re: C280 J-3003

Check if you registration roller bushings are not gummed up.
    If its stiff to turn by hand remove vertical guide that houses the image density sensors and give it a good clean.

a Quick way to test is to put a small well directed and controlled amount of WD40 on those brass bushings.
    Not suppose to put lube there but you will know soon enough if its the registration roller ends and bushings that
    gummed up.

Could be something else.
    Whatever

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    C280 J-3003

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Check if you registration roller bushings are not gummed up.
    If its stiff to turn by hand remove vertical guide that houses the image density sensors and give it a good clean.

a Quick way to test is to put a small well directed and controlled amount of WD40 on those brass bushings.
    Not suppose to put lube there but you will know soon enough if its the registration roller ends and bushings that
    gummed up.

Could be something else.
    Just how stiff to turn are we talking about? Shouldn't the reg roller be a little stiff to turn normally?

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    C280 J-3003

On the xx4e series 30-03 jams can be caused by the exit section clutch CL8, or exit switch mounted on the outer door. None of my C360 series machines lasted long enough to get these problems, but that's where I would start. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Quote Originally Posted by orestesp View Post
    Just how stiff to turn are we talking about? Shouldn't the reg roller be a little stiff to turn normally?

Yes a little more than what you would expect from those rollers.
    Its got no clutch there and you will feel some resistance from the stepper motor magnets.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    On the xx4e series 30-03 jams can be caused by the exit section clutch CL8, or exit switch mounted on the outer door. None of my C360 series machines lasted long enough to get these problems, but that's where I would start. =^..^=
    And they can last still willing to PM them at 2mil if it was a runner.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Paper that has excessive curl may not separate easily from the Transfer belt and will contact
    the separator claw. A jam may occur or the claw may be pushed into the Transfer belt creating a scratch or possibly a gouge.
    There are parts modification. See attached.
    8978.pdf
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Same problem here - J3003 on long runs, sometimes... Have to go tomorrow. I has intention firstly giving a chance to WD40. Thank You tsbservice for pointing the issue.

BR
    I'll never ask if I didn't check user manual, service manual, parts list, BSI/TNI/TAD... web, existing threads.

Trusted Tech 50+ Posts

There should be a black guide that sits on the metal plate attached to the transfer belt. Its purpose is to assist paper in entering the fuser and stop lead edge flicking over the transfer belt. If this is missing can cause these jams, more often on 224 style machines but seen a few times on 280

Quote Originally Posted by ivovb View Post
    Same problem here - J3003 on long runs, sometimes... Have to go tomorrow. I has intention firstly giving a chance to WD40. Thank You tsbservice for pointing the issue.

BR
    Yes its just a quick check if that works or not you will need to strip and clean the shaft and bushings properly. The WD40 will loosen it but will be sure to gum up again in time.

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonad86 View Post
    There should be a black guide that sits on the metal plate attached to the transfer belt. Its purpose is to assist paper in entering the fuser and stop lead edge flicking over the transfer belt. If this is missing can cause these jams, more often on 224 style machines but seen a few times on 280
    O yea good point!
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by robinsonad86 View Post
    I don't see why this guide can be missing unless lazy users/techs decided to skip putting it back.

Edit: but it's missing there 😄
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.