Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 250+ Posts

458e shuts down during job

I have a 458e that a couple of times a day just stops in the middle of a job. The control panel goes blank, the start button alternated blue ad orange flashing, and the activity light continues to flash. I can hear fans running, but nothing else. The only way to get it back is to reboot the machine.

I already rewrote the firmware (G00-X8) and had no effect. SSD seems to think it might be a loose connection to the control panel, but that shouldn't make the engine shut down (they're even more useless than usual now that they're working from home). Any ideas?

BTW, this is a fairly new machine, only a few weeks old.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Re: 458e shuts down during job

Think I would start from Initialize All just in case anything is corrupted. Also I had cases(not KM) where corrupt file causes printer to restart in the middle of print job, I mean to check if this happens from different PCs and jobs. Any errors in log?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

There are no error codes in the history, and it's not a corrupt job because it also happens during copy jobs.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lock the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lick the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E

I co-sign this. Also measure the voltage at the power outlet. Could be low.

Technician

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    I have a 458e that a couple of times a day just stops in the middle of a job. The control panel goes blank, the start button alternated blue ad orange flashing, and the activity light continues to flash. I can hear fans running, but nothing else. The only way to get it back is to reboot the machine.

I already rewrote the firmware (G00-X8) and had no effect. SSD seems to think it might be a loose connection to the control panel, but that shouldn't make the engine shut down (they're even more useless than usual now that they're working from home). Any ideas?

BTW, this is a fairly new machine, only a few weeks old.
    I agree with the other techs, put the test probes on drop and run it, could be it's dropping too low or the cables are messed up. I had not too long ago a similar problem and over the weekend the building management did some work and pinched a ground somewhere that was affecting the circuit in the office the unit was plugged into. Only when the copier was needing juice the event was triggered, after this checks ok I'd look into the related copier components fuser, power supply, etc. My 2¢

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    maybe nothing in servcie mode error history, but check your Instantaneous power failer counters..Possibly you are dropping power, or brown out..A corrupt print job should lock the machine up, not re boot it. And a copy job should never re boot the machine.Could also be an intermittent short/ground with the engine. This would happen during print/copy. E
    Instantaneous power failure counters? Do you mean on the ESP power filter?

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mascan42 View Post
    Instantaneous power failure counters? Do you mean on the ESP power filter?
    Is this a new feature on the 8 series? Or is that the one that just says "Shutdown?"

Perform a I/O check on everything in SM.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

Are you sure the problem is the printers? I have had several customers with UPS. The ups was not powerful enough and caused the printer to shut down as soon as someone launched a job.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    Are you sure the problem is the printers? I have had several customers with UPS. The ups was not powerful enough and caused the printer to shut down as soon as someone launched a job.
    I've seen this situation. The UPS usuals squeals at you ever time you wake up the machine, and fuser errors. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=