Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Just bought C364e, could use some advance advice

Re: Just bought C364e, could use some advance advice

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about asking stupid questions. A wise man once said the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.
    That man obviously never taught corporate software training classes!

I got the donation to work!

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
    That man obviously never taught corporate software training classes!

I got the donation to work!
    That's funny. You suppose it was the same man that said: "The Customer is always right?" Hmmmm.....lol

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Can you clarify what the All Active Solutions is? It sounds interesting...
    My service manual is v1.0 I believe. It's probably quite outdated, as you say.
    I didn't want to be too needy.
    All Active Solutions is a document that has all the "Bulletins." These are all the known issues discovered since the the model has been released. Very handy tool. You get a code, control+f in there first and you will often get much more detailed info than the SM.

Version 1 lol

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. You have already exhibited the ability to learn and do your own research so no worries in my book.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    That's funny. You suppose it was the same man that said: "The Customer is always right?" Hmmmm.....lol
    Very likely, probably worked in HR.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synaux View Post
    All Active Solutions is a document that has all the "Bulletins." These are all the known issues discovered since the the model has been released. Very handy tool. You get a code, control+f in there first and you will often get much more detailed info than the SM.

Version 1 lol
    So basically an addendum to the SM? That does sound extremely useful.
    So once I know the situation with the machine, how to I go about starting the begging process?
    Can I just ask in this thread, or should I make a separate one?
    I've seen that SM requests have a separate thread. Should I ask for the other stuff in there as well, or ???

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Greetings all!
    I'm an end user (which will be painfully obvious very shortly), and I'm hoping I can get some advance assistance before I screw something up and become (even more of) a nuisance here.
    I've worked in the tech sector for the past 20+ yrs. I'm factory trained on Oce' large format engineering printer/copiers, and have extensive experience in general computer building and troubleshooting.
    However, I have very little experience with copier work. We do have a Bizhub c308 at my other office, and it's been absolutely fabulous, which is one of the reasons why I bought this new(er) machine. I've worked on the c308 a little, just some basic stuff like simple consumables replacement, cleaning, and print quality troubleshooting to assist a tech before he came out. I also am the network admin, so I'm sorta familiar with the KMBT web interface, at least the basics of it.

Anyway, I just bought a Bizhub C364e from a state surplus auction for my home office. I've not picked it up yet, but I'm trying to get an idea of things to be preparing for in order to put this machine back in service.
    According to the seller, the hard drive has been removed, and the "computer has been wiped", whatever that means. He assured me the machine was in basically functional condition, even without the HDD.
    What would you folks suggest as my first steps?
    Should I be planning to replace the HDD right away, or is that more involved that I've been lead to believe? I've done fairly extensive searching and reading here on the site, and it seems that a physical, followed by a logical format would be required, and that I may need an animation file? I also see frequent reference to service mode. I'm familiar with such from my Oce' days, but not how to gain access in this KM machine.
    I do have the service manual for this machine, but since it's nearly 1500 pages, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for yet, I haven't really dug into it much. Does it explain accessing service mode and how to perform the HDD format, and those other required steps, or will I likely still need some hand-holding from you kind folks?
    What other things would you consider to be SOP when testing and refurbing a machine to be put back into service, that I'm probably overlooking?
    Have I put myself in a bad situation, or am I likely to have a working copier without a ton of hassle and expense?

Any advice from the masters greatly appreciated!
    -E
    You have a C308 in your office so bought a 'newer' C364e ?

The C308 is the later model the 4e series is about 5/6 years old.

You can fit any SATA HDD it has to be 320GB or larger delete any partitions first using a USB HDD caddy etc if you use a 2nd hand one.

When you fit to the copier it will prompt you to format it.

​Thats when you will get prompted to install the movie animation firmware, we can supply this for you & the latest base firmware should you want to update the machine (this gives the Airprint option & SMB v3/3 security)

Firmware Update - Printer & Copier Firmware
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    You have a C308 in your office so bought a 'newer' C364e ?

The C308 is the later model the 4e series is about 5/6 years old.

You can fit any SATA HDD it has to be 320GB or larger delete any partitions first using a USB HDD caddy etc if you use a 2nd hand one.

When you fit to the copier it will prompt you to format it.

​Thats when you will get prompted to install the movie animation firmware, we can supply this for you & the latest base firmware should you want to update the machine (this gives the Airprint option & SMB v3/3 security)

Firmware Update - Printer & Copier Firmware
    Really? Oh man, my research let me down. I was having a hard time finding any sort of release dates on models, but we've had our c308 for about 4 years, and it was several years old when we bought it, so I assumed it was older than the c364e. Plus, just looking at the brochure for both, the 364 appeared to have more 'updated' features, like apps an such. Plus, it's faster, so I figured it was the newer model. That's what I get for assuming I guess. lol

So, for the HDD, why does it need to be 320GB or larger? The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive in it originally. Is that incorrect info?
    I'd love to have the animation file(s) and firmware on-hand, so that when I get the machine, I can go ahead and do that part of the process fairly soon, after running basic function checks and doing some cleaning of course.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

Really? Oh man, my research let me down. I was having a hard time finding any sort of release dates on models, but we've had our c308 for about 4 years, and it was several years old when we bought it, so I assumed it was older than the c364e. Plus, just looking at the brochure for both, the 364 appeared to have more 'updated' features, like apps an such. Plus, it's faster, so I figured it was the newer model. That's what I get for assuming I guess. lol

So, for the HDD, why does it need to be 320GB or larger? The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive in it originally. Is that incorrect info?
    I'd love to have the animation file(s) and firmware on-hand, so that when I get the machine, I can go ahead and do that part of the process fairly soon, after running basic function checks and doing some cleaning of course.
    The speed is worked out by the model so the C308 is 30 copies per minute your C364e is 36 per min.

The manual says 250GB but they all came with a 320gb hdd.

4 series, 8 series, 9 series latest is i series.
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

I'm a little late to the conversation, but all the information you got is correct:

320GB SATA drive.
    Logical then Physical format
    You'll be prompted to enter the encryption passphrase. IIRC it will be 20 characters, keep typing until it won't take any more characters (doesn't matter which, only that you can type the sequence identically twice). It is entered in the Utilities > Administrator Settings > etc, etc. (you have the manual).
    Then you can reload the firmware and movie data.

That's the minimum. When you get to a running condition you can try printing these pages:
    From there we can help you diagnose quality issues.
    The C364e is a popular model and runs well, just on the verge of obsolescence.
    =^..^=
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Huh, look at that, I'm learnin'!
    Thanks so much for the tips so far guys, very helpful stuff.
    So if I'm understanding correctly, the encryption code is one I create, once the format is complete?
    Just double checking, isn't the physical format first, then the logical? I'm just basing this on my PC experience, not doubting you...