Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts
    Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

Re: Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

On the PC just remove all partitions and create a new one. Don't format it or assign a drive letter.
    When it's installed on the copier after the messages\errors just go into admin mode and select format. Takes maybe 5 min.
    Reboot, load movie data and that should be it.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Max's Avatar

Yes. Plug it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
    So does that mean I should plug it back in?
    Otherwise, it seems like it may not know when to boot to Firmware update mode...?

All good points, never thought about it that way!
    I found an old Samsung 640GB spinny drive in my parts bin. Should I do any pre-formatting or anything in Windows before I try it in the copier, or will it take care of all that for me?

Also, I'd really like to update the firmware before I do much else on the machine. Does anyone have the latest for this machine? I'd really appreciate it. Pretty please?
    EDIT: Scratch that, someone was kind enough to PM me the FW, gracias!

Step aside, noob 1,000+ Posts EarthKmTech's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    When you partition a spinning drive there are areas of the physical platters that can be divided for sunsequent partitions whereas an ssd is just a bunch of ram chips in series. It's stupid because there is no physical area to reserve plus copiers can't run TRIM which is detrimental to the SSD health.
    Ever try to partition a flash drive? Natively through an OS without some tricky software?
    An SSD is just a usb stick on steroids.

Again if someone else here has been successfully installing one in a copier please speak up.
    I had a c253 with an 2.5" ide to mSata ssd adapter and 64gb ssd the machine formatted it and used it perfectly fine.

I now have a bh36 and a c284(e upgrade fw) have tried a 240gb sata ssd in the b36 no problem but have not tried in the c284. I dont have that ssd anymore to test it either but dont see why it wont work. I use them in computers all the time.

Of course TRIM wont be supported on the mfp and eventually the ssd will become as slow as a p.o.s. mechanical drive with heavy use but it is what it is.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Sweet, thanks Synth!
    I was gonna try to drop in this old Samsung 640GB drive I found in my parts box, but I think there may be something amiss with it.
    When I hook it up to my PC with my little forensic box thing (just a USB bridge really), it locks up the Windows disk management console and won't let me access the drive to format it or anything.
    The drive itself sounds fine, no unhappy spindle sounds or anything, but something about it isn't playing nice.
    I may still try to drop it in the Bizhub and see if it can throw some linux-fu on it, but it looks like I may have to actually *gasp* buy a new drive for $20.
    I don't mind the cost, but I hate being down for several more days while I wait for Amazon... grrrr.... The impatience gene is in full effect, can you tell?

Also, I just can't figure out what's up with the firmware thing.
    I have the files copied to a flash drive. Two, actually. I've tried both a 1GB and 2GB drive. Both are USB2.0, both are FAT32 formatted.
    I've plugged the purple sensor cable back into the board on the copier.
    When I plug in either drive and power on the copier, one of 2 things happens:
    1) It boots as normal, ignoring the flash drive completely
    2) It sits at a black screen for a while (couple minutes), with the activity light on the flash drive blinking erratically, then eventually boots to the normal main screen

Never do I see anything about a Firmware update, as shown in the SM.
    What am I doing wrong?

for the FW, after you extract, open the folders until you see the list in the pic.
    hit ctl+a and copy to the root of the flash drive.

movie data just the .tar goes on the drive as is do not extract.

posting this for others too, not just you
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Yep, that's exactly what I did, no dice.

can you try with and without the purple wire unplugged?
    if the sensor does not tell the machine to boot from the stick it may be why it does not take.
    there are 2 types of photosensors, always on and always off (signaling blocked/unblocked)
    in this case when the sensor is blocked it wont try to boot from there so by unplugging it you have a 50/50 shot of the copier initiating boot from usb.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    can you try with and without the purple wire unplugged?
    Sorry, forgot to include that I've tried it both with and without the cable plugged in, no difference.

well as a last resort you can try just initializing the whole damn enchilada.
    service mode, system 2, initialize, system data clear (the top left one)
    after reset, make sure HDD is set to "installed" if its at "not set" hit installed. dont be alarmed it takes up to 30 seconds for the selection to switch to installed.
    reboot, LOGICAL format HDD
    then try firmware again.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Eureka!
    I've successfully updated the firmware, thanks to Sythohol's excellent instructions on how to get my dang USB drive to play nice with the copier.

Now that's it's updated, the SM says I have a few additional things to do, but it doesn't really say how....

• Perform the following steps after the firmware has been upgraded from function version 6 to function version 7.
    1. Using [Service Mode] -> [System 2] -> [Install Data], upgrade the version of movie data and voice data. Once I get my HDD formatting issues sorted out, I'm assuming this will be fairly straightforward
    2. When the function version is upgraded from version 6 to 7, use [Service Mode] -> [System 2] -> [[Software Switch Setting]] and set the function version change. I think I found this in the SM. I'll ask again if I can't get it fixed.
    3. Turn OFF and ON the main power switch and sub-power switch.
    4. Upgrade the printer driver version. Is this referring to driver's on the PC (client) side, or something in the copier itself?

And that takes me to my next problem....
    The hard drive is physically installed. I got an error code that basically meant it wasn't formatted. I went into the menu, and it prompted me to format, which I did.
    However, now I'm getting a C-D010, which according to the SM, means the HDD still isn't formatted, but in a different way? It refers me to the formatting process, which I'm attempting to do per previous advice (logical format first), but it's stuck at 0% progress, and has been for about 15mins now. The touch panel is unresponsive. My only options are to wait or hard power off.
    What should I do, and did I go obviously wrong somewhere?

EDIT:
    Ok, I'm slowly sorting things out here. I've learned (I think) that regardless of the size of the drive, the copier is only going to partition and use 250GB. At least that seems to be what mine did. I got into a status screen that showed a formatted HDD size of about 250GB (minus overhead). It still was throwing the error, so I thought I'd start over.
    I pulled the drive and connected it to my PC via my USB cradle. In Windows Disk Management, I deleted all 12 () partitions, then just left it unallocated this time.
    I reinstalled it in the Konica, and did a logical format from Service Mode, which completed in maybe 15secs. It's not running a physical format, which seems like it's gonna take a while, but at least it's working, or seems to be anyway. The numbers are increasing, which I consider progress. It doesn't take much to impress me.
    I'll let it run overnight and see how things stand in the AM.
    Last edited by Elmojo; 10-07-2020 at 04:17 AM. Reason: updates, bro!