Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

Question Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

Hi all,
    In an effort not to cause even MORE confusion, I'm starting a new thread for my Bizhub 364e.
    In case you missed the fun in the other thread, what I thought was a c364e...was not. Totally my fault. Doh.

Anyway, the good news is that I appear to have a fully functional (monochrome!) copier in excellent condition.
    It needs a hard drive (or SSD), since the previous owner pulled it due to privacy concerns.
    The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive originally, but the experts here say it was more likely a 320GB drive.
    Looking online, either of those are tough to find these days.
    What should I get?
    Can I get something like this cheap 360GB SSD, or is that asking for trouble?
    Is there a better option? If so, please point me in the right direction.
    I can't see the benefit of a large drive really, since I have no desire to store large files on the drive. Everything I scan will be transferred directly to my server.
    Or am I (as usual) missing something?

Also, I need the latest firmware for this machine, if anyone would be kind enough to share.
    In particular, I'd love to have Airprint ability, and anything else that has been added along the way.
    I'm a little bummed about losing the ability to print color, even though I never really had it, so any bells and whistles I can scrounge back would sooth my bruised ego.

I'd also really like to have the correct service manual, and any other bulletins or docs that you think would be helpful to me.
    I know I'm supposed to ask for SMs in the specific thread, but I can't since I haven't been registered long enough. Sorry about that. Hopefully I won't get myself banned for breaching the rules.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: Bizhub 364e HDD/SDD replacement

problem is that the HDD is filled with several partitions, an SSD is just ram chips and are difficult to partition.
    if anyone here has used an SSD in a bizhub, please comment, i've been hesitant to try.
    also, the monochrome did use 250s.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elmojo View Post
    Hi all,
    In an effort not to cause even MORE confusion, I'm starting a new thread for my Bizhub 364e.
    In case you missed the fun in the other thread, what I thought was a c364e...was not. Totally my fault. Doh.

Anyway, the good news is that I appear to have a fully functional (monochrome!) copier in excellent condition.
    It needs a hard drive (or SSD), since the previous owner pulled it due to privacy concerns.
    The spec sheet says it had a 250GB drive originally, but the experts here say it was more likely a 320GB drive.
    Looking online, either of those are tough to find these days.
    What should I get?
    Can I get something like this cheap 360GB SSD, or is that asking for trouble?
    Is there a better option? If so, please point me in the right direction.
    I can't see the benefit of a large drive really, since I have no desire to store large files on the drive. Everything I scan will be transferred directly to my server.
    Or am I (as usual) missing something?

Also, I need the latest firmware for this machine, if anyone would be kind enough to share.
    In particular, I'd love to have Airprint ability, and anything else that has been added along the way.
    I'm a little bummed about losing the ability to print color, even though I never really had it, so any bells and whistles I can scrounge back would sooth my bruised ego.

I'd also really like to have the correct service manual, and any other bulletins or docs that you think would be helpful to me.
    I know I'm supposed to ask for SMs in the specific thread, but I can't since I haven't been registered long enough. Sorry about that. Hopefully I won't get myself banned for breaching the rules.
    I have both 250gb & 320gb pulled from working Bizhubs. Maybe the color models use the bigger 320gb because that is all I've seen in the 4 series. I believe 250gb I have came from older B&W models like the Biz 223, etc

PM me if you end up needing one of these.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    problem is that the HDD is filled with several partitions, an SSD is just ram chips and are difficult to partition.
    Difficult for the copier to partition, you mean?
    I've used SSDs in computers for years, even in Linux-based installs, and have never had any issues. Some of them have multiple partitions. I've never heard of an SSD not being able to support any of the same partitioning schemes as a regular mechanical hard drive. I wonder if that's something specific to the controller on the MFP board, and the way it handles the file tables or something?

Regardless, I want to get whatever will work best for this machine without spending a fortune, since I already have more in this machine than I'm comfortable with.
    If I get a regular laptop-style mechanical hard drive, is there any problem with going larger than the original 250/320GB size? Is there a limit that it can handle?
    The reason I'm asking is that oddly, some of the larger drives (~500GB) are actually cheaper than the smaller ones, since they are still in the 'usable' range for PCs.
    Also, is there any particular brand that these copiers tend to like or dislike? I know Dell laptops hate Fujitsu drives, for example. Anything like that?

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

One other thing I noticed; just above the hard drive caddy, there's a small purple cable. It appears to have been unplugged (see attached image).
    Should I reconnect it, or leave it alone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts Max's Avatar

Its only for the shutter slider to cover service usb .Not 100% but I think that's how the copier knows to boot up from USB when doing F/W upgrade

^^^^^^^yes^^^^^^^^

When you partition a spinning drive there are areas of the physical platters that can be divided for sunsequent partitions whereas an ssd is just a bunch of ram chips in series. It's stupid because there is no physical area to reserve plus copiers can't run TRIM which is detrimental to the SSD health.
    Ever try to partition a flash drive? Natively through an OS without some tricky software?
    An SSD is just a usb stick on steroids.

Again if someone else here has been successfully installing one in a copier please speak up.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

It looks like a SSD drive will accept the physical connectors..Have you just tried throwing it in there, electronically installing the drive then formatting it through service mode? E

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Its only for the shutter slider to cover service usb .Not 100% but I think that's how the copier knows to boot up from USB when doing F/W upgrade
    ^^^^^^^yes^^^^^^^^
    So does that mean I should plug it back in? Otherwise, it seems like it may not know when to boot to Firmware update mode...?

When you partition a spinning drive there are areas of the physical platters that can be divided for sunsequent partitions whereas an ssd is just a bunch of ram chips in series. It's stupid because there is no physical area to reserve plus copiers can't run TRIM which is detrimental to the SSD health.
    Ever try to partition a flash drive? Natively through an OS without some tricky software?
    An SSD is just a usb stick on steroids.

Again if someone else here has been successfully installing one in a copier please speak up.
    Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    It looks like a SSD drive will accept the physical connectors..Have you just tried throwing it in there, electronically installing the drive then formatting it through service mode? E
    All good points, never thought about it that way!
    I found an old Samsung 640GB spinny drive in my parts bin. Should I do any pre-formatting or anything in Windows before I try it in the copier, or will it take care of all that for me?

Also, I'd really like to update the firmware before I do much else on the machine. Does anyone have the latest for this machine? I'd really appreciate it. Pretty please?
    EDIT: Scratch that, someone was kind enough to PM me the FW, gracias!
    Last edited by Elmojo; 10-06-2020 at 06:49 PM.