Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Bizhub C308 Power Supply Humming Noise - Fuser

I can understand the perceived safety in a company withholding technical info, but I'm not sure if that really helps the company in the long run. Good techs may actually help the company figure out issues in the field and improve the product. Some of the best and most revered product lines have extensive support data out there. When the product is a decade old with no data or knowledge base, no one wants to take the risk so the product fizzles. Maybe that's the goal. But, for companies touting "eco friendly" and marketing such innovative features, it seems a counterproductive to be so remove/replace centered. They could make just as much selling OEM replacement parts for decades and providing schematics. Sorry to get on my soap box. I'll leave you with a video that explains my frustration.

The right to repair movement - YouTube

The manual contains schematics point to point wiring. Konica Minolta does not publish the diagrams thru there channels. Been repairing boards here and there. Been struggling with the power boars the control boards are much easier for me. If you know the diagnostics code it had on it you have a solid place to start looking. Kinda like the way the buzzing sounds.

Yea the electronics on these machines are top of the range stuff. Been amazed at how some of these machines go for 20 years plus of service.
    I like tinkering with electronics by no means an engineer. Built a CNC plotter from printer parts that scribes off blue dykem 5 microns a pass. Used that to make motor driver PCB's with the driver chips from a copier for the NEMA 17 motors found in a document feeder. Fun stuff. Some PSU are easy to switch on only need a constant load from startup so just add a power resistor of the correct value.

So what is the plan hot glue? Silicone?
    Whatever

Allan, I've heard chokes make noises like this before and I usually start with a rubber band around it to see if it changes. Then hot glue is my go-to. I tried a rubber band with no difference. I ran out of time so I'll have to come back around to it later. I'll try gluing it, but it may eventually just get replaced (the inductor that is). The problem is I think it's part of a tank circuit which means the inductance value needs to be spot on to work right. It would be easier to just have a part number or value. I'll look closer. Here's the inductor I'm after.

20201127_194400_a (Large).jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Bizhub C308 Power Supply Humming Noise - Fuser

Please let us know of your progress. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by engr View Post
    Allan, I've heard chokes make noises like this before and I usually start with a rubber band around it to see if it changes. Then hot glue is my go-to. I tried a rubber band with no difference. I ran out of time so I'll have to come back around to it later. I'll try gluing it, but it may eventually just get replaced (the inductor that is). The problem is I think it's part of a tank circuit which means the inductance value needs to be spot on to work right. It would be easier to just have a part number or value. I'll look closer. Here's the inductor I'm after.

20201127_194400_a (Large).jpg
    Engr and all folks, good afternoon.I'm sorry for the English, because I'm Brazilian.

I also love electronics and I found the comments on this topic sensational.

I managed to cause a hum in the power supply, replacing only the drum in the unit, for a drum in line 4.
    Internally I don't know the difference because I don't have one from line 8 to open. But when I remove the drum from line 4 and return with the drum from line 8, the buzz at the source simply disappears.
    Nothing like day after day

Tulintron, that's interesting. I'm not sure what line 4 and 8 are, but it's interesting that the drum can affect the power supply noise.

Do you guys know what the resistance across the fuser heating element should be? When I first checked it, I thought it was incredibly low, but after disassembling, I don't find anything that looks out of whack. One element was about 2.5 ohm, the other was maybe 1.5 ohm. That's a lot of current!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tulintron View Post
    Engr and all folks, good afternoon.I'm sorry for the English, because I'm Brazilian.

I also love electronics and I found the comments on this topic sensational.

I managed to cause a hum in the power supply, replacing only the drum in the unit, for a drum in line 4.
    Internally I don't know the difference because I don't have one from line 8 to open. But when I remove the drum from line 4 and return with the drum from line 8, the buzz at the source simply disappears.
    tulintron very interesting but as usual I expect that from you.
    You mean you only swapped cylinders and that cures humming?
    Take care buddy.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Would guess it makes use of active power factor correction?
    Whatever

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    tulintron very interesting but as usual I expect that from you.
    You mean you only swapped cylinders and that cures humming?
    Take care buddy.
    Yes, Tsb. As you know, we always do internal tests in our laboratory. In view of the tests, we noticed that if a drum of line 4 is mounted in a unit of line 8, the power supply has a humming noise. When I return the correct drum, the buzzing disappears.

Engr, I'll try to be brief, but the lines I referred to the models:

Line 4 - C224, C284, C364
    Line e - C224e, C284e, C364e
    Line 8 - C258, C308, C368

Detail:
    In my case, the noise only appears when the printer goes into a print job. But the noise is exactly at the power supply
    Nothing like day after day

By drum do you mean fuser roller?
    Whatever