Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Technician

Can't start firmware update in c258

Hello and happy new year! I try to update the firmware on my develop ineo+ 258 (that is, bizhub c258 with other name) but I can't.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here or the machine hate me and my USB sticks?

I have the firmware on a USB 2.0 drive, tried the files on the root and the folder FW0002. I close the machine, get the flash drive on the USB (on the front or the rear the result is the same, and no hidden "special" USB for my machine) keep the stop pressed and open the machine.
    Now if I have the files on the root of the USB it boot up normally and show me a window "this functionality is not available". If I have them on the folder it get stack on the screen with the upper right black dot (I left it there for more than half an hour and nothing changed).

Now I have read in other threads here that those machines don't really like modern USB drives so I have tried with a 16GB, 2x 8GB and even I went out to get a 4GB new one and try again but I can't find smaller ones on the market those days. All of them had the same results. I even tried to make one of them look like 1GB one by creating a smaller volume through disk management but still the same results. Formatting with windows or rufus didn't made any different either.

Even tried the USBs on the back, but as I said there is no special one, the only one that look special is the one that have the extension to the front panel on it.

Any idea what I do wrong? I also tried this crazy thing I read in a thread for 308 machine to leave the front door open while opening to boot from the USB but this didn't worked either.

Thanks in advance.

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Re: Can't start firmware update in c258

Quote Originally Posted by nitro912gr View Post
    Hello and happy new year! I try to update the firmware on my develop ineo+ 258 (that is, bizhub c258 with other name) but I can't.

Maybe there is something I'm missing here or the machine hate me and my USB sticks?

I have the firmware on a USB 2.0 drive, tried the files on the root and the folder FW0002. I close the machine, get the flash drive on the USB (on the front or the rear the result is the same, and no hidden "special" USB for my machine) keep the stop pressed and open the machine.
    Now if I have the files on the root of the USB it boot up normally and show me a window "this functionality is not available". If I have them on the folder it get stack on the screen with the upper right black dot (I left it there for more than half an hour and nothing changed).

Now I have read in other threads here that those machines don't really like modern USB drives so I have tried with a 16GB, 2x 8GB and even I went out to get a 4GB new one and try again but I can't find smaller ones on the market those days. All of them had the same results. I even tried to make one of them look like 1GB one by creating a smaller volume through disk management but still the same results. Formatting with windows or rufus didn't made any different either.

Even tried the USBs on the back, but as I said there is no special one, the only one that look special is the one that have the extension to the front panel on it.

Any idea what I do wrong? I also tried this crazy thing I read in a thread for 308 machine to leave the front door open while opening to boot from the USB but this didn't worked either.

Thanks in advance.

is the usb formatted in FAT32?

Technician

oh yeah forgot to mention, yeah formatted to FAT32, at some time I also tried one at just FAT but the same results occurred. Tried formatting through windows, through disk management and through rufus, same results.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

oh yeah forgot to mention, yeah formatted to FAT32, at some time I also tried one at just FAT but the same results occurred. Tried formatting through windows, through disk management and through rufus, same results.
    I have always formatted my USB pen drives in Windows & never at an issue before. Others will tell you this is wrong & you should use a 3rd party format software tool.

In my experience try a few different USB brands, or simply restart the machine & try the process again, occasionally they don't accept the update first time.

Another user suggested using the USB on the rear of the machine where the control panel USB lead goes to.

Also unplug the LAN cable it could be doing activity in the background.

C258 C368 C458 Firmware Readme GC3-X4.pdf
    Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

The problem is almost undoubtedly the USB stick. When you start an update, after the black dot in the top right comes out, the firmware starts after 2-3 minutes.

If not, the printer should boot normally and ignore the update. But you say that the printer does not remove the screen. So this most likely confirms a problem with the USB stick. The 2gb sticks found in chips are more functional than branded ones. Then switch USB to the oldest you can find.

I have found an infallible one but that if I lose, it will make me very sorry.
    If USB is not the problem, unplug options (finisher, fax, etc.)

Technician

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I have even went to my mothers house to dig in my old room, but I'm so far out of luck for smaller USB sticks. I will keep looking.

I tried the rear USB but same results, I will try with the LAN unplugged to see if this may work.

Thanks everyone for the answers.

I have even went to my mothers house to dig in my old room, but I'm so far out of luck for smaller USB sticks. I will keep looking.

I tried the rear USB but same results, I will try with the LAN unplugged to see if this may work.
    sounds like this job is a little out of your paygrade for an end user

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Try it leaving front door open.
    Also you need only FW0002 folder no other files on your USB.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Technician

oh my god it worked with unplugging the LAN... it is updating now.
    Honestly this is crazy, not as crazy as leaving the front panel open but ok...

But why does anyone have to try this level of alchemy?
    This really traveled me back in windows XP era and all the crazy things that surrounded this OS.
    I expected those machines to be more modern and forgiving software wise.

oh my god it worked with unplugging the LAN... it is updating now.
    Honestly this is crazy, not as crazy as leaving the front panel open but ok...

But why does anyone have to try this level of alchemy?
    This really traveled me back in windows XP era and all the crazy things that surrounded this OS.
    I expected those machines to be more modern and forgiving software wise.
    you should NEVER try to update firmware with Net cable plugged in.

there are a few that you do have to leave the front door open for it to update.

true techs know this. they do this to keep end users from fucking up their machines