Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Got from Chinaman.......

Re: Got from Chinaman.......

The fact you stated the machine 'made a stench of overheated plastic' would ring alarm bells with me.
    Yes but the stench came from those rotten Chinese AliBaba thermistors. I think they used a not heat-resistant kind of plastic. Probably the kind of plastic they use otherwise for their pisspots.....

Konica Minolta didn't design these fusers to be rebuilt after 600k it owes you nothing, personally I would replace the fuser with a new one & get another 600k trouble free printing.
    Well, I replaced everything. The only thing left of those "fine KonicaMinolta designed fusers" was a frame, a few lamps and heat resistant wiring. Connectors where as new. Do not see how that could pose a danger.....

But I do understand some techs are working in poverty so have to do what they can.
    Trying not to take that "poverty" too personal.

YES! I am an Indy and am proud of it that we Indies have to fight from time to time to keep up and are able to do. And I am proud of it that we are able to survive without constantly slamming new parts into machines. Good I am not a Green-Party member, otherwise I would find for sure some arguments about waste of resources and environment too......

Hoping not to sound arrogant, but rebuilding a fuser unit need a little more than only removing two screws and four connectors as with installing a factory new unit.

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 01-24-2021 at 05:48 PM.
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Got from Chinaman.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Yes but the stench came from those rotten Chinese AliBaba thermistors. I think they used a not heat-resistant kind of plastic. Probably the kind of plastic they use otherwise for their pisspots.....

Well, I replaced everything. The only thing left of those "fine KonicaMinolta designed fusers" was a frame, a few lamps and heat resistant wiring. Connectors where as new. Do not see how that could pose a danger.....

Trying not to take that "poverty" to personal.

YES! I am an Indy and am proud of it that we Indies have to fight from time to time to keep up and are able to do. And I am proud of it that we are able to survive without constantly slamming new parts into machines. Good I am not a Green-Party member, otherwise I would find for sure some arguments about waste of resources and environment too......

Hoping not to sound arrogant, but rebuilding a fuser unit need a little more than only removing two screws and four connectors as with installing a factory new unit.

Hans
    The more senior techs on here have probably rebuilt more fusers than they can count. I don't think you're gonna impress them with your ability to rebuild one. I think what copier tech is saying is that you're playing with fire - literally. You're using a thermistor that most likely hasn't passed any kind of safety tests and you're kinda playing Russian Roulette. If the copier were sitting in the middle of your home, that's one thing. But you're potentially putting your customer at risk. But it's your call. I wish you the best.

PS - Have you ever seen a fuser that has melted down? I have. It's quite a site to behold.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Got from Chinaman.......

I don't think you're gonna impress them with your ability to rebuild one.
    Well sorry you got that wrong. I never felt the need to impress one. It was not intended to "impress" one here but to help colleague Indies and share what experience I had with junk from AliBaba and warn them about it.

That was the one and sole purpose I had.

I didn't start the thread with "Guys look what I did and how bright I am"
    My only and honest intention was to warn everybody here for certain Chinese suppliers.

English is not my mother tongue, perhaps things are perceived not the way I intended.
    Since the reactions on my thread become more and more hostile, I will refrain from any further comment on this.

Very sorry to see that the once collegial attitude in this great site deteriorated that much...........

Hans
    Last edited by Hansoon; 01-24-2021 at 02:33 PM.
    " Sent from my Intel 80286 using MS-DOS 2.0 "

Got from Chinaman.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hansoon View Post
    Well sorry you got that wrong. I never felt the need to impress one. It was not intended to "impress" one here but to help colleague Indies and share what experience I had with junk from AliBaba and warn them about it.

That was the one and sole purpose I had.

I didn't start the thread with "Guys look what I did and how bright I am"
    My only and honest intention was to warn everybody here for certain Chinese suppliers.

English is not my mother tongue, perhaps things are perceived not the way I intended.
    Since the reactions on my thread become more and more hostile, I will refer from any further comment on this.

Very sorry to see that the once collegial attitude in this great site deteriorated that much...........

Hans

Hans,

I sincerely apologize if I misread what you said. This is the part I was referring to.

"Hoping not to sound arrogant, but rebuilding a fuser unit need a little more than only removing two screws and four connectors as with installing a factory new unit."

To me, it sounded a bit arrogant. But my apologies if that wasn't your intent. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by copier tech View Post
    Wow this would be serious breach of health & safely here in the UK, you can smell burning on a fuser that has done 600k after replacing parts from an unknown source.

Don't EVER leave that machine on unattended

There are multiple ways these machines can detect over and under temp. The only one relating to real robust safety would be the thermal fuses. Then if you install the wrong kind of NTC it would be the same as having a fuser issue and the machine will code out of pop the fuse. Try and set ABS-FR alight. Its his own office machine so can't see the issue for him to try and safe some money.

Its a real shame how much waste these machines can generate. Dev units, drum units, fusers, transfer belts, waste boxes, empty toner bottles, rollers and then eventually the machine itself will find itself to a landfill. Anything that can be rebuilt helps.
    Last edited by allan; 01-24-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    Whatever

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Got from Chinaman.......

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    There are multiple ways these machines can detect over and under temp. The only one relating to real robust safety would be the thermal fuses. Then if you install the wrong kind of NTC it would be the same as having a fuser issue and the machine will code out of pop the fuse. Try and set ABS-FR alight. Its his own office machine so can't see the issue for him to try and safe some money.

Its a real shame how much waste these machines can generate. Dev units, drum units, fusers, transfer belts, waste boxes, empty toner bottles, rollers and then eventually the machine itself will find itself to a landfill. Anything that ca be rebuilt helps.
    So many factors come into play.

Old wires that have now overheated, they can catch fire. Or they can short causing a fire anywhere on the mains circuit.

Simple wire shorts have brought down multi million pound aircraft.

Let us eat, drink, and be merry, because tomorrow we may die!

For all your firmware & service manual needs please visit us at:

www.copierfirmware.co.uk - www.printerfirmware.co.uk

Got from Chinaman.......

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post

Its a real shame how much waste these machines can generate. Dev units, drum units, fusers, transfer belts, waste boxes, empty toner bottles, rollers and then eventually the machine itself will find itself to a landfill. Anything that ca be rebuilt helps.
    You are correct...there's always some kind of fail/safe component (thermal fuse/breaker) associated with the fuser circuitry. But they don't always work. I've seen fusers meltdown before. I'm sure we all have. I will admit it's probably less likely with the newer machines.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyCarpenter View Post
    You are correct...there's always some kind of fail/safe component (thermal fuse/breaker) associated with the fuser circuitry. But they don't always work. I've seen fusers meltdown before. I'm sure we all have. I will admit it's probably less likely with the newer machines.

Remember there was a model of Oce machine that was known for catching on fire. Never had a KM fuser melt on me only things like the pressure roller fusing to the upper. The only machine i know of that did over heat was a Ricoh that caused the thermostat fuse to trip. Then the old trick was to take it out and throw it on a hard floor to let the bi-metal dome pop back out.

Now i have found some techs bridging the fuse with a paperclip. Now that is looking for trouble.
    Whatever

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Got from Chinaman.......

I looks like time for me to weigh in:

I entirely trust the safety features of the thermostats. If the fuser survived the first 60 seconds after full warmup, and the image fuses, I'm good with it.

It's not like Hans took the thermistor from a coffee maker and mounted it in a copier ... it's a slightly different incarnation of exactly the same part with same purpose and the same specifications.

Furthermore, Hans is just proud of his ingenuity, like I would be if I was as intelligent as he is.
    Congratulations Hans! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Got from Chinaman.......

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    I looks like time for me to weigh in:

I entirely trust the safety features of the thermostats. If the fuser survived the first 60 seconds after full warmup, and the image fuses, I'm good with it.

It's not like Hans took the thermistor from a coffee maker and mounted it in a copier ... it's a slightly different incarnation of exactly the same part with same purpose and the same specifications.

Furthermore, Hans is just proud of his ingenuity, like I would be if I was as intelligent as he is.
    Congratulations Hans! =^..^=

I don't know about all of that. I've bought cheap crap from China that worked well for several months and then shit the bed. I used to work on TV's and I used a HOT (Horizontal Output Transistor) and it worked great for a while. Then it shorted and ruined the TV.

EDIT: Let me be clear, I'm not against Hans rebuilding anything. I'm all for it. What I'm concerned about is using a thermistor from China that he knows nothing about and China doesn't exactly have a strict safety code for electrical parts or anything else. It's a gamble, IMHO.
    Last edited by BillyCarpenter; 01-24-2021 at 03:49 PM.