Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    LU-202: Replacing the Lift Wires

Hello,

I just finished repairing the LU-202 that came with our machine. It was broken when we got it, and I thought by sharing my experience repairing it hopefully you can avoid the mistakes I did while trying to get everything working.

First of all, I am not a technician, I just maintain my machines following the manual and by sometimes consulting the experts on this forum. With that out of the way:

When I first opened the unit up, it looked like a bomb had gone off; All of the wires were unusable in some way; some had broken while others had their plastic lining roughened up or peeled off. While most of the pulleys and structural elements of the lift plate were bent or otherwise deformed. I have no idea what the previous owners did to the unit, but it looked like the KM tech maintaining the machine had bend some things back into place (evident by the grip marks made by a pair of pliers) but obviously that didn't hold.

As it turned out, you can't bend them back into place. Almost all the parts in this unit are made from some soft aluminum alloy. I replaced all of the bent pulley shafts, but didn't replace the front bar on the lift plate that the two front pulleys attach onto. This was a mistake, as it easily bent back into its original deformed shape, after me making a mistake while putting the lift wires in their correct positions.

Honestly, if a unit with a problem like mine comes your way, replace everything that has been damaged or deformed in any way. It is not worth the risk. The whole lift mechanism is flimsy and very difficult to repair. It took me 2-3 hours on the 2nd try to disassemble and reassemble everything. I don't know why KM went with this design instead of using something more solid like e.g. leadscrews with a timing belt.

I had a hard time understanding the manual on this one, so here is a quick summary of what you need to do. This is not meant to substitute the instructions provided by the manual, it's just to (hopefully) make your life a bit easier understanding it.

• Start by doing one side first, it can be either the drive or the operator side. Install the lift wires from the one sitting most inner to the axle to the one sitting most outer to the axle. On the final one, do not try to pass the wire from all its pulleys and then trying to attach the spring to the body of the unit. Instead, leave the wire off the 2nd to last pulley, install the spring, and then attach the wire to that pulley.
    • Repeat roughly the same procedure for the other side.
    Test if everything works! It is very easy to get something wrong, trust me! Using something like a small Allen wrench, rotate the drive shaft, while having another person on the other side tell you if everything works as it should. Be very careful. If one of the tension springs start to deform (it shouldn't), stop immediately and check, most likely you have wound a wire the wrong way. Lift the plate fully up and fully down a couple of times to make sure it works reliably.
    • Re install the gear box bearing in mind that you have to align the big central black gear with the positioning sensors before putting on the last gear.

Finally, using a spirit level, push the feed mechanism down and jig the door so the lift plate lifts to the upmost position and perform the paper lift horizontal adjustment so the unit feeds paper reliably. Mine worked reliably after performing this adjustment.

I am also attaching pictures of the unit with the wires in their correct positions, since the pictures found on the manual weren't very helpful for me. Hopefully you find this useful.

IMG_20210224_104740-min.jpgIMG_20210224_104751-min.jpgIMG_20210224_104757 - Copy-min.jpgIMG_20210224_104803 - Copy-min.jpgIMG_20210224_132002-min.jpg

Regards,
    Orestes.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: LU-202: Replacing the Lift Wires

This isn't an easy operation. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Congratulations on your success! =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Good job on that.
    It gets in that state because of a dirty photo interrupter sensor, the one that detects the top of the stack so that the lift plate will stop lifting. If its not working then the plate will just continue lifting until it destroys itself. Wish they included a cut off switch or a torque limiter of some sort.

I scrapped the last LU that did that.
    Whatever

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Why did you accept delivery of a faulty unit?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allan View Post
    Good job on that.
    It gets in that state because of a dirty photo interrupter sensor, the one that detects the top of the stack so that the lift plate will stop lifting. If its not working then the plate will just continue lifting until it destroys itself. Wish they included a cut off switch or a torque limiter of some sort.

I scrapped the last LU that did that.
    I do not think that this is the case, though I could be wrong (is there a 2nd photo interrupter sensor apart from the one on the bottom on the drive side?). When I initially jiged the door, the lift plate came all the way up, and when it realized that it couldn't go any further up, the machine threw a code. Unfortunately, I didn't note down which one, but when I tried it the second time, I also held down the feed mechanism and the lifting stopped once the lift plate triggered the mechanical remaining paper sensor.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rrrohan View Post
    Why did you accept delivery of a faulty unit?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I bought the machine 2nd hand from a local listing, not from a dealer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Hello everyone,

I have so far fed a couple of thousands of sheets of both uncoated and coated stock of varying weights with great success using this unit.

However, for some reason unbeknownst to me, when I want to print duplex on 300 gsm paper (well, 2 x simplex to be precise), after printing on one side of the sheet, and reloading the paper in the LCT, it just won't feed. Not a single sheet. It happens on both uncoated and coated stock (300 gsm). I tried adjusting the feed pressure using the spring but that didn't help at all. The sheet isn't picked up by the feed roller at all.

According to the machine counter, the rollers are brand new (less than 6k). Has anyone come across this before? Anything I should try?

Thanks.

0-02-05-ca1da77e14662adfec3a1def581dfd08cf3186b5540ab98acb6e00bc626e25bb_cbff62b3.jpg

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

It's the downward curl that is preventing pickup. You'll need to find a way to reverse the curl: weight the stack overnight, manually reversing the curl, ... whatever. the media must be flat to feed.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 10,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    It's the downward curl that is preventing pickup. You'll need to find a way to reverse the curl: weight the stack overnight, manually reversing the curl, ... whatever. the media must be flat to feed.
    =^..^=

Makes perfect sense to me. Good stuff.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat4866 View Post
    =^..^=
    That's a bummer. Just out of curiosity: Why is this tray so sensitive to this while the bypass tray doesn't seem to care at all?