Senior Tech 250+ Posts progoffice's Avatar

i series color vs E series color

So I'm still fine tuning my C650i install. The customer can definitely tell the difference in the color quality, and there's actually bulletins that explain why. Basically, the color output is much lighter than the E series (and probably the 8 series). Here is the text from KBA0056335. I went ahead and changed bit 6 on switch 153 and it appeared to make a difference, I just have no idea what changes are made in the machine after making this change. Is anyone else having to tweak the color output on these new i series machines to look like the older Konica models that came before it?

Reference
    When comparing the color output from previous generation machines the bizhub i series machines
    appear lighter.
    The conventional color reproduction is directed at a primary color being clear, with the new i series
    machines the emphasis is on memory color, the new memory color is directed to produce a bright color
    reproduction.
    The following can be changed to enhance the color outputs of the i series machines.
    1. Under color settings in the Image Quality Settings can be changed
    a. Utility/Printer settings/basic settings
    b. Quality Tab in the PCL driver
    2. Change software switch 153 enable bit 6 by performing the following
    a. Select Utility/Counter
    b. Press Stop 00, Stop 01
    c. If prompted enter CE password 9272 4 times
    d. Select System 2
    e. Select Software Switch Settings

Here's another setting that might help:

Problem
    The color tone may be different than previous models when printing from the PCL driver.
    Solution
    CAUSE: Specification, due to the change with IT5 and IT6 machines, the printing method of black image
    data except Photo mode has been modified
    SOLUTION: Perform the following.
    1. Open Quality from the printer driver
    2. Click Quality adjustment
    3. Click other and set [Pure Black] to OFF
    Notes:
    1. By setting the above to OFF the machines will print in rich black (4C) with the setting set to ON the
    machine will print in pure black (K 1100%)
    2. The previous models print with 4C (rich black) which use all CMYK toners. In contrast the subjected
    current models print pure black (K 100%) to help save toner consumption.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    i series color vs E series color

Re: i series color vs E series color

Thanks for sharing. I haven't had to work on very many of these yet. This information will be invaluable.
    =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    So I'm still fine tuning my C650i install. The customer can definitely tell the difference in the color quality, and there's actually bulletins that explain why. Basically, the color output is much lighter than the E series (and probably the 8 series). Here is the text from KBA0056335. I went ahead and changed bit 6 on switch 153 and it appeared to make a difference, I just have no idea what changes are made in the machine after making this change. Is anyone else having to tweak the color output on these new i series machines to look like the older Konica models that came before it?

Reference
    When comparing the color output from previous generation machines the bizhub i series machines
    appear lighter.
    The conventional color reproduction is directed at a primary color being clear, with the new i series
    machines the emphasis is on memory color, the new memory color is directed to produce a bright color
    reproduction.
    The following can be changed to enhance the color outputs of the i series machines.
    1. Under color settings in the Image Quality Settings can be changed
    a. Utility/Printer settings/basic settings
    b. Quality Tab in the PCL driver
    2. Change software switch 153 enable bit 6 by performing the following
    a. Select Utility/Counter
    b. Press Stop 00, Stop 01
    c. If prompted enter CE password 9272 4 times
    d. Select System 2
    e. Select Software Switch Settings

Here's another setting that might help:

Problem
    The color tone may be different than previous models when printing from the PCL driver.
    Solution
    CAUSE: Specification, due to the change with IT5 and IT6 machines, the printing method of black image
    data except Photo mode has been modified
    SOLUTION: Perform the following.
    1. Open Quality from the printer driver
    2. Click Quality adjustment
    3. Click other and set [Pure Black] to OFF
    Notes:
    1. By setting the above to OFF the machines will print in rich black (4C) with the setting set to ON the
    machine will print in pure black (K 1100%)
    2. The previous models print with 4C (rich black) which use all CMYK toners. In contrast the subjected
    current models print pure black (K 100%) to help save toner consumption.

And don't forgett to make the gradation adjustment after change the switch! if you want see any change...

I didn't do that after making the change, but I did see a difference in the color. I will be sure to do that though the next time I'm over there. Konica was always our go to box for high end color, but it seems that they've taken a step back in the name of toner savings. The color was really washed out in comparison to the C654e that was replaced.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by progoffice View Post
    I didn't do that after making the change, but I did see a difference in the color. I will be sure to do that though the next time I'm over there. Konica was always our go to box for high end color, but it seems that they've taken a step back in the name of toner savings. The color was really washed out in comparison to the C654e that was replaced.
    Agree your opinion

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Bix's Avatar

They did it for a longer consumable life. The justification was to fit color standards.

In the Kyocera world, you can turn a setting on called EcoPrint to save on toner. The output looks horrible and washed out, something that most customers would not deem acceptable. It's almost like these come set to some kind of Eco mode and you have to hope and hunt for ways to get the machine to print color as good as the series before it. Drivers defaulting to 2-Sided, power saving modes that are so low the machine can't wake up, charge rollers that cause premature drum failure and now low image quality out of the box. It seems like it's a constant battle trying to offset all of these "Eco Friendly" changes the manufacturers keep forcing upon us.