Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician ComputerSupplyWarehouse's Avatar

Just got 15 Bizhubs and need help

Thanks for accepting me into this group!

I am a computer and electronics recycler and just acquired 15 Bizhubs (283's 284's, 363,s 364's, 368's and 552's) with no HD's. All of the units were working at the time they were removed but HD's were pulled. I am new to copiers but after a little research I was able to get into the units and figured out how to install and format the hard drives. I am picking up drives for all the units tonight and wanted to know if there any considerations for purchasing hard drives? Are there any brands that don't play well with these units. What is the smallest recommended size? Anything else I should know?

I have been flipping electronics for awhile but like I said, new to the copier business. I am looking to build relationships with other techs that may want to help with the sales of these units and I believe I will have more in the near future. The copiers listed here with pictures. Copiers – Computer Supply Warehouse

Any other advice or recommendations would be appreciated. THANKS!

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

Re: Just got 15 Bizhubs and need help

We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Is that what you recommend or what it needs? It looks like it was 160gb hdd and western digital was stock but was wondering if I used a 256gb inland would I have any issues. I know in my latitude laptops, the cheaper inland drives won't show up in a diagnostics test but will work just fine. I have a pretty good line on the Inland drives and wanted to try first.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

All of the meter are high to way too high. Each copier could require a ton of parts and they are all discontinued two generations ago. They are worth maybe $100.00 with HDD installed at most.

I could not sell these for $300.00 with these high meters, even the ones at 500k clicks. The copiers with 1M+ clicks are boat anchors.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    All of the meter are high to way too high. Each copier could require a ton of parts and they are all discontinued two generations ago. They are worth maybe $100.00 with HDD installed at most.

I could not sell these for $300.00 with these high meters, even the ones at 500k clicks. The copiers with 1M+ clicks are boat anchors.
    That's what I need to know. This is a small part of a much larger lot of office electronics and I'm pretty green.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerSupplyWarehouse View Post
    That's what I need to know. This is a small part of a much larger lot of office electronics and I'm pretty green.
    ive used western digital 500GB since i couldnt find any 320GB drives at my local stores.

just make sure you stick with mechanical drives

ive never tried a SSD but i assume since the copier was not designed for it it would either not work or it would but with TRIM support and the drive would die quickly

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts

If you are green to the business, save yourself a lot of hassle and pass on taking possession of the copiers. They are basically worthless. You might get lucky and sell one or two and then have 13 copiers taking up space in your warehouse forever. Do not be fooled that the exterior plastic covers still look nice.

If the customer wants to dispose of the copiers, say you will do so for a fee, assuming you have the trucking capabilities and take them straight to the landfill or metal recycler. Disposal of 15 copiers has a value of $1,300.00. First find out where you can dispose of them and if there are any tipping fees at the landfill.

Being green to the business you have no chance restoring these copiers to a reliable working condition.

Quote Originally Posted by SalesServiceGuy View Post
    If you are green to the business, save yourself a lot of hassle and pass on taking possession of the copiers. They are basically worthless. You might get lucky and sell one or two and then have 13 copiers taking up space in your warehouse forever. Do not be fooled that the exterior plastic covers still look nice.

If the customer wants to dispose of the copiers, say you will do so for a fee, assuming you have the trucking capabilities and take them straight to the landfill or metal recycler. Disposal of 15 copiers has a value of $1,300.00. First find out where you can dispose of them and if there are any tipping fees at the landfill.

Being green to the business you have no chance restoring these copiers to a reliable working condition.

Appreciate the honesty. Learning the copier market is a little different animal from my main products. Still need to explore all avenues and see what I can do. Thanks!

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I would possibly try to salvage the 8 and e series..These are still 100% supported by KM so you can find parts and consumables.. the 283, 363 came w/o HDD (option) so not needed. The 452 should be disposed of. We routinely have to add HDDs to old machines to send them back to the leasing company, and I can tell you we do not spend good money on new drives. any 250GB HDD will suffice as long as it was not in a Canon. (we use a strip salvage program to pull assemblies in decent shape from non leased returns). E

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

Appreciate the honesty. Learning the copier market is a little different animal from my main products. Still need to explore all avenues and see what I can do. Thanks!
    Any SATA hdd with 256 GB and above. 320GB and 500GB tested but machines uses only 256 GB of space anyway.
    Only 283 comes without HDD, but it can be installed as an option. You'll need a mounting plate, connecting plate, 3 shoulder screws, and 3 rubber bushings. Check 363 and 423; they have factory built in HDDs with all of the above.