Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Service Manager 10,000+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Re: Waste Toner Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by copyman View Post
    Most Toner & developer is not as bad as it used to be and can be thrown into trash. Mostly a wax-carbon powder. The developer is mostly iron ore with toner mixed in it.

Of course if anything can be recycled that's always the first choice.

I can think of far worse stuff people people throw into trash without thinking such as batteries, etc,etc
    And deadly drugs that poison our waters and bodies.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Most Toner & developer is not as bad as it used to be and can be thrown into trash. Mostly a wax-carbon powder. The developer is mostly iron ore with toner mixed in it.

Of course if anything can be recycled that's always the first choice.

I can think of far worse stuff people people throw into trash without thinking such as batteries, etc,etc
    It's not "bad" as in something that will harm someone's health if exposed to it, but throwing these tiny styrene acrylic particles in the household recycling bin isn't a great idea either, considering that even things like e.g. plastic yogurt cups don't even get recycled because it isn't profitable for the recycling plant operators, let alone something in the micrometer range.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by orestesp View Post
    It's not "bad" as in something that will harm someone's health if exposed to it, but throwing these tiny styrene acrylic particles in the household recycling bin isn't a great idea either, considering that even things like e.g. plastic yogurt cups don't even get recycled because it isn't profitable for the recycling plant operators, let alone something in the micrometer range.

Guess you answered your own question. Let us know where you end up recycling it because I don't know of anywhere that will take it. Ultimately it will end up in trash. Like I posted this should be least of worry on what is thrown into trash. Toner / Developer is harmless.

If you feel need to do something to help the environment go to a lake or beach and clean the trash up, etc etc

Good luck

Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Guess you answered your own question. Let us know where you end up recycling it because I don't know of anywhere that will take it. Ultimately it will end up in trash. Like I posted this should be least of worry on what is thrown into trash. Toner / Developer is harmless.

If you feel need to do something to help the environment go to a lake or beach and clean the trash up, etc etc

Good luck
    Look, I just wanted to know if there was a better alternative to what I was already doing. I emailed Konica Minolta through the page that they have for recycling these things, if they reply, I'll let you guys know what I was told.

Else I will just drop it at the laser cartridge recycling bin as I was previously doing.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

if u put it in with toner recycling all they want is the plastic so if ur a nice person and dont want to dirty up the process id empty the container yourself into a bin

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by orestesp View Post
    Look, I just wanted to know if there was a better alternative to what I was already doing. I emailed Konica Minolta through the page that they have for recycling these things, if they reply, I'll let you guys know what I was told.

Else I will just drop it at the laser cartridge recycling bin as I was previously doing.

... if you have no alternatives and you recycle waste motor oil, mix it with that. Every community has waste oil recycling facilities that will either burn the oil as fuel or use an industrial process to purify it.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

When I collect 20 kg I call a company which safely condition toners drums and other electronics.
    I have to pay them 0.5 € per kg.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    If you are konicaminolta dealer or direct you can intro your customers to the green planet program..All KM suppies (parts and consumables) can be put into a box, when box is full throw UPS label on and arrange a pickup. Cartridges go to recycling center, tech doesn't need to carry used parts around until he can find a dumpster. E
    Been doing this and not a dealer. I fully support such programs. (I used to be "legit" .. they still send me boxes). Send me your shit if you want....

There is a link for it, but emujo2 or someone will refresh me
    It is one of the best programs available....
    Last edited by Synaux; 06-09-2021 at 11:54 AM.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts
    Waste Toner Disposal

It is pretty sad that things that should be recycled don't - and its due to the cost.
    It's all about making a small amount of people money and nothing about being responsible.
    This is a sentiment that has now been ingrained and passed along so much that's hard to find good people with a more long term look at life, the Universe and everything and how we dork it all up.

Toshiba used to have a nice program but now you have to pay for it so our company stopped doing it.

The local lighting company we get florescent bulbs for our building told us to stop bringing in the dead bulbs because they just take them out back and bust them up...no wonder we have high mercury in the river fish here.

What ever happened to glass bottles for drinks and things...glass being 100% recyclable forever and you got a little $ back bringing in the empties.

I could go on...

as I recall at a place I used to work for there was a company that supplied 55Gal drums for us to fill up with used toner/dev and they would pick them up for free...seems like they were using the stuff to mix into road concrete but the mixture worked too well so they stopped because fixing pot holes and resurfacing roads is more profitable than building roads that last 30 years.

You guys find a place - let me know!
    Even our dead machines wind up mostly in the landfill as the only electronics recycling place requires us to pay to drop off stuff and the boss doesn't want to incorporate the cost of that into anything.
    *sad*

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I've read in the news that expired medicine is crushed and mixed with cement.

I'm thinking maybe waste toner can be mixed with cement too. I never try this before.