Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Print quality issue when printing pdf from thumb drive(Bizhub C458)

I've got an unusual issue so I wanted to pick some collective brains.

I installed this machine a couple of days ago. It was not brand new, but had only 3k prints on the meter. One of the users at the office wants to print some PDF files directly from a usb drive to the copier. I have enabled this feature, but the user is not happy with the print quality. I am forced to admit that not only is the color quality vastly different from when the same file is printed using a PCL driver, but additionally I noted that the margins and spacing of the images are different as well. I didn't get a chance to try it but I'm assuming that if I were to print from the web UI using the "Direct Print" feature, it would be the same. Does anyone know how the copier processes print jobs from usb? I'm not sure if any adjustments can be made to improve quality or make the margins line up with network printing. Any input would be appreciated.

Also, just to be clear, the HDD has been formatted before the machine was deployed, and gradation calibration was done as well. Copy quality on internal test pattern prints, as well as printing over the network are all looking as they should.

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts

Re: Print quality issue when printing pdf from thumb drive(Bizhub C458)

I can contribute a little:

There are no adjustments of image quality that I'm aware of. You can select paper source & finishing functions.
    And all electronic images will "Fit Image", first choice to the correct size paper, second choice to any paper size then reduced to fit appropriately.

Kyoceras typically reduce even same sized images 95%. Lexmarks, Konica Minoltas and Toshibas will print 100% to same sized paper. I haven't found a way to get the Konica Minolta presses to print from a USB stick ... but I'm assuming that it's possible.

That's what I have to offer. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

can you show a example of how bad it looks

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

The only idea I have is to try this file on different machine. Afaik You cannot change the way machine is processing print from USB.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

The Wolf 2,500+ Posts mojorolla's Avatar

UTILITY>PRINTER SETTINGS>BASIC SETTINGS scroll down to Toner Save and ensure it is off.
    This effect all printed reports, demo page, font list and any USB printing.

Failing to plan is planning to fail!!!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mojorolla View Post
    UTILITY>PRINTER SETTINGS>BASIC SETTINGS scroll down to Toner Save and ensure it is off.
    This effect all printed reports, demo page, font list and any USB printing.

6007531-CQOVPLJJ-6.jpg
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

The sample PDF I've been using for testing has some information on it that I'm not comfortable putting up on the internet for my client sake. I may be able to get a few spot images and upload them. I have tried printing via USB on a C654e as well as another C458, and I am getting the same quality and registration issues. I have also played with several of the user settings in the print settings section with no change. Toner save is not turned on. Also, whenever I tried sending the file via the "Direct Print" section of the web UI, I got the same result. This is an issue with how the copier is rendering the image vs how the print driver renders the image before sending it to the printer. I've opened a ticket with Konica support, and they have sent it to engineering. Not sure what they'll come up with but I'm assuming it will be "Sorry, that's how it is going to look if you print that way."

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

If it's a pdf I know this sounds silly but from the computer, print the pdf to a pdf printer and try printing the new saved version.
    See if it's better.
    I've had files where the pdf had too much info/layers/rewrites to it and all that got sent to the copier and it looked awful.
    Open the pdf in word if they have the converter and reprint, see if it's different.
    Gonna have to fiddle a bit to see if it's the file or the machine.
    See if print as image is an option.
    Try printing from. Foxit reader vs Adobe also.

Open the file on a PC and take a Screenshot, paste into a new jpeg and print the jpg.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Synthohol View Post
    If it's a pdf I know this sounds silly but from the computer, print the pdf to a pdf printer and try printing the new saved version.
    See if it's better.
    I've had files where the pdf had too much info/layers/rewrites to it and all that got sent to the copier and it looked awful.
    Open the pdf in word if they have the converter and reprint, see if it's different.
    Gonna have to fiddle a bit to see if it's the file or the machine.
    See if print as image is an option.
    Try printing from. Foxit reader vs Adobe also.

Open the file on a PC and take a Screenshot, paste into a new jpeg and print the jpg.

This was extremely helpful. I used the built in pdf driver that Windows 10 has. The attachment without the label is the result. It's still not perfect, but I think it will be acceptable to my user. Thanks all for the advice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I don't understand why you are not telling the customer to get the machine on the network and send the job as a regular print job..Print to file/copy to USB/ print from USB..What a waste of time and effort. E