Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Technician

C450i Colour Drums

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a black drum to replace a colour drum and if this has been reliable in the field. The C450i black drum doesn't fit but a black C250i fits ok with a couple of adjustment similar to the 8 series and there are chip available.

Re: C450i Colour Drums

I have not tested If you have a chance, try to test.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Thanks for the tip with the BK C250i drum - we use C308 BK drums but what we do is probably way more work, because you have to harvest different parts from the i-series unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Thanks for the tip with the BK C250i drum - we use C308 BK drums but what we do is probably way more work, because you have to harvest different parts from the i-series unit.
    Hello - currently need to replace the colour drums in a 450i.. can you give me more info on how to use the C308BK drums? Appreciate your help and tips.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam_engineer View Post
    Hello - currently need to replace the colour drums in a 450i.. can you give me more info on how to use the C308BK drums? Appreciate your help and tips.
    The differences between the units are mainly the rear cover + charger roller contact and the waster toner auger (differnet length) + nozzle thingy and - if I remember correctly - that "gearish" thing on the back on drum shaft plus that spacer. Chips from 8 series work, too. You can either harvest a C308 drum in order to refurb a i series unit (the quicker way) or strip the necessary part from the old i series drum and refurb the C308 drum and make it fit (the more thorough way). Whatever you decide, it is more work compared to COL->BK mod for the 8 series. I think the price gap between the 8 BK drum and i series BK drums do justify the effort.

Depending on the routine the time amount might be 10-30min/unit

Best thing is to mess around with some used units from the "bin department" in your shop first...

Technician

Thanks for the info Gift

I've just refurbed a C308k drum with parts taken from a used C250i colour drum which I need to fit to a C450i machine. Swapped the rear cover, charge contact, drum gear and front section, also snapper off the plastic stopper on the right hand side and fitted a new colour chip for the 8 series.

I've done this before but never had to fit to a C450i and noticed the part numbers for 450i / 250i drums are different. Do you know if this should work or if I'll need to swap the waste toner auger & nozzle you mentioned? Don't have any 450i drums in the office to play about with unfortunately!

Thanks

Technician

Hi where did you get the drum chips from ?
    uk based and we need these chips.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

I havent had luck with swapping i-series drums. They always seem to background.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splblazer91 View Post
    I havent had luck with swapping i-series drums. They always seem to background.
    Please specify what you mean by swapping?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tsbservice View Post
    Please specify what you mean by swapping?
    Replacing an i series color drum with an i series black drum or vice versa.