Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Technician

C450i Colour Drums

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has tried using a black drum to replace a colour drum and if this has been reliable in the field. The C450i black drum doesn't fit but a black C250i fits ok with a couple of adjustment similar to the 8 series and there are chip available.

Re: C450i Colour Drums

I have not tested If you have a chance, try to test.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Thanks for the tip with the BK C250i drum - we use C308 BK drums but what we do is probably way more work, because you have to harvest different parts from the i-series unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gift View Post
    Thanks for the tip with the BK C250i drum - we use C308 BK drums but what we do is probably way more work, because you have to harvest different parts from the i-series unit.
    Hello - currently need to replace the colour drums in a 450i.. can you give me more info on how to use the C308BK drums? Appreciate your help and tips.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts Gift's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sam_engineer View Post
    Hello - currently need to replace the colour drums in a 450i.. can you give me more info on how to use the C308BK drums? Appreciate your help and tips.
    The differences between the units are mainly the rear cover + charger roller contact and the waster toner auger (differnet length) + nozzle thingy and - if I remember correctly - that "gearish" thing on the back on drum shaft plus that spacer. Chips from 8 series work, too. You can either harvest a C308 drum in order to refurb a i series unit (the quicker way) or strip the necessary part from the old i series drum and refurb the C308 drum and make it fit (the more thorough way). Whatever you decide, it is more work compared to COL->BK mod for the 8 series. I think the price gap between the 8 BK drum and i series BK drums do justify the effort.

Depending on the routine the time amount might be 10-30min/unit

Best thing is to mess around with some used units from the "bin department" in your shop first...

Technician

Thanks for the info Gift

I've just refurbed a C308k drum with parts taken from a used C250i colour drum which I need to fit to a C450i machine. Swapped the rear cover, charge contact, drum gear and front section, also snapper off the plastic stopper on the right hand side and fitted a new colour chip for the 8 series.

I've done this before but never had to fit to a C450i and noticed the part numbers for 450i / 250i drums are different. Do you know if this should work or if I'll need to swap the waste toner auger & nozzle you mentioned? Don't have any 450i drums in the office to play about with unfortunately!

Thanks