Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

KM Documentaion USB Drive

Curious if any techs in here have ever purchased and/or used the KM Documentation USB Drive they sell. I'm only asking as they seem to charge a small fortune for it, and was wondering if there is any advantage to this drive as opposed to just downloading everything yourself and putting it onto your own flash drive. Is there a menu system on it, making it easier to find things, or is it just a collection of PDF files tossed onto the drive, possibly sorted by model and/or subject material in separate folders or something?

I'm just trying to see if there is any justification to what they charge for the drive.
    Konica Minolta Bulletin Template

Bulletin # 9407
    Date: 06/09/21
    Subject: Documentation USB Drive Updated to version 26
    Service Communication: 188
    Supersedes Bulletin 9407 dated 02/24/21
    The Service Communications Department is pleased to announce that the documentation thumb drive has been updated to
    version 26 and is now available.

This 32GB USB drive contains:
    • Bulletins
    o Service Communication Bulletins
    o Technical Education Bulletins
    o Parts Bulletin
    o Technical Bulletins
    o Safety Bulletins
    • Configuration Sheets/Spec & Install Guides
    • End of Life listings
    • Model Cross Reference Listings
    • Parts Manuals
    • User Manuals PDF and HTML
    • Installation Instructions
    • bizhub vCare Configuration Guides
    • Service Manuals
    • Spec and Install Guides
    • Troubleshooting Guides

This USB drive can be ordered on line at a cost of $50.00 using item number 7660766056. Notification of updated drives will
    be sent out as new products are introduced or updated information becomes available. Any order currently backordered will
    receive the new version drive.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Re: KM Documentaion USB Drive

I don't get. Get over charged for USB memory, waiting for postage. Maybe 15 years ago, I know in Australia average internet speed was only 2MBps

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

I think it comes down to what is your time worth..Everything on this USB drive can be found and downloaded by any certified KM tech. How many hours would it take to to get this into a useful structure? For $50 you can buy 1 and simply copy it for other techs. Maybe you even start keeping the one you bought up to date. But if you have the time I'm sure you can spend a fraction on the USB drive and do this all yourself..

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

If your dealer is protech you're able to get a it free of charge from what our DSM mentioned to us. I personally don't like the way it is organized, but its good to have to save some time.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    I think it comes down to what is your time worth..Everything on this USB drive can be found and downloaded by any certified KM tech. How many hours would it take to to get this into a useful structure? For $50 you can buy 1 and simply copy it for other techs. Maybe you even start keeping the one you bought up to date. But if you have the time I'm sure you can spend a fraction on the USB drive and do this all yourself..
    I 100% agree, it's not like the information isn't available for download already. I was just wondering if there was some sort of structure or additional software involved that might make it easier and faster to find what you need. Perhaps some sort of search functionality or menu system on the drive in addition to the documents. If it is just a bunch of documents thrown on the drive and they charge you for that, I'd just assume spend $7 to $10 on my own 32GB drive and just load it up myself.
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

I'm going with copyrooks here. Although very good question.
    I can make it better suiting my own needs than universal ones.
    50 bucks if you want it to fast share amongst inside techs shouldn't be a problem.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

I am willing to contribute a portion of this amount and see how much knowledge will help me. In your place, I would help active contributors to this forum. Contributors in information, in help.
    Nothing like day after day

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

We've never gotten the drive from KM. I just started downloading all the info we need/use on a regular basis probably 15 or more years ago. Then I just update the stuff we already have, on one PC, then sync to all others. I just keep the stuff up to date during down time between service calls. Seems ridiculous to me to for my company to pay for something we all already have access to.

My update process is to check for all the latest EOL, Cross Ref, Parts Prices, Solutions, drivers, firmware etc. on a monthly or so basis. Then just download the new stuff and replace the old with it.
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Anyone have part number for this?
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Certified Konica Expert 2,500+ Posts

"This USB drive can be ordered on line at a cost of $50.00 using item number 7660766056. Notification of updated drives will
    be sent out as new products are introduced or updated information becomes available. Any order currently backordered will
    receive the new version drive."

was in the first post.
    We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two.
    Also don't ask me for files without a contributor badge.