Senior Tech 100+ Posts
    Build a decent PC or buy a NAS

Hi Guys,

I know the KM forum is not really the correct place for this post, but copier engineers know shit-loads about tech.

We are retiring our SBS2011 Server which has Exchange running on it. We're moving to Office365 for email.
    With no SBS2011 we will have no Domain, no AD and a severe lack of storage. So we'll be going back to a Workgroup (there are only 6 users and 3 are remote)

We'd like the remote workers to log in to Virtual Machines (VM's sound way cooler)

What is better, build a good PC which can accommodate the 3 VMs and have all the storage we need. Or buy a 4 port QNAP NAS which will do the same.

Thanks in advance....

Former KM Senior Tech 500+ Posts srvctec's Avatar

Re: Build a decent PC or buy a NAS

I have no idea BUT you might get a LOT more eyes (especially those inclined to know the answer that may never look at the KM thread) on your question if you post it over here:

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/
    Started in the copier service business in the fall of 1988 and worked at the same company for 33.5 years, becoming the senior tech in 2004 but left to pursue another career on 4/29/22.

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts femaster's Avatar

I can't really answer your questions, but the one bit of advice I can provide: Don't buy QNAP. They are constantly being hacked, they have (had) backdoor access built into them on purpose, have been getting hit by ransomware, etc. QNAP NAS boxes are just a security nightmare, and have been for years. If want to risk your data, and have to constantly be updating the thing to fix the never-ending barrage of security issues, then by all means...

My advice: Go with a Synology NAS. Sure they cost a bit more, but there is a reason for that.
    Which ever route you take, hopefully it works out for you.

QNAP Systems - Wikipedia

Data-stealing, password-harvesting, backdoor-opening QNAP NAS malware cruises along at 62,000 infections • The Register
    Backdoor was discovered on QNAP NAS storage devices
    QNAP removes backdoor account in NAS backup, disaster recovery app
    QNAP confirms Qlocker ransomware used HBS backdoor account
    A Ricoh Service Tech for 7 year. A Konica Minolta Service Tech for 7 years. Now, KM service manager for 3 years.
    My Ricoh knowledge is slowly dwindling away at this point. Many things have been lost to time...

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by femaster View Post
    I can't really answer your questions, but the one bit of advice I can provide: Don't buy QNAP. They are constantly being hacked, they have (had) backdoor access built into them on purpose, have been getting hit by ransomware, etc. QNAP NAS boxes are just a security nightmare, and have been for years. If want to risk your data, and have to constantly be updating the thing to fix the never-ending barrage of security issues, then by all means...

My advice: Go with a Synology NAS. Sure they cost a bit more, but there is a reason for that.
    Which ever route you take, hopefully it works out for you.

QNAP Systems - Wikipedia

Data-stealing, password-harvesting, backdoor-opening QNAP NAS malware cruises along at 62,000 infections • The Register
    Backdoor was discovered on QNAP NAS storage devices
    QNAP removes backdoor account in NAS backup, disaster recovery app
    QNAP confirms Qlocker ransomware used HBS backdoor account
    Interesting didn't know QNAP are so vulnerable.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Senior Tech 100+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by srvctec View Post
    I have no idea BUT you might get a LOT more eyes (especially those inclined to know the answer that may never look at the KM thread) on your question if you post it over here:

https://www.copytechnet.com/forums/connectivity/

Good point, well made.
    I should have posted there in the first place :-)