Thread: Drum Scratched

Service Manager 1,000+ Posts

Drum Scratched

had an account with micro scratches on the K drum,,Less than 5K prints. had to replace drum, could not find a reason for the scratches. Went back out 1 week later, same micro scratches on new K drum and now the same on CMY drums. After some research we found that the internal temp sensor was malfunctioning, showing 0 degrees. machine was over compensating for what it thought was a freezing environment. Hope I can save someone a good chunk of wasted $$$. E

Master Of The Obvious 10,000+ Posts
    Drum Scratched

Re: Drum Scratched

Thanks for sharing!

I had a C754e that kept buffing the gloss off the black drum. It turned out that there was a problem with the black developing unit. It was so full it was forcing developer out the doctor blade gap. There was a mound of developer that piled up on top of the developing unit, buffing the surface off the drum. =^..^=
    If you'd like a serious answer to your request:
    1) demonstrate that you've read the manual
    2) demonstrate that you made some attempt to fix it.
    3) if you're going to ask about jams include the jam code.
    4) if you're going to ask about an error code include the error code.
    5) You are the person onsite. Only you can make observations.

blackcat: Master Of The Obvious =^..^=

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by emujo2 View Post
    had an account with micro scratches on the K drum,,Less than 5K prints. had to replace drum, could not find a reason for the scratches. Went back out 1 week later, same micro scratches on new K drum and now the same on CMY drums. After some research we found that the internal temp sensor was malfunctioning, showing 0 degrees. machine was over compensating for what it thought was a freezing environment. Hope I can save someone a good chunk of wasted $$$. E
    Perhaps knowing the model will be of use. I will guess it's C250i
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Yes, I series. C450i to be exact.

Senior Tech 250+ Posts

i series, frequently replaced drums......

Field Supervisor 500+ Posts

We’ve had quite a few like this in the UK.

It appears that the sensors get damaged when the machine is being assembled at the factory.

Another symptom of a failed sensor is solid black bands at each end of the K drum!

Service Manager 5,000+ Posts tsbservice's Avatar

MML list is your friend. Study it all anomalies will present there.
    A tree is known by its fruit, a man by his deeds. A good deed is never lost, he who sows courtesy, reaps friendship, and he who plants kindness gathers love.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

I don't reply to private messages from end users.

Service Manager 2,500+ Posts
    Drum Scratched

Why couldn't K/M leave well enough alone. Just stayed with the 4 series style drum. Probably answer my own question, I'm sure it's because they know the consumable life counters were turned off on the 4 series and drums & other items could go 2-3 cycles before changing. They must of realized they weren't making enough $$$ on the consumables so they go to a piece of crap drums with a PCR!

Little does Kon/Min know a move like this will hurt them in the long run when the end user upgrades and wants NO part of a consumable money pit and buys different OEM!

Drum Scratched

So I get that the machine thought it was freezing and regardless of the notion a code should have been displayed/thought of on the development-side (you know, because would be a very rare operating environment).

What actually caused the scratches? xbelt running 24/7 or something?

Possibly an overcharge of the pre charge roller. Not 100% certain.